• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Reproduction

xNTx's views about having children?

• Female - Already have children

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Female - Definitely want children

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Female - Might want children

Votes: 5 9.8%
  • Female - Not sure

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Female - Probably don’t want children

Votes: 8 15.7%
  • Female - Definitely don’t want children

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • Female - Can’t have children

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Male - Already have children

• Male - Definitely want children

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Male - Might want children

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Male - Not sure

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Male - Probably don’t want children

• Male - Definitely don’t want children

• Male - Can’t have children

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I was only pointing out the common mistake that you made. "Rational" != "Logical".

However, there are logical reasons, and non logical reasons. Purely emotional reasons doesn't make a lot of sense to me and I'd never act on them, especially when dealing with big decisions like having kids. I think what I mean by rational and logical reasons are reasons outside of ones own emotional needs and wants, like does this actually make sense in a larger scale. Actually, I think that's why I said having kids is selfish, because you're only thinking about what you want and need. And I also think that's why I think adoption makes more sense.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Child labour only contitues a tiny % of the global population, hardly a normal reason in non 3rd world.

I'm not nessesarily buying it's ecconomic reasons play out as a huge driver in 3rd world... less contraception, higher propensity for rapes etc (did you see the knickers for Africa campaign), higher childhood mortality etc...

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Child labour only contitues a tiny % of the global population, hardly a normal reason in non 3rd world.

I'm not nessesarily buying it's ecconomic reasons play out as a huge driver in 3rd world... less contraception, higher propensity for rapes etc (did you see the knickers for Africa campaign), higher childhood mortality etc...

Children are a financial asset in many parts of the world. When they become a financial liability, people have fewer of them. See China.
Basic economics.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Children are a financial asset in many parts of the world. When they become a financial liability, people have fewer of them. See China.
Basic economics.

Children may be an outcome of poor ecconomic climate, but I'm still not buying it as a driver for most of the world.

The UK currently have a baby boom ie recession = staying in for home entertainment, outcome = children... Not because the population want to have a lot of chimney sweeps.. :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Children may be an outcome of poor ecconomic climate, but I'm still not buying it as a driver for most of the world.

The UK currently have a baby boom ie recession = staying in for home entertainment, outcome = children... Not because the population want to have a lot of chimney sweeps.. :D

I didn't say it was a "driver for most of the world". But that it drives the birth of the majority of children - who happen to be born in the third world/in poverty.

It's called the demographic-economic paradox. I thought you were a statistics bod.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
stats bod - I'm not a statistican but use statistics in research which doesn't equals knows evything about every population.... I'm a customer researcher - looking at behaviours and how to promote the ones we want and attempt to prevent the ones we don't want.

The link doesn't say anything different than I said in my previous post, it's an outcome... not a driver...

In developed countries its likely there is more choice, better contraception availability, better childhood mortality etc...

Hence unlike the reason for having kids as financial... you may have more kids because you don't have alternative entertainment etc...

this is getting pedantic - sorry :blush:

PS I do use ecconomics and an information source at times - to justify decision making but not as standard - to be honest I actually don't do much of either because I manage other people to do such now, I just add the additional layer of challenge to the problem

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Hm, does this poll include adoption as a form of "having kids"? I would not personally want to reproduce as the process doesn't appeal to me in the least, nor do children under the age of 3, but I would like to adopt if I was ever in a position to financially.

My only rational reason is that when I'm old and decrepit I want to know there's someone who'll keep an eye out for me. I also see it as a great challenge and learning opportunity, I'd hate to miss out and wonder what all the fuss was over.

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I don't really want children because I think I'm mentally and emotionally unfit to take care of a child.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'd hate to miss out and wonder what all the fuss was over.

I love that...

My thoughts in the poll were to have genetic children. I think the reasons to adopt are a bit different.

I'm surprised how many women as saying maybe not or definately not...

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The link doesn't say anything different than I said in my previous post, it's an outcome... not a driver...

In developed countries its likely there is more choice, better contraception availability, better childhood mortality etc...

Hence unlike the reason for having kids as financial... you may have more kids because you don't have alternative entertainment etc...

this is getting pedantic - sorry :blush:
Is it? I hadn't noticed that.
Better childhood mortality? OK....

It's a driver in that it drives the outcome, not the other way around. I.e. people/nations don't get wealthier because they stop having lots of children; they stop having lots children when they get wealthier (along with everything that wealth entails - education, contraception, etc).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Blue -

You really are trying to split hairs....

:D

Your likely to be poor before you have 10 kids - which circles round to keep you poor.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
According to the poll men want kids more than women.

Isnt that like a reverse of what is most often portrayed?

F

FigerPuppet

I want my bloodline to continue, but only if I find a suitable mate (both physically and mentally attractive and an academic) - I chose "Might want children".

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
whether it's rational or whatever, it's certainly instinctive, and I'd say that to try to ignore and go against your evolutionary instincts and still expect to be happy and fulfilled is quite irrational :)

Not really surprising if more men want them than women these days; after all, it's women whose life opportunities are the most affected by having them, in reality.

oh, plus the poll doesn't cover the option of "have kids already but it wasn't planned", i.e. people who have kids but, strictly speaking, at least at the time, didn't want them.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
whether it's rational or whatever, it's certainly instinctive, and I'd say that to try to ignore and go against your evolutionary instincts and still expect to be happy and fulfilled is quite irrational :)

Not really surprising if more men want them than women these days; after all, it's women whose life opportunities are the most affected by having them, in reality.

Well if your a complete asshole who woul just leave like that then yes you are correct but if your going to assume that you could also say that a woman could just get an abortion :D

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What now?

I suppose we'd all be happier living in the trees too, all natural an' shit.

(I know I would)

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think I would like to have at least two, but I like the sounds of four. Now I just need to find a man to stay at home and raise them :D

I think a good question is whether or not hyper-intellectualism (which could be relate to NT) will be selected against biologically. If an individual is highly intelligent I think they are slightly disadvantaged when it comes to reproducing because of many reasons ranging from high selectivity of mates to a lack of social interactions to find someone to reproduce with. This thread is attempting to answer a facet of this question by seeking to know if there is a lack of a desire to reproduce for NTs, but I think the matter could be further investigated by inquiring about the opportunities for NTs to reproduce.

MBTI Type
INxJ
No interest whatsoever. My thoughts on that have remained consistent for 10 years. Actually, I'm probably even more against it now.