User Tag List

View Poll Results: xNTx's views about having children?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Female - Already have children

2 3.85%
  • Female - Definitely want children

5 9.62%
  • Female - Might want children

5 9.62%
  • Female - Not sure

1 1.92%
  • Female - Probably donít want children

8 15.38%
  • Female - Definitely donít want children

4 7.69%
  • Female - Canít have children

0 0%
  • Male - Already have children

2 3.85%
  • Male - Definitely want children

6 11.54%
  • Male - Might want children

8 15.38%
  • Male - Not sure

6 11.54%
  • Male - Probably donít want children

2 3.85%
  • Male - Definitely donít want children

2 3.85%
  • Male - Canít have children

1 1.92%
First 12345 Last

Thread: Reproduction

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    I was only pointing out the common mistake that you made. "Rational" != "Logical".
    However, there are logical reasons, and non logical reasons. Purely emotional reasons doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I'd never act on them, especially when dealing with big decisions like having kids. I think what I mean by rational and logical reasons are reasons outside of ones own emotional needs and wants, like does this actually make sense in a larger scale. Actually, I think that's why I said having kids is selfish, because you're only thinking about what you want and need. And I also think that's why I think adoption makes more sense.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Still not following how being born in the 3rd world country = ecconomic reason...
    More children = more work hands
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTP

Child labour only contitues a tiny % of the global population, hardly a normal reason in non 3rd world.

I'm not nessesarily buying it's ecconomic reasons play out as a huge driver in 3rd world... less contraception, higher propensity for rapes etc (did you see the knickers for Africa campaign), higher childhood mortality etc...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Child labour only contitues a tiny % of the global population, hardly a normal reason in non 3rd world.

I'm not nessesarily buying it's ecconomic reasons play out as a huge driver in 3rd world... less contraception, higher propensity for rapes etc (did you see the knickers for Africa campaign), higher childhood mortality etc...
    Children are a financial asset in many parts of the world. When they become a financial liability, people have fewer of them. See China.
    Basic economics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by bluemonday View Post
    Children are a financial asset in many parts of the world. When they become a financial liability, people have fewer of them. See China.
    Basic economics.
    Children may be an outcome of poor ecconomic climate, but I'm still not buying it as a driver for most of the world.

The UK currently have a baby boom ie recession = staying in for home entertainment, outcome = children... Not because the population want to have a lot of chimney sweeps..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Children may be an outcome of poor ecconomic climate, but I'm still not buying it as a driver for most of the world.

The UK currently have a baby boom ie recession = staying in for home entertainment, outcome = children... Not because the population want to have a lot of chimney sweeps..
    I didn't say it was a "driver for most of the world". But that it drives the birth of the majority of children - who happen to be born in the third world/in poverty.

It's called the demographic-economic paradox. I thought you were a statistics bod.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    ENTP

stats bod - I'm not a statistican but use statistics in research which doesn't equals knows evything about every population.... I'm a customer researcher - looking at behaviours and how to promote the ones we want and attempt to prevent the ones we don't want.

The link doesn't say anything different than I said in my previous post, it's an outcome... not a driver...

In developed countries its likely there is more choice, better contraception availability, better childhood mortality etc...

Hence unlike the reason for having kids as financial... you may have more kids because you don't have alternative entertainment etc...

this is getting pedantic - sorry

PS I do use ecconomics and an information source at times - to justify decision making but not as standard - to be honest I actually don't do much of either because I manage other people to do such now, I just add the additional layer of challenge to the problem

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Hm, does this poll include adoption as a form of "having kids"? I would not personally want to reproduce as the process doesn't appeal to me in the least, nor do children under the age of 3, but I would like to adopt if I was ever in a position to financially.

My only rational reason is that when I'm old and decrepit I want to know there's someone who'll keep an eye out for me. I also see it as a great challenge and learning opportunity, I'd hate to miss out and wonder what all the fuss was over.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

I don't really want children because I think I'm mentally and emotionally unfit to take care of a child.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I'd hate to miss out and wonder what all the fuss was over.
    I love that...

My thoughts in the poll were to have genetic children. I think the reasons to adopt are a bit different.

I'm surprised how many women as saying maybe not or definately not...