User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 59

  1. #11
    Pose! Salt n' pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    I have a rule when it comes to people, make sure no one else is #1 in your life.

  2. #12
    The Architect Alwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    922

    Default

    OP's description is similar for me though the interests are not linear but have a strange rotation of intensity. For example, a few years ago I was reading about failures in the education system and it's ideological foundations. It led me to the doctrine of the "blank slate" which then led to a book of the same name by Steven Pinker. Pinker is an evolutionary psychologist that has popularized both that field as well as issues to do with the fundamental mechanistic structure of the brain, language, and neuroscience.

    So once I had a taste of brain science after reading his other book "How the Mind Works" I was immersed in these topics periodically to the present--and just recently read "The Brain That Changes Itself" by Norman Doidge and now reading "Consciousness Explained" by Daniel Dennett. I say it isn't linear but comes in waves because I didn't stay interested everyday for three years, but rather, for a month I'd be immersed in it, then some study or book would reference something related, and throw me off for the next two months until I got my fix, then I'd be drawn back in when the subject came full circle.

    It's sort of like how you get caught up reading some wikipedia artcle, and the internal links to other topics draw you away, then two hours later your back again, surprised by how much time has passed. It seems in hindsight that the brain/mind is the focal point of my interests and everything else is an offshoot, but I may be able to point it at other topics if I really analyzed all the stuff I research.

    Here's a question for you INTP's. Do your friends and family know about your interests? Mine would be shocked to find out just how much I read and research topics because I never feel the need to inform them.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alpaca View Post
    But I was reading somewhere else that INTPs have a hard time leaving bad relationships and have a pure sort of affection and trust for their partner. Might there be a connection?
    No, if something is bad for me I have no problem getting rid of it. It's the good relationships that end badly.

    Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    I have a rule when it comes to people, make sure no one else is #1 in your life.
    I do that, but that doesn't stop me from going through bad feelings every once in a while.

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Here's a question for you INTP's. Do your friends and family know about your interests? Mine would be shocked to find out just how much I read and research topics because I never feel the need to inform them.
    They usually know the subjects of my interests, but I often baffle them by the amount I know about them.

  4. #14
    The Architect Alwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    I have a rule when it comes to people, make sure no one else is #1 in your life.
    All I can hear after reading this is You are the love of my life

  5. #15
    Pose! Salt n' pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    All I can hear after reading this is You are the love of my life
    Sometimes, you just gotta tell that voice in your head to "schysch!"

  6. #16
    The Architect Alwar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    Sometimes, you just gotta tell that voice in your head to "schysch!"
    I can't help it, now, after seeing the title to this thread, I am now hearing up where we belong.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Willfrey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    IsTP
    Posts
    615

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Here's a question for you INTP's. Do your friends and family know about your interests? Mine would be shocked to find out just how much I read and research topics because I never feel the need to inform them.
    For the most part no. They get glimpses, like when my mom asks me what I want for my birthday and I ask for a book on whatever random topic tickles my fancy.

    One thing that I've always enjoyed is not making my interests apparent. That way you can bust out your knowledge/talent from out of the blue to impress For instance, I was dating a girl for about two months and never said a word about the years I'd taken piano lessons. One day we are walking through Costco where they had a digital piano hooked up for customers to tinker on, so sat down and busted out Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

  8. #18
    Pose! Salt n' pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    I can't help it, now, after seeing the title to this thread, I am now hearing up where we belong.
    Sorry, the universe is conspiring in my favor: "This video is not available in your country due to copyright restrictions." Good luck everybody!

  9. #19
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post
    For the most part no. They get glimpses, like when my mom asks me what I want for my birthday and I ask for a book on whatever random topic tickles my fancy.

    One thing that I've always enjoyed is not making my interests apparent. That way you can bust out your knowledge/talent from out of the blue to impress For instance, I was dating a girl for about two months and never said a word about the years I'd taken piano lessons. One day we are walking through Costco where they had a digital piano hooked up for customers to tinker on, so sat down and busted out Rachmaninoff's Second Piano Concerto.
    Yes, I love the look of shock on some people's faces when I surprise them with my knowledge/skills etc. Wow, busting out a Rachmaninoff piano piece all out of the blue sounds to me like the one of the most interesting things I could ever do.

  10. #20
    Pose! Salt n' pepper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Posts
    2,008

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Wow, busting out a Rachmaninoff piano piece all out of the blue sounds to me like the one of the most interesting things I could ever do.
    and also, I fall flat for knowledgeable dudes. It's on my list! :steam:

Similar Threads

  1. Are you intimidated by other forum users?
    By Salomé in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 298
    Last Post: 09-10-2012, 05:18 PM
  2. [ENFJ] ENFJS are you obsessive?
    By lilypad in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 01:42 AM
  3. [INTP] INTPs are you frustrated with life?
    By think2much in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 03:59 PM
  4. Introverts: Are you energized by other Introverts?
    By BlackCat in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-19-2009, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO