User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Berens in the Temperament book did say that when stressed, the NT "obsesses", and this would seem to be tied to their need of mastery and competence.
    So this is why I believe Keirsey was looking at the wrong things when he connected the NF to the ancient Choleric because of their tendency to erupt in emotion at times. The NT is the one that sounds more Choleric in its drives. (And Keirsey's view has apparently supported stereotypes of NT's being vulcans or robots).
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INTP

Obssessions are what I live for. If I'm in an inter-obsession faze I'm very mopey.

I get embarrassed all the time about what I read. At university I sneak into the library, make sure no-one I know is around and then quickly borrow my books at the self serve counter so no one knows. My family knows this about me to a certain extent, but friends at uni have no idea. For example, I'm interested in education, learning styles and unschooling at the moment.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Anyone else feel bored when they're NOT obsessed?

As for the whole knowing stuff and having no one to talk to, that's how I ended up here. There's few people who's interests match mine, just one thus far in fact. Hence forums are a nice outlet for a while.

Oh and in regard to obsession, I'd have thought that's when I start to think "I don't care if I am up all night, I HAVE to just try one more adjustment to my memory settings!!".

The question is, has anyone found a decent reliable way to snap an INTP out of the obsession? My wife would be most grateful for such a trick me thinks
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The question is, has anyone found a decent reliable way to snap an INTP out of the obsession? My wife would be most grateful for such a trick me thinks
    Substitute with other obsession? Twist neck of said INTP with 180? Chain said INTP up to the radiator, out of reach of computers and books?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Substitute with other obsession? Twist neck of said INTP with 180? Chain said INTP up to the radiator, out of reach of computers and books?
    That would be instruction would it not? I mostly react to such enforcement with resistance before I even draw breath or have chance to think.

It needs an element of... cunning. The sort of cunning where you do exactly as your mother requested without even realising how badly you just got played and what's more not even minding after you've found out.

Oh and before some smartarse tries the obvious, brain rules everything. Sex does not work through focus/ obsession.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

That would be instruction would it not? I mostly react to such enforcement with resistance before I even draw breath or have chance to think.

It needs an element of... cunning. The sort of cunning where you do exactly as your mother requested without even realising how badly you just got played and what's more not even minding after you've found out.

Oh and before some smartarse tries the obvious, brain rules everything. Sex does not work through focus/ obsession.
    It does have to be pretty subtle. I think we can sniff out coercion almost instantaneously. Show us why it could be interesting and have it pique our curiosity, and we'll probably do the rest.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    It does have to be pretty subtle. I think we can sniff out coercion almost instantaneously. Show us why it could be interesting and have it pique our curiosity, and we'll probably do the rest.
    Oh great.. now all I can see is Cesar Millan saying "engage the nose and the mind will follow". Kinda nice how the type known for their grand intellectual pursuits is also the most dog like...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Oh great.. now all I can see is Cesar Millan saying "engage the nose and the mind will follow". Kinda nice how the type known for their grand intellectual pursuits is also the most dog like...
    "I'm the pack leader. I'm calm and assertive. Shh."

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I think all types have their "hooks" that can be used. But it is a good connection

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    "Tsszt!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    ENTJ.... calm and assertive... is this something someone described you as or something you picked up :winkwink:

(My father's an ENTJ... he'd say he was calm and assertive.. our dog disagreed... more assertive and assertive. Calm got shot when it didn't do as it was told.)