• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] Nerdgasm pic opportunity

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
That's lol- and nerdworthy Wonka

another thing I remember, is Spock hanging from a tree, having fun with a girl (rare occasion).

But. This song somehow makes me the feeling of DooM, the first true 3d shooting game in the world, incredible, one and only.

The audio makes the resemblance - not the visuals ;)

Cool, nerdy moods for me from this video.

Like I was finding my way to the Cyberdemon on a huge arena - say, the last level.

[YOUTUBE="KHyCnanvMEw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHyCnanvMEw[/YOUTUBE]

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Not sure I will be able to upload this picture (never done it before)...

This is an ENTP word art - via Wordle - Create

Does this count? (hoping it works)

Can someone explain how to get it not as a thumnail (although you would get the gist... looks a bit like a finger print)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
A ramdisk? You running some kind of server off of that? A database perhaps?

If you've seen the youtube of the ridiculous numbers of samsung ssds in RAID then does it compare? Can you copy a DVD file before the DVD itself hits the ground when dropped out of what I think was a second story window?

Oh yeah and liquid cooling running at 20 degrees? What kind of rad does that? Are you running a peilter somewhere on that? Mine sits at like 35 degrees with no overclock and I've got a triple and a single rad in the loop. Admittedly the 3870X2 in the loop won't help but that virtually never budges on temperature where as the CPU can hit north of 40 celsius!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Stand up and be counted, for what you are about to receive.

001g.gif

002b.gif

003o.gif

004l.gif

005g.gif

006iv.gif

008nv.gif

007x.gif
AWESOME!!!!
Reminds me of some of the stuff in one of the rooms in the Museum of Science in Boston.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
A ramdisk? You running some kind of server off of that? A database perhaps?
I'll install at least 4 virtual servers on a ramdisk one or two at a time, then move them to ssd. Installation times for anything are spectacular :D Perhaps I'll keep one server permanently on RAM, if it really shows great improvement in responsiveness & efficiency & I need it.

I'll mostly need services for
-software development enviroment, like different systems to run my programs in, version control server etc. Some tasks need different versions of database servers installed.
-webpages, other public services and what's related to it.
-electronic portfolio
-showcasing possible system setups for potential customers.
-support team projects I sometimes have, mostly with services that facilitate communication and groupwork
-support help desk & computer fixing I sometimes do
-intranet

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
001iq.gif

002v.gif

003ns.gif

Here's the lock stitch thing in color:
004g.gif

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I'll install at least 4 virtual servers on a ramdisk one or two at a time, then move them to ssd. Installation times for anything are spectacular :D Perhaps I'll keep one server permanently on RAM, if it really shows great improvement in responsiveness & efficiency & I need it.

I'll mostly need services for
-software development enviroment, like different systems to run my programs in, version control server etc. Some tasks need different versions of database servers installed.
-webpages, other public services and what's related to it.
-electronic portfolio
-showcasing possible system setups for potential customers.
-support team projects I sometimes have, mostly with services that facilitate communication and groupwork
-support help desk & computer fixing I sometimes do
-intranet
If you're virtualising then isn't Mac better? One of my friends is quite a virtualisation nut and he specifically got a Mac... can't remember precisely why but he reckons it runs better on a Mac.

As for RAMDisks, have you seen OCZs next project? A RAM disc that's effectively run in RAID through the PCI-E slot. Some ridiculous speeds and even more ridiculous prices...

Man I'd love one to run my computer on...

Btw, don't you find your thrashing the nuts of the processor and memory trying to deal with the huge I/O?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
those pictures take too long to load... they're too big

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
^^ I don't know Xand, i've never seen it brought up when good price/money has been discussed - not to say that it might do well. I've gathered Apple is in for more of a user friendly products, great support and that kind of thing - not the current corporate thing, Blade Servers and PC stuff, and it's corporates which are mostly what I'm trying to get as customers.

Might be cool to expand to macs tho. I'm seeing more of a need for linux, personally. But, that's just my situation. The three OS families complement each other nicely, there's use and feel for everyone.

Windows must be the incarnation of a rich, tyrannic bastard tho.

But, Cpu utilization per I/O? Good idea. I'll do one right now.

Transfer of 250MB/s, from RAM device to SSD:

attachment.php

One of 2,8GB/s, from RAM to RAM. It does go trough CPU.

attachment.php

Seems like the RAM disk to RAM disk transfer has about 50% lower CPU utilization per MB transferred. Transfers were continuous with a much greater transfer size that could fit on cache.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Might be cool to expand to macs tho. I'm seeing more of a need for linux, personally. But, that's just my situation. The three OS families complement each other nicely, there's use and feel for everyone.

Windows must be the incarnation of a rich, tyrannic bastard tho.
Oh I'm afriad I'm not a fan of Linux for anything but specific apps. I'm no programmer and the GUI seems no more than something nice to look at as you make the rest of the OS as you go along.

Mr Gates is a fan though...
Seems like the RAM disk to RAM disk transfer has about 50% lower CPU utilization per MB transferred. Transfers were continuous with a much greater transfer size that could fit on cache.
Sorry I didn't mean transfer, I meant more the processing. I mean the RAMDisk has to have a huge through put capacity. Surely it fills the pipelines of the CPU to overflowing?

I mean if you installed an OS from the RAMDisk to the RAMDisk then doesn't the rest of the computer break out in a cold sweat? I'm figuring you've got DDR3 and a Core i7 running on that machine but still I'd expect it to max out.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
This RAMdisk is in host's real RAM. That is why there is no pci-express or other bus I/O involved. The delay of the memory is thus well reflected in the CPU utilization chart.

p.s. It's cheaper to buy MB that supports big memory - from 8Gb to 128Gb, and to buy the memory - than it is to buy I/O bus connected physical RAM devices.

On 50% probability, my next server will have about 64-128Gb RAM. I'll program a special-purpose web crawler, content analysis engine and search engine. I'll start in in a year or year and a half.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Those are awesome pictures, the Decline, I always thought Betelguese was the largest
star until now. Guess my astronomy knowledge is out of date.