• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] ENTs do you hate being still?

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Do any other ENTs get this? I can't sit still for to long, especially when i'm not doing anything that mentally stimulating. At work I'll take any excuse to walk somewhere or move about. I'm just really restless.
Is this an ENT thing do you think?:huh:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh yes,

not nervouse twitch, just need to rumenate thinking, I am also a noise person.. :D..... That said when I'm not ocused I am quiet and still... it depends on what I am doing and if I am invovled mentally or not.

L

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh yes,

not nervouse twitch, just need to rumenate thinking, I am also a noise person.. :D..... That said when I'm not ocused I am quiet and still... it depends on what I am doing and if I am invovled mentally or not.

L

Yeah i though of this because i just started my first job at a shipyard (making type 45 destroyers for all you war geeks) and i've had loads of meetings where I have no idea wats happening and i keep on falling asleep. So far my manager ain't noticed.
Anyone got tips for staying awake?

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
If it's mentally stimulating? No problem, can do stuff that interests me for hours on end easily.

If it's not? I generally am consistantly fidgeting 100% of the time anyway, tapping feet, humming, playing with pencils, drawing, etc, always have something I'm doing physically at all times. Such is a drawback from having gone through the whole ADHD thing, basically means I need some way to distract myself so I can stay focused... if that makes any sense >.> Basically if I'm not doing at least two things, I can't concentrate on one. Makes no sense, but go figure.

In any case, it means I'm always doing SOMETHING at all times physically. As such, the intense need to 'get up and walk around' isn't nearly as that bad for me as I've since learned to control that over many years of conditioning to cope with a more advanced version of it. Oddly enough, it looks like that's since helped me surpass some of the issues the rest of yeu seem to be facing XD

Funny how things work out that way. I'd say just focus on trying to aim at finding distractions, as it's helped me more than anything else so far.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I take notes - it will help but also give you something to do. I take notes but never read them - spend a fair bit of time doodling - not good in very senior management meetings because then people don't feel heard.

Note taking is useful in a consulting environement as you can type them up and use them to help you manage your client relationships

Mind maps are another way to log information and keep yourself entertained. They are also easier to sight read at a later point in time.

Make some objectives up for yourself before a meeting - identify what you are suppose to get out of the meeting and then focus on those objectives during the meeting.

If you can't stay awake for any of the meetings you may actually be in the wrong job. I've never been quiet so board in a job as this, I need to be quite passionate about what I do.

L

CJ99

MBTI Type
ENTP
If you can't stay awake for any of the meetings you may actually be in the wrong job. I've never been quiet so board in a job as this, I need to be quite passionate about what I do.

Its cause its my first job as a gap year between uni in an engineering company so part of the year it to figure out what job i do want to go into. I'm also still learning the ropes and getting used to full times 8/9 hour days rather than 6/7 hour days.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Glasgow boy working in a ship yeard - thats SO Billy Connolly...

Now he may be an ENTP......

the issue you are haing with being in the meetings is likely to be around you lack of purpose/objective within those meetings. If you need to get something done then they will be more interesting. Right now you are new so you need to learn the language, whats going on etc... it will take some time before you gt fully inolved.

Use your year to get the most expeirience you can...

L

sculpting

I think this is likely Ne doms. We are all twitchy as shit in meetings and roam from door to door chatting or just thinking.

The SPs do it some but not as badly.

I have known two ENTJs. They did not have an issue sitting still. Sitting still and incinerating you with thier eyes.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I've got this problem if I don't get enough exercise. If I do, however, I can sit still, even though not as well as IJ types can.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I can only sit still if I am completely mentally engaged in something. Other than that, I'm like a tazmanian devil.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I can sit still till hell freezes over. I am better at terrorizing people psychologically :D

Vanitas

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always do something, yes. Not necessarily moving, planning and thinking also count.

Kangirl

I'm a star.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I can only sit still if I am completely mentally engaged in something. Other than that, I'm like a tazmanian devil.

Ditto, me too. I do this vibrate-y thing with my leg that drives people nuts, because it makes whatever I'm touching vibrate, too.

You know what tho? People who can't sit still in the larger sense - people who cannot just sit down and engage, people who are always getting up, pacing etc.? That annoys the hell out of me. :)

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I shake my legs, pace, chew my fingernails, doodle badly or do a crossword when forced to sit still and pay attention (meaning complete failure at sitting still and paying attention). I concentrate on things better when doing something else! Any morning meeting longer than about 3 minutes leaves me fidgiting :doh:

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP

Yep.

When I was younger it was just awful, I couldnt sit still in a meeting to save my life. I would either end up outtalking people to get some entertainment, breaking apart styrofoam cups, breaking pencils et.

Or I would go the opposite and start entertaining myself in my head and would lose my sense of surroundings and hear absolutely nothing that went on in a meeting. Which was alright until a coworker told me once after a meeting that I let out a loud burp and I didn't even notice. Guess everyone was staring at me and I was just oblivious lol

So now I strive for balance, just manicure my cuticles or drink a bunch of coffee. It gives me an excuse to get up periodically and get some movement in.