User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Default INTPs: are you obsessed, by default?

Strange question, but I was thinking about it yesterday. When I was little I was always obsessed with something, be it pokemon, raccoons (I wanted one), a certain art style. I'd scrutinize every detail of all the information available on whatever I was obsessed with at the moment, getting immense pleasure from my gathered knowledge.

These days I'm not particularly obsessed with anything... then again, I feel that there's something missing in my life. It seems that either I'm mostly indifferent, or obsessed with some object, person or idea. I don't know if it's just me or maybe an INTP trait. Thoughts?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I suppose it sort of depends on your definition of obsession.

Basicly, if something interests us. We go all the way for it. If you see obsession as unhealthy then I'd say we're not obsessed, because to us, this is being healthy. And our 'obsessions' are not unhealthy.

the definition of obsession is a subjective one.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I do find, that when I find something interesting or enjoyable, I completely plunge into it and don't look back. I devour every manual, every book, every website, whatever on this subject until I'm generally satiated. It can dominate my thoughts, my time, my everything to the degradation of other interests and responsibilities. I have also noticed that this tendency has started to decline.

However, I do not know if this is exclusively INTP, hell it might be NT or everybody, but INTPs just have a different style of obsession.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I do find, that when I find something interesting or enjoyable, I completely plunge into it and don't look back. I devour every manual, every book, every website, whatever on this subject until I'm generally satiated. It can dominate my thoughts, my time, my everything to the degradation of other interests and responsibilities. I have also noticed that this tendency has started to decline.

However, I do not know if this is exclusively INTP, hell it might be NT or everybody, but INTPs just have a different style of obsession.
    That is where it becomes an obsession. I suffered from that a little in the past, particularly in school. But I've recently not let my interests get in the way of my responsibilities.

So I think this is ironed out when the INTP matures. And thus we can't really speak of obsessions anymore. Since we're not allowing responsibilities to suffer from it anymore.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I generally just get obsessed with something in my area of interest, but something that disrupts my view of the world. Psycho/sociopaths fit these criteria and I read a whole lot about them until I sort of had a grasp of how they might think.

Then I moved on. I don't really get carried away with my temporary obsession too much...

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

When I'm interested in something, like the above posts have said, I will research the hell out of it until I have drained every article and every source. But, this isn't me being obsessive; it's just me being interested in a subject. When I'm obsessed with something (or, regrettably, someone) it won't be unusual for me to lose sleep and overall compromise my health. If I'm simply interested in say, a new animal, I go through hours of reading into it, but if I have something to do (like sleep) I will be able to log myself off, or close the book. When I'm obsessed, I will lose sleep over it and move my routine around it. There was this one horrific time where I was obsessed with a crush, and wasted countless hours of productive coursework and exam study time for that person. I lost sleep because all I could think about was that person, and when I slept, I dreamed about them. I always put that person first before anyone, including myself. I did other things which I won't mention, but from that experience I can tell whether I am simply interested or obsessed. Having said that, people do mistake the two.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    When I'm interested in something, like the above posts have said, I will research the hell out of it until I have drained every article and every source. But, this isn't me being obsessive; it's just me being interested in a subject. When I'm obsessed with something (or, regrettably, someone) it won't be unusual for me to lose sleep and overall compromise my health. If I'm simply interested in say, a new animal, I go through hours of reading into it, but if I have something to do (like sleep) I will be able to log myself off, or close the book. When I'm obsessed, I will lose sleep over it and move my routine around it. There was this one horrific time where I was obsessed with a crush, and wasted countless hours of productive coursework and exam study time for that person. I lost sleep because all I could think about was that person, and when I slept, I dreamed about them. I always put that person first before anyone, including myself. I did other things which I won't mention, but from that experience I can tell whether I am simply interested or obsessed. Having said that, people do mistake the two.
    That's a good point; there is a difference. I've been there too, being obsessed with a person is deadly. Unlike an idea, the person is emotional and unpredictable and can hurt you Lol yeah I don't recommend it.

MBTI
    INTP

But I was reading somewhere else that INTPs have a hard time leaving bad relationships and have a pure sort of affection and trust for their partner. Might there be a connection?

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    That's a good point; there is a difference. I've been there too, being obsessed with a person is deadly. Unlike an idea, the person is emotional and unpredictable and can hurt you Lol yeah I don't recommend it.
    Oh yeah, very true...

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

I usually have a hard time closing a relationship because I find it hard to be assertive enough to dump them. But when I finally end it, leaving is the easiest part. Then again, I'm still not completely over an ex because we just fell apart, instead of officially ending it. But I wouldn't be surprised if there was a connection between obsession and your statement.