User Tag List

View Poll Results: NT's used alternative medicine.....?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Accupuncture

9 33.33%
  • Accupressure

6 22.22%
  • Homoeopathy

2 7.41%
  • Herbal - pills/tinctures

13 48.15%
  • Reki

2 7.41%
  • Faith healing

3 11.11%
  • Hypnotisim

1 3.70%
  • Chiropractice

7 25.93%
  • Osteopathy

0 0%
  • Auro soma (colour therapy)

1 3.70%
  • Traditional Chinese Medicine (non accupuncture)

5 18.52%
  • Crystals

0 0%
  • Flower remedies

1 3.70%
  • Reflexology

1 3.70%
  • Rebirthing

0 0%
  • Past Life Regression

1 3.70%
  • Aroma therapy

4 14.81%
  • Hypnotherapy

3 11.11%
  • NLP

4 14.81%
  • Other..... on the thread

5 18.52%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 456

MBTI
    ENTP

Kat

A few years on a drug that is doing nothing - that SULKS!

I agree with the whole antibacterial/biotics... there is the other side of the coin too.... people need to be exposed to pathogens in order to keep their immune system health.... too much cleaning can activiely promote ill health.

I totally agree with the whole - pill pop for everything. we don't have as much of an issue with over prescribing for financial gain, however in large cities they prescribe to quickly because they are over run.

Cancer isn't one illness there are multiple... It's an abused word and the figures are skewed through better science to identify... 30 years ago a person would have died of old age, now it's Cancer - irrespective of the fact the person is 85....

The magic bullet concept is try in all walks of life not just medicine.... the new product that will change the universe...

I think the rise in alternative therapy/medicine is a back lash to the pill poping culture. Sadly both (and the rise in obesity) probably relate to the increase in stress in peoples lifes... Although that in itself might be a myth.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I think the rise in alternative therapy/medicine is a back lash to the pill poping culture. Sadly both (and the rise in obesity) probably relate to the increase in stress in peoples lifes... Although that in itself might be a myth.
    Stress in small amounts is healthy, without it, there's no reason to push oneself. It can increase the effectiveness of the immune system, and can help significantly in other ways as well.

The rise of stress isn't so much a new thing, it's existed for a long time, but people are growing less adept at coping, probably in large part due to several reasons, but most likely due to the repression of actions which once were stress relievers, such as abuse, smoking, drinking, and most of the ways humans have long since coped. These just aren't socially acceptable anymore, so the standard ways out, such as beating loved ones, or slaves, or getting drunk, just aren't 'allowed' to the normal populace any longer.

Toss in additional awareness of stress as a current cultural thing, and it can be found to have exceedingly adverse reactions as well. If yeu're EXPECTED to undergo stress, then it's more likely to occur, yeu're less likely to fight it when it shows up, and more willing to just let it take hold.

An interesting study I ran into awhile ago showed that PMS actually for the most part isn't even physical, the majority of it's actually cultural... if yeu're not EXPECTED to develop notable effects from it, or aren't expected to act in an exaggerated manner, then oddly enough, yeu probably won't experience even remotely as many emotional effects from menstruation, and most of the physical effects, such as cramping and so on are greatly diminished as well. In short, if yeu don't stress out ABOUT stress, then it won't amplify the effects, and won't be nearly as bad.

In any case, if our culture didn't emphasize stress so much, it probably wouldn't be nearly that big a deal. Yeu've mentioned very many times before yeurself, tinkerbell, about people believing they have mental illness due to being told such... stress is highly emphasized and virtually EVERYTHING can be attributed to stress, and almost all symptoms can be claimed to occur due to stress in one manner or another. I wouldn't be surprised at all if most 'stress' related cases are imagined, and only turn into REAL stress because of the anxiety they cause.

Obesity doesn't help either but there's a bazillion reasons for that.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well that one made me laugh Kat....

I'm not sure there is really a high propensty of slave (etc) beating to reduce stress in previous times.

I'd be more confident that the normal persons working life was active and more mannual than it is now, therefore there was more opportunity to burn stress off because life was more active. Women didn't have modern convieniences so would keep house by hand - which has a lot more effort involved.

The down side of IT and development of thigns to make life convieniet lowers physical activity.

I do agree that a person needs motivators, but I don't consider those to be stress (I'm probablt thinking in more clinical terms where a motivator because unplesant/detrimental).... but ultimately you need something to motivate you.

I've seen a lot of claims of PSM being bogus, but never seen any definative research... and I'm not sure I would fully buy it because doctors change their minds about it every year or two.

I'm not sure cultures do hype stress, I think medical statistics evidence it... I'd guess contries where there is still a lot of manual labour and less avaiablity of time saving devices is a bigger contributor, but that's only a hypothesis....