• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] You crazy ENTPs!

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah, I get that now.

Oh ok, thanks. I misinterpret the Rational's tendency to be blunt with being just plain angry. I always find a more subtle way to put things unless I'm driven to anger. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not in the least bit angry with you - just pointing out you are saying ENTPs are crazy (check out the title)...

NTs will state things that may feel hostile to be on the receiving end but there is no emotion in it... ENTPs characters are hard to define or to pin point to one specific set of behaviours...

It's really easy to see other people's issues but less easy to identify and work on our own. The NT will work on his own stuff at a time when he wants to do that for himself....

He sees the big picture.... without huge efforts he may never get you to see it with any degree of clarity....

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
You're sure he's ENTP?

I'm not sure I'd be socailly anxious when new to a forum - actually I might be... but certainly around new people I'd be anxious... I'm much better in smaller groups with people I know and trust...

I'm SUCH a show off in large groups, which to an extent feels a bit ailien to me. In smaller groups I can enjoy the extroverness of my character without feeling I'm over doing it....

L

Qre:us

no...? Why do you ask that?

You being spotlighted by a virtual stranger regarding mental illness makes you question THAT person's motive, and possibilities of what they (might) have 'seen' in you to ask the virtual stranger for clarification.

Now change the virtual stranger to a best friend, one of the security areas in most people's lives, and you won't be at such a loss:

I was at a loss, because personally if I had even the slightest hint that there was some chemical gone screwy in my brain I'd be breathing down the neck of whatever doctor could get me the pills. haha. :yes:

regarding his reaction to what you and your INTJ friend did to him:

Also... it was suggested by an INTJ friend that he may have borderline personality disorder. We read over the description and it sounded exactly like him, but when I used that as a defense in an argument, he got really upset, even eventually to the point of crying because, he said, he wanted to feel like his emotions were real and not just some chemical that had gone wrong in the brain.

I kind of understand that, though, and it seems to go well with the Rational's need for a sense of competence. This theme was repeated again when he said though he was taking some of my St. John's Wort pills that he'd rather not have to rely on them. He actually used the same word competence though I hadn't discussed the concept with him. It was really interesting.

I.e., basically talk about a close friend with each other on the status of their "mental illness", with neither of you being professionals in the subject, and then approaching him about it, and being suprised by his reaction. Is that rational on YOUR part? Can you see why he had insecurity and confusion over this action of yours?

You guys' perceptions are usually over my head, and thus your reasoning and therefore where you are coming from are usually over my head, too. It's frustrating and I want to figure out a way to solve it. :unsure:

Do you see how easily you get frustrated when opinions don't "sweetly" guide you towards an expected progress of yours? It's human nature...maybe this insight of a moment of frustration on your part, and how easily it can be induced, might allow you to understand a lifetime of frustration on his part, induced by his upbringing and miscommunication/lack of connection with those he considers the closest to him.

Just a thought.

PS - I personally don't understand this concept of social anxiety in a forum (web), of all places.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This person is your best friend yet you spend time trying to convince him he has a personality disorder, you're surprised that your friend argues with you yet it's the friend who's crazy?

I think the problem with this particular ENTP is that he doesn't know when it's time to delete someone from the friend list. Someone unable to understand that a individual is more than just than MBTI personality type - any other type of singular definition- is definitely not someone I would personally hang out with, so I nominate this ENTP for sainthood for not having throat chopped the OP at least twice.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
I'm not in the least bit angry with you - just pointing out you are saying ENTPs are crazy (check out the title)...
I just meant I don't understand you. I respect your utter brilliance and I recognize that that's what causes the communication barriers between us. I didn't mean you were actually crazy. Sorry. :doh:

(Why would I put the bowing smiley at the bottom if I didn't reserve a great deal of respect for you guys??)

NTs will state things that may feel hostile to be on the receiving end but there is no emotion in it... ENTPs characters are hard to define or to pin point to one specific set of behaviours...
See, yeah, he'll say he's only frustrated when his tone of voice sounds angry. It's hard because I always listen to tone of voice more than I do the words people use.

It's really easy to see other people's issues but less easy to identify and work on our own. The NT will work on his own stuff at a time when he wants to do that for himself....
icon_e_confused.gif

So I'm supposed to work on my own issues even though he doesn't want to work on his? That seems like a huge unfair double standard to me.

He sees the big picture.... without huge efforts he may never get you to see it with any degree of clarity....
yeah, he usually doesn't like to deliberate to help me understand, and he hates being repetitive (although he'll repeat the same statement the same exact way if I don't operate in response or accord to it).

I'm not sure I'd be socailly anxious when new to a forum - actually I might be... but certainly around new people I'd be anxious... I'm much better in smaller groups with people I know and trust...
No, only when they criticize him.

I'm SUCH a show off in large groups, which to an extent feels a bit ailien to me. In smaller groups I can enjoy the extroverness of my character without feeling I'm over doing it....
Makes sense.

You being spotlighted by a virtual stranger regarding mental illness makes you question THAT person's motive, and possibilities of what they (might) have 'seen' in you to ask the virtual stranger for clarification.

Now change the virtual stranger to a best friend, one of the security areas in most people's lives, and you won't be at such a loss:

regarding his reaction to what you and your INTJ friend did to him:

I.e., basically talk about a close friend with each other on the status of their "mental illness", with neither of you being professionals in the subject, and then approaching him about it, and being suprised by his reaction. Is that rational on YOUR part? Can you see why he had insecurity and confusion over this action of yours?

Do you see how easily you get frustrated when opinions don't "sweetly" guide you towards an expected progress of yours? It's human nature...maybe this insight of a moment of frustration on your part, and how easily it can be induced, might allow you to understand a lifetime of frustration on his part, induced by his upbringing and miscommunication/lack of connection with those he considers the closest to him.

Just a thought.

PS - I personally don't understand this concept of social anxiety in a forum (web), of all places.

WOW!

And I thought I was good at turning the tables... man, that was genius. :worthy:

Yeah, I see how that could be hurtful now. I feel really dumb for not putting myself in his shoes. :doh: Is that an S thing to do? :huh: I was going to say, "but I didn't do anything irrational" but when I thought about if I were in his situation, it suddenly clicked. He was fine with the hypothesis but not when we threw it in his face. Yikes, I suck... :cry:

Also, that last bit there about having problems communicating his whole life is really insightful. Have you had the same issue? Good grief, poor guy. I'm really starting to understand where he's coming from now... :(

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
This person is your best friend yet you spend time trying to convince him he has a personality disorder, you're surprised that your friend argues with you yet it's the friend who's crazy?
I apologized and we reconciled over it, but you're right. I was trying to help and I felt compassion for him but I just didn't see that I was being too certain of myself. :( :( :(

I think the problem with this particular ENTP is that he doesn't know when it's time to delete someone from the friend list. Someone unable to understand that a individual is more than just than MBTI personality type - any other type of singular definition- is definitely not someone I would personally hang out with, so I nominate this ENTP for sainthood for not having throat chopped the OP at least twice.
Yeah, makes sense, he does put up with alot, but I didn't think till now that most of it was that big of a deal. This stuff usually rolls like water off a duck's back for me and I usually don't understand why it doesn't for others too. We've been best friends for ten years or more, it's just that things have been REALLY tense in the last year or so.

I see him as more than an MBTI type, I don't know where you get that I don't, I was just trying to use his type to figure out a possible way of better interaction. Please don't assume I'm just being an asshole. I suck at the NF diplomacy stuff, everyone has weaknesses for their strengths.........

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Thanks for all your help everyone, I'm gonna keep up with this thread but even what I've learned so far I think will start helping me in my interactions with him.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
the thing is it's really frustrating if you have everyone trying to figure you out as if you were some monkey in a lab, and i think that happens to many intuitive types since our society seems to be sensor focused.

my suggestion would be to just forget about trying to figure him out, take him as he is, spend time with him and don't worry about any potential personality disorders unless he leaves a severed head in your freezer.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
the thing is it's really frustrating if you have everyone trying to figure you out as if you were some monkey in a lab, and i think that happens to many intuitive types since our society seems to be sensor focused.
Well no, he's making alot more sense to me just after reading this thread. Thanks.

my suggestion would be to just forget about trying to figure him out, take him as he is, spend time with him and don't worry about any potential personality disorders unless he leaves a severed head in your freezer.
haha. That's what I plan on doing. Some of the activities he likes are hard for me to get into, such as more strategy-oriented games and shows with complex rapid dialogue. But at the very least I'll show my appreciation for his love of those things when I find it hard to get into them.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I just meant I don't understand you. I respect your utter brilliance and I recognize that that's what causes the communication barriers between us. I didn't mean you were actually crazy. Sorry. :doh::

You get it I wont labour... dont' take offense at the other thread... it's just really common for non NTs to think NTs are mentally ill when there is nothing wrong with them at all. So don't take offense...

See, yeah, he'll say he's only frustrated when his tone of voice sounds angry. It's hard because I always listen to tone of voice more than I do the words people use.
:(

Yes - NT's are often very direct in saying whats in their heads... they dont get you are recieving it in an emotional way..... You will know when an NT is angry

So I'm supposed to work on my own issues even though he doesn't want to work on his? That seems like a huge unfair double standard to me.

Yes of course you are. its the only person you can change after all (and to be honest it's you that are stating you have a problem not him) :D. IF he is telling you all the time to fix your life - then you may have a degree of justification at point out his flaws... but right now you are attacking him with your point of view... and it is an attack.

You wantting to work on yourself is your own choice, his desire not to work on himself is his choice..... and trust me he works on himself infinately more than you do, but not in a way you value or perhaps see - ENTPs are all about self growth...

You are not his judge or boss or parent, it's not up to you to tell him he needs to work on himself... Support him if he asks for help or sounds like he needs a friend but don't tell him he needs to change who he is. it would bug the hell out of you if people pointed out your weak points and told you to change...

yeah, he usually doesn't like to deliberate to help me understand, and he hates being repetitive (although he'll repeat the same statement the same exact way if I don't operate in response or accord to it).

He doesn't have the teaching skills to be able to reframe his thinking into a style you cna get.

You might want to suggest to him to draw you a diagram or other style that you wold get - different people have different learning styles.

He may not have the communication skills to change how he communicates his idea to you - so he might not be abel to convert his idea to a picture or to less abstract language.
In order for his ideas to be valued he will need to work on that as an issue for him... there are book on how to communicate your ideas... but that is his issue.

You may choose to practice understanding abstract concepts a very SP problem. SP's use concrete language and are less impaginative.. NT's think and use abstract language... You can change yourself but improving your abstract thinking through practice of looking communication you dont' normally get easily.

IT's hard for you because your way of learning is different so it all feels a bit messed up when you hear it... suggest he explains it in a way you can get... he might not be able to do that, but at least you understand he is not just repeating himself because either of you are stupid - you just have different language skills, he just lacks breath of communication and you lack the ability to understand abstract concepts...

No, only when they criticize him.

Most peoples idea of a good time is to be criticised in a public space... always a pleasure... :D Id' respond badly too.. He is likely to be defensive

hope this helps and really don't be offended by the other thread...

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP
Naw, not offended by the other thread at all, I don't see how I could be. I wasn't hurt at all by anything you guys said, just surprised at the reaction I got. I'll try to get back to this tomorrow, have to go to work soon.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You wantting to work on yourself is your own choice, his desire not to work on himself is his choice..... and trust me he works on himself infinately more than you do, but not in a way you value or perhaps see - ENTPs are all about self growth...

some answers in here are pretty passive aggressive.

Just saying. You might want to fix that, us NTs are supposed not to like bias.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
some answers in here are pretty passive aggressive.

Just saying. You might want to fix that, us NTs are supposed not to like bias.

Eck - please work on fixing yourself - leave me out of it.

and No I'm not passive agressive, I'm pain old agressive when I need to be.

In life you can't FIX people, you can't didctate they change, you can't make them do what you want them to do to make them perfect in your head... it's just WRONG.... You can work on yourself to be more tollerant and patient with other types, other learning styles..

You can cure an alchoaulic, they have to cure themselves...you can support them towards that goal...

When people come over saying they like NT's but need to change them so they fit into their view of a claustrophonic world - it's them that are the person with the problem, focus on their intollerance and lack of acceptance of another person. So many people with savour complexes...

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
*yawns*
I'm very happy with myself thank you.

So your idea is to tell everybody how they should not do what you don't want them to do.
Broken record anybody?

While I had a talk about that in a café just yesterday and agree to an extent, the thing is you don't have perfect information when a stranger tells you about how he sees another stranger other than his 'mbti type'. So acting all knowing is neither a really great display of intelligence nor wisdom.

I'd gladly hear about your personal experiences, but at 3 degrees away from the original data the distortion tend to come up with unicorns and dragons

In life you can't FIX people, you can't didctate they change, you can't make them do what you want them to do to make them perfect in your head... it's just WRONG.... You can work on yourself to be more tollerant and patient with other types, other learning styles..
any other obvious things to share?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
No my idea is that the guy's OP wanted to change and ENTP into an SJ - suggesting to the NT that he had BPD and that he ought to change himself...

You don't need to agree with me at all... just in my experience you can't make other people change and the more you try the more pissed off with you they get. Which is what seems to be happening to the OP's

Maybe you need to read the thread and see where te OP is trying to change his so called fireind to fit his ideas...

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
No my idea is that the guy's OP wanted to change and ENTP into an SJ - suggesting to the NT that he had BPD and that he ought to change himself...

You don't need to agree with me at all... just in my experience you can't make other people change and the more you try the more pissed off with you they get. Which is what seems to be happening to the OP's

Maybe you need to read the thread and see where te OP is trying to change his so called fireind to fit his ideas...

I know what you mean. My dads favourite lecture is how if I was more motivated and focused and payed more attention to the details I'd be able to do anything.

What he never realises is that if i did that I would no longer have my intuition or imagination or analysis skills. ie not an ENTP.

stellar renegade

PEST that STEPs on PETS
MBTI Type
ESTP

Where did you get that idea, again? I'd like to see which of my statements you got that from. I definitely don't want to change him into an SJ even if I were trying to change his basic personality. There are more than enough SJs in this world.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Where did you get that idea, again? I'd like to see which of my statements you got that from. I definitely don't want to change him into an SJ even if I were trying to change his basic personality. There are more than enough SJs in this world.

I was making a point... if he fixed the things that bother you he stops being an entp....ok not nessesarily SJ.

Example - he needs to learn new ways to explain thing, he just repeats his idea...

A solution - you develope alternative learning styles to fit his communication....

That one is not his problem... you are an S and use concrete language he is an N and uses abstract... he is not wrong you are not right.... You are both different from each other.... But it's you who want him to change rather than being more flexble yourself.....

there are always multiple ways of looking at a problem, one empowers you to do something the other leaves you powerless and depndant on someone doing things for you

Steller - you seem to not see that you are pointing your finger at this guys NT'ness and finding fault... thats the basic premis of his personality - it's not a problem that requires a solution.... He is different to you that is all. My adive is to work on your tollerance levels unless there is a big problem you need to resolve

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Generally it's better to be percieved as such, as it makes it easier to enact yeur plans of world domination when noone really believes yeu're capable of such.

Being actually nuts just gets in the way.