User Tag List

123 Last

Default ENXP mask/facet confusion

Sorry couldnt figure out a better name for this thread

Watching our new ENFP VP has awesome. I found someone who "thinks" they way I do. His mannerisms, facial expressions, speech patterns, are all so-normal. I totally get him. I totally get it now when you guys tell each other to "get out of my brain". He says and does exactly what I would do.

So what I have observed-he can surprise people. He goes along in NeFi mode, happy, happy, happy, then instantly starts to think-Te-a facet shift-and becomes authoritarian. This catches people offguard-the inconsistency. I do this as well. It is not a planned thing and is not typically a sign of displeasure or anger-just Te analysis. Folks, especially Fe doms and Auxs or other Fs will think I am angry, controlling, dominating or bitchy when really I am just in a direct Te analytical mode.

So my ENTPs do this some too-at least from what I observe external-cant read their minds of course, so external observations. Nice, nice,nice Fe pleasantries, then Ti abruptness-a mask shift?. Or the reverse. Typically an individual will do one or the other pattern. Here, again, no anger, just a need to "think" or be "socially pleasant" depending upon the circumstances, yet it can really surprise people and make people think they are pissed.

So Qs for ENXPs:

1 do you see these patterns in yourself?

2 do you consciously choose to modify your external behavior recognizing the potential for confusion? ie for me this means act more consistantly Te to prevent people from thinking I "got bitchy" all of the sudden.

3 Are there certain personality types who this is more of an issue with?

4 do you find you get confused by your ENXP counterparts? Ie if an entp, this behavior by and enfp confuses you...

and any other thoughts of course...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't have two masks ... I have numerous masks, each one slightly different depending on who I'm talking to and what's going on. It's not so simple that it can be broken down by Fe / Ti.

And ENFPs don't confuse me. The issues I see people mention about you guys over in the NF section are irrelevant for me. When I have an issue with an ENFP, I always know precisely what caused the problem (though unfortunately, this is nearly always in hindsight).

ENTP's are psychos. We have a thousand faces to deal with different kinds of people.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ArchitectofFate View Post
    ENTP's are psychos.
    this

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    this
    that
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    that
    cool

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    that
    Paddly-wack
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't see this as a being a mask. Normally I'm easy going and hard to offend but sometimes people will mistake this for me being a doormat and will cross a line they shouldn't. When that happens I put a little bass in my voice (as one of my guy friends calls it) and they get the point that they've crossed a line and that was Warning #1. I'm usually not pissed, I just recognize a pattern and want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

And I suppose it's confused people before, but that's their fault if they don't realize that human beings are complex.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I think everyone beat me to it looks like >.>;;

In any case, let's see here.

1 do you see these patterns in yourself?
    Yep.

2 do you consciously choose to modify your external behavior recognizing the potential for confusion? ie for me this means act more consistantly Te to prevent people from thinking I "got bitchy" all of the sudden.

Not really, it's often instinctual to the point of not realizing it occured. As many people have stated, there's often a multitude of 'masks' of a sort to be better able to fit in. Most are fairly straight forwards, but there's alot of variations. They are all extensions of the self though, from 'thoughtful' to 'aggressively debating' and so on. They each have their purpose though, and tend to surface as needed without notification. Blindside me with a question that gets me thinking, and yeu can see the whole mood change entirely to match it immediately.

3 Are there certain personality types who this is more of an issue with?
    I wouldn't know myself, but after reading almost all the ENTP's stating similar situations to my own, I can imagine it being a plausible scenario.

4 do you find you get confused by your ENXP counterparts? Ie if an entp, this behavior by and enfp confuses you...

I haven't really been able to identify people as ENFP regularly yet, but in general, I rarely fully get confused by anyone's actions, as I'm usually able to grasp leaps of logic by several steps as easily as they are capable of skipping them themselves. In general, this usually means I won't be confused, though I do get dumbfounded by people who insist on believing something with no proof, yet expect everyone else to believe they're right, also without proof. Yeu're free to believe whotever yeu want, I just don't see how yeu can assume that anyone else would think yeu're right if yeu can't even make a solid argument for such. That DOES confuse me, but is unrelated to ENFP's.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Someone has to make life interesting - it might as well be the ENXP.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.