User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Intentions can get you pretty far.. but the problem is, relying on intentions and people understanding your intentions means people have to assume for you. People generally never assume what you want them to. It leaves for a lot of flaws.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Intentions can get you pretty far.. but the problem is, relying on intentions and people understanding your intentions means people have to assume for you. People generally never assume what you want them to. It leaves for a lot of flaws.
    Right. That's one of the reasons I try to rely on image instead. But it does mean I can't be as honest with people as I'd like.

I guess that means there's three ways people typically go through life... clumsy and honest, pissing people off by being yourself; polite and well-liked, wearing a mask and never letting anyone see the real you; or trying to balance the two in various ways, never getting the full benefits or disadvantages of either one.

I tried the first up until age 12, didn't get me far. I've used the second ever since, and it's gotten me this far. Now I'm contemplating whether to stick with it, or move on to the third.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Last time someone defined me as a Lock I put a DoT on him

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Right. That's one of the reasons I try to rely on image instead. But it does mean I can't be as honest with people as I'd like.

I guess that means there's three ways people typically go through life... clumsy and honest, pissing people off by being yourself; polite and well-liked, wearing a mask and never letting anyone see the real you; or trying to balance the two in various ways, never getting the full benefits or disadvantages of either one.

I tried the first up until age 12, didn't get me far. I've used the second ever since, and it's gotten me this far. Now I'm contemplating whether to stick with it, or move on to the third.
    I suppose it's all situational. I guess in the end find one that benefits you the most and stick to it.

In conclusion to the OP: If you're not wrong, you're still not right.

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Last time someone defined me as a Lock I put a DoT on him

[IMG]
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by therationaledge View Post
    I once told my girlfriend that I saw getting the truth or information out of people like opening a lock

Kind the right key, and apply the right amount of pressure, and whula!

She kinda got insulted, saying I shouldn't view people as locks to open.

Is what I did actually offensive? (I have my own opnion but am interested in what you all think)
    Try explaining to your friend what a metaphor is, she does not seem to know.

MBTI
    entp

lol...you sounded manipulative. id bet 50 bucks that your gf does it too...you just generalized it

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Try explaining to your friend what a metaphor is, she does not seem to know.
    To an more sensitive romantic type that sounds cold and manipualtive "I say just the right things, mae them feel comfortable, then once I know what I want Im through with them."

Now imagine hannibal lecter saying that. Now you get why she was offended.
    It was really just poor wording on his part.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I once told my girlfriend that I saw getting the truth or information out of people like opening a lock

Is what I did actually offensive? (I have my own opnion but am interested in what you all think)
    I think one the problem is that metaphors can be interpreted a variety of ways. So what you meant may not be the same as what she interpreted. For example if you meant:

"Trying to understand people involves knowing the right questions to ask. Once I find the right question I find the information opens up just like a key opens a lock."

I don't think anyone would be offended by such a thing. On the other hand if you meant:

"People are just small obstacles to me getting whatever I want. All I need is to manipulate and pressure them and I get what I want just as easily as a key applying pressure to a lock."

I think a lot of people would find you to be a jerk in this instance. So if your girlfriend is offended by what you said, it might be best to clarify what you really meant, so that you can both laugh it off as a misunderstanding. On the other hand if you really are a jerk it might be best just to keep things to yourself. In the words of Jack Handy, "Cindy was offended when I said the word 'puke', but that is what I thought her dinner tasted like."
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Lol.

Thanks guys. She was offended at the time but has pretty much gotten over it, dunno if she even remembers cause it was months before the thread started.

I guess what I mean is it is like picking a lock because its part gentle and part forceful, depending on whom it is, what situation.

Basically what I do is find the way to make someone tell the truth, ussually it is to make them comfertable or make them think its thier idea, stuff like that, though on occasion I have...erm...pickaxed a mine for gold as opposed to pick a lock.

But thats ussually in a situation where I have no sympathy for someone, because they dont deserve it. But this is a rarety.

I would say it is because she thought i was objectifying people, which I was I suppose.

"Putting together a puzzle" sounds less intimidating, but also seems like lying because thats more like figuring something out on your own, with clues, which I do too.

BAsically it came down to me being honest, too honest apparentyl (though it was without thinking and will probably happen again) because thats how i view getting the truth out of someone. They are resistant, the lock. The information is past the door, and I must find a way into the door.

The thing is though that I don't acctually have to do that too often at all, I can ussually put it together liek a puzzle...

Maybe i should call it "befriending the mutant sea bass with lasers fixed to thier heads to get crackers on the other side of the pool"

I think it sounds catchy lol
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Besides being taken in a completely different manner, I do not view this as offensive at all. I tend to have problems with my wording and the like, and my friends tend to get offended.

I, however, see it as perfectly normal.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex