• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Imagined Conversations

Novascientia

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
How many of you have ever had a full conversation (in your head or outloud) between yourself and either someone else you know, or a historical or fictional character.

I know I have.

I've conversed with:

Imaginary Marie Curie
Imaginary Thomas Jefferson
Imaginary James Madison
Imaginary Captain Picard (he's my conscious, you know)

I really don't know. It's sort of weird.

A second question: if so, has anyone accidently done this in front of other people?

I did. I was reading my book of the letters between Jefferson and Madision, and I said, "you're both wrong! Honestly, Jefferson, like anyone really thinks that!", said it when I was right next to my teacher and a person from my school.

If you do this...does it help you think?

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I once wrote diary entries in the form of letters to FDR. Didn't stick with it long, diaries have never been my thing.

Also I've been known to imagine conversations between me and people I know, as a way of working through my thoughts/feelings.

Novascientia

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
Poppy: Letters to FDR sounds fun, even if a diary doesn't. If it was a diary, did you tell him about your life, or just random stuff about how the world was then, or how it is now, etc. ?

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do it all the time. ALL OF THE TIME. Some people would call it being crazy. I like to call it "being a writer."

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Poppy: Letters to FDR sounds fun, even if a diary doesn't. If it was a diary, did you tell him about your life, or just random stuff about how the world was then, or how it is now, etc. ?

It was primarily personal things if I remember right. I did reference some things from his day (as well as letters that people had written him during his presidency, which were what inspired me to do it in the first place).

My ENFJ friend loved the idea, I think she might have written him some letters too :D

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I have heated arguments with imagined others all the time, I normally carry both sides of the conversation though. This often gets rather bizzare fairly quickly.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
I imagine conversations and situations with people i know all the time. Never done that out loud tho, and i only do this when im alone. Yea it helps me think how other people would react on these situations i imagine, because i keep it as realistic(not the situations itself, but how others would react on them) as possible.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
More often than I should... ^^;;

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Is this an NT thing then .. I do it all the time, both quiet and out loud.

OK, where is my NT badge? :newwink:
Or have i just lost it as i used a smilie

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
How many of you have ever had a full conversation (in your head or outloud) between yourself and either someone else you know, or a historical or fictional character.
Normally. The imaginary person I'm speaking to embodies one (current or future) aspect of myself at its ripened stage. I use them as a means of emulating their strengths to improve on my weaknesses.

Or the person could be a real-life individual whom I'm trying to study and reference to refine/create a strategy and tactic.

A second question: if so, has anyone accidently done this in front of other people?
Ni. Someone has to 'convince' the ideas out of me. ;) I keep any outlandishness to myself.

200px-delirium_sandman.jpg

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I always have imaginary conversations, in my head and out loud. I will randomly talk in school or in a store. Also, when I write in my diary/journal/record of events, it is like I am talking to someone.

I have talked to some classical composers, Roger Waters I do believe, any number of Red Sox players, etc

It keeps me company. I do get weird looks.

Particle

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I habitually have imaginary conversations in my head, but only do that kind of thing out loud when I'm alone. It helps me to sort things out.

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think its possible i did it when i was a kid but i don't remember i don't have conversations in my head.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
All the time. I have a really expressive face, so when I'm in public I have to be careful where I'm looking and maybe imagine something else for awhile if the conversation in my head starts to get too heated, or people might think that I'm mad at them or whatever. I also get funny looks from people if one of the characters in my head says or does something funny enough to make me laugh IRL.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I have imaginary conversations with several people.

Its kind of a thought-aid for when I dont have anyone to talk about things with and I desperatly need to figure somthing out/come up with an Idea.

G

garbage

Most of the imagined conversations I've had take place with people I know, and many of them are pretty angry, sad, or at least leading to something bad. I think it's me preparing for some worst-case scenario involving that person, or trying to root out contradictions and sort out my ways of thinking :shock:

Captain Picard as the voice of your conscience would be absolutely awesome.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Errm the real challenge I find is to try to remember if the conversation you remember having was in your head or with the intended subject. The number of times I've thought through an entire conversation and then not had that conversation as I no longer needed to is embarrassing. Especially when I was supposed to be telling them something important and so thought it through and then failed to actually HAVE the conversation!

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I can't believe other people do this too. Hilarious. :D

jellyfish

MBTI Type
INTP
God, I do this way too much.
I used to do this with fictional characters, when I was about 5, and then mostly moved on to people I know, online or in real life.

Sometimes someone will be talking (I know lots of people who talk and talk and talk) and I think I replied to them but I didn't, so in reality these people know nothing about me.
It's pretty strange, when I think about it.

Xander, I make the same mistake. It's horrible...