• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs and Psychological Problems

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
I had my first meeting with a psychiatrist last week. My next visit in day after tomorrow. Something is wrong, but the diagnostics are still in process. My doctor said he plans to have me take some "extremely effective and advanced psychological tests you wont find on the internet". I'll keep you posted.

Also, apparently the MBTI is the MBTI. It doesn't take into account psychological disorders.

Possibly Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS) and Cyclothymia.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
But I'm trying to become a neuropharmacologist or pharmacist so maybe I am extremely biased. But I would never take meds unless my life depended on it. A psychiatrist tried to put my brother on a shit ton of anti-depressants, but luckily my uncle threw them out and told him it was best not to take them (uncle is a doctor).

Since you're going into the field, I want you to know that people can also need meds without the pros necessarily accurately understanding why. I'm so hypersensitive that my own adrenaline/cortisol stress reaction is itself a stressor, so that the reaction can blaze up like an out-of-control wildfire, continuing to burn long after the trigger stimulus is gone, only ending after all of my emotional resources are exhausted. (And I have an eidetic imagination, so getting into a heated argument with a character in a mental fantasy conversation is as stressful as the real thing.) However, there's no such thing on the books as a "self-perpetuating stress reaction disorder," so my doctor thinks that he's prescribing me Wellbutrin for anxiety. Whatev, the main thing is that it's an effective emotional fire retardant without noticeable side effects for me, and his understanding of the reason for my need is close enough as makes no practical difference.

I had my first meeting with a psychiatrist last week. My next visit in day after tomorrow. Something is wrong, but the diagnostics are still in process. My doctor said he plans to have me take some "extremely effective and advanced psychological tests you wont find on the internet". I'll keep you posted.

I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed! But not my eyes, I like them the way they are.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
First and foremost, get off of those pills. The majority of the time medication is unnecessary unless you have a severe mental disorder like say, schizophrenia. I have suffered from so called "anxiety" (GAP) because I went through a traumatic event. Do I get stressed out sometimes? Of course I do and so does everyone else. The problem is excusing the anxiety for such and such instead of trying to go to the root of the problem and solving it. Medication is a temporary fix, but with a buttload of unnecessary side effects. I think personally, it's better to get off the medication and try talking to a psychologist and keeping an anxiety log book.

That's the main problem that I have with psychiatrists, they prescribe you medication instead of trying to find an alternative (pay check, it's all about money). I am wary of putting any type of foreign substance in my body, because lets face it, the majority of that shit is not good for you.

The greatest cure to any disease is the human mind. If you believe that you will be OK, then you will. I speak from personal experience. It's called the sugar-pill effect. If you tell someone that this will cure all your problems and they BELIEVE it (they must believe it) then it most likely will (I am speaking of minor things like... depression, etc.). Believing is half the battle.

/hippy rant

Respectfully, hippy rant aside.

One post does not a diagnosis make. Please be careful about making rash statments about drug use in psyciatry. The difference between a live person and a dead on is often MAOI drugs... So really unwise to suggest to a person you don't know, who you've got a tiny bit of information about to come off prescribed medication.

Yes I agree about over prescription to an extent, but that should be re-framed as reviewing your medication not coming off it. Most psyc medicines need to be reduced very gradually and within a plan of action including non medicinal activities...

Sorry non hippy rant over..

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't think I have disorders, although I used to have tons of ticks when I was young. I had some attention defficiencies, although they mostly seem to have been self induced (interest related).

But I'm positive that if I was born in this generation, I would have been diagnosed with and gone to special schooling. These days it doesn't take much to get diagnosed with adhd and the likes.

Personally I don't believe much in medication for psychological problems. I just dealt with my 'defficiences' through logic. I worked out all my ticks when I was 16 consciously through effort and they've since dissappeared. I focus and concentrate on things I deem neccesary instead of just the things I enjoy and dealt with those things as well.

I never been on any form of medication and I feel as strong as ever, mentally. If I feel an emotion I don't like, I deal with it and work it out. I'm not trying to be like other people. But I do make the effort to fit in society, and Ive learned to pick the fruits of it.

Mental disorders are like smoke to me. I don't really feel as if they exist, and if they do, I just can't really see or understand them. People are just unique and different, and they just have to find their way to fit in.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I am a sufferer of Borderline Personality Disorder.

The only known cause of thsi disorder is reading the wikipedia page on it.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
Respectfully, hippy rant aside.

One post does not a diagnosis make. Please be careful about making rash statments about drug use in psyciatry. The difference between a live person and a dead on is often MAOI drugs... So really unwise to suggest to a person you don't know, who you've got a tiny bit of information about to come off prescribed medication.

Yes I agree about over prescription to an extent, but that should be re-framed as reviewing your medication not coming off it. Most psyc medicines need to be reduced very gradually and within a plan of action including non medicinal activities...

Sorry non hippy rant over..

The OP mentioned that she wanted to come off the medication so I was just encouraging her. Of course it is not going to be easy to get off any type of medication, but I think it would be for the better. But this is just my opinion.

Anyway, I have the right to have my opinion, don't I? I don't think she should be on medication at all and I do not care what you or some people think about me voicing an unpopular opinion. I am not here to baby anyone and she asked for our thoughts and so forth on the matter. Nothing you or anyone else say will change my mind, don't like what I have to say, then you are welcome to scroll by :violin:

Speaking of medication, a lot of the time in America psychiatrists prescribed more medication than needed, which is something that she should definitely look at or several opinions from friends or family members in the medical business so she can get an honest and smart opinion minus a money hungry psychiatrist just looking to get paid.

Also, to the OP you can find free clinical studies for anxiety that does not require any type of medication. A lot of these have been proven to be more effective since it shows you how to deal with the disorder versus masking it for short periods of time.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Speaking of medication, a lot of the time in America psychiatrists prescribed more medication than needed, which is something that she should definitely look at or several opinions from friends or family members in the medical business so she can get an honest and smart opinion minus a money hungry psychiatrist just looking to get paid.

Again, I'm just saying this because you're talking about going into the field, but I want to make sure that you know that meds can be both under- and over-prescribed at the same time. That is, there can be demographics or regions that are being over-diagnosed and medicated for a disorder at the same time as others are going under-treated.

The same goes for surgeries -- see a geographic map of full vs. partial hysterectomies, for example -- but you're not talking about being a surgeon, so maybe look into the over/under of childhood AD/HD instead, as it's been highly studied.

Synthetic Darkness

I am the epitome of mental health.

*gigglesnort* You is funny...a mentally healthy ENTJ? That's a first.

As for the OP, when I was younger I was suspected to have ADHD when it was really just boredom and a sugar overdose along with some chemical imbalances and my pediatrician recommended Ritalin which pretty much fucked me over to the point where I almost had to redo the first grade. Not to sound like a broken record but prescription drugs for mental illnesses often make you worse rather than better. So I'd get off Zoloft and maybe go for a more natural approach, herbal remedies and all that jazz along with figuring out the cause to your anxiety I'm sure there is a perfectly logical explanation for it.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Anyway, I have the right to have my opinion, don't I? I don't think she should be on medication at all and I do not care what you or some people think about me voicing an unpopular opinion. I am not here to baby anyone and she asked for our thoughts and so forth on the matter. Nothing you or anyone else say will change my mind, don't like what I have to say, then you are welcome to scroll by :violin:

Sure can voice our opinion, my problem is you're opinion is just irresponcible and not very wise/educated. It's great to suggest potentially harmful things to people without really thinking very much about the consequences.

I can see I've upset you because of your tone here, sorry to offended you - given your defensiveness I beleive I've made my point. Still it doesn't mean your comment safe.

I agree dotors over prescribe, but in mental health quite a lot of those presriptions keep peoples behaviours within normal range and prevent them from doing harm to themselves (either physically or mentally), or others.

Many menthal health pateince do medication then come off it way to soon and fall back worse than previously, end up hospitalised because they have tried too soon without sufficeint preperation.
And I do agree the OP can do lots of research on the subject, but you don't have a full history or enough information to diagnoise where she has been and where she is going too... You've had a bad experience - don't endanger other people because of it.

I appreciate you want to end up in some form of medicine, but until you've got a medical qulification you might want to think of toning it down to the seek a second opinion type options rather than suggesting a complet regime change....least you manage to start you career with a few deaths due to ignorance, or perhaps you could become a faith healler... ;P

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
Without getting too personal, how do other NTs deal with psychological issues such as this? What are you able to tell yourself to let it go, or to help you cope?

I have had trouble with anxiety for pretty much my whole life. First, realize your nervous system sometimes get highly strung and it will make you sensitive to just about everything. Your mind will try to find all kinds of ways to rationalize what you are feeling, and this will feed the anxiety. Soon your mind will learn to associate the fear various things in your life. If it is generalized anxiety, it will be pretty much everything. The trick is to understand it is happening. I picture a point at the base of my neck, where my spin meets my neck, as the source of the tension in my nervous system. It's a completely arbitrary spot. I picked it because a lot of tension seems to accumulate there. When I feel anxious I focus on that spot and remind myself that I probably drank too much coffee and too many diet cokes and that my nervous system is highly strung.

This is you reasonable rational explanation. It works for me, when I remember. The only drug that work for anxiety was clonazepam. Not a good long term solution.

Anyhow, I am diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder.

When I was first diagnosed my doctor told me I would have anxiety my entire life. It was really bad at that point. But I looked at him and thought, "no, you are talking about other people. You don't know me." You could call it arrogance or optimism. Take your pick. Either way, I refuse to make a victim of myself. I am a whole lot better now than I was at that time.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
This is you reasonable rational explanation. It works for me, when I remember. The only drug that work for anxiety was clonazepam. Not a good long term solution.

Hey Lost a couple of thoughts...

I've been looking into this area (not anxiety per sey but in that terratory) and I came across a few thoughts... In physical health the skin acts as a barrier, in mental health the self esteme acts as the equivelent...

Have you done any work on improving your self derived self esteme? It wont do you any harm and may help in a possitive way to lower anxiety...

The other thought was a programme I saw for weight loss (I know it's a P-type jump), where the hypnotist (famous guy can't remember his name... Paul Mkenna) was advocating use of tapping accupressure points - which is a treatment used in post traumatic stress.. typically PTS disorder sufferer from hyper vigilent states... where one is consiously or unconsiously searching for threats all the time. This may be a step further back the chain from anxiety, but the tapping work out looked useful...

Finally in NLP you can use a method to programme altered mental states into your body in order to reduce the negativity of a situation... I managed to wire touching my pinky to a warm fussy feeling... it never lasted for long but it was an interesting experiment....

These are more ideas for consideration not recommending anything

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
I knew you would fine some way to screw with my post. I even know the OP is likely faking. But it if my post helps someone, it's all good.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I knew you would fine some way to screw with my post. .

I've done nothing of the sorts, i thought you gave some excellent council

I even know the OP is likely faking.

Which is harsh on the OP who has expressed something that may be very difficult to own

But it if my post helps someone, it's all good.

I totally agree....

Don't assume because I added some ideas that I thought there was anything wrong with what you wrote...

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
With any mental illness/chemical imbalance you should also be going to therapy (counseling) in addition to taking medication. I cannot stress this enough. I hope that you are...it will help immensely. Also, you are not helpless in this. Take a proactive stance with your disorder. This mindset is extremely helpful in overcoming it/managing it.