User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Do any of you like slower, more mellow music, like downtempo or ambient? According to the factor five model, introverts generally prefer slower more relaxed music compared to extroverts.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Robopop View Post
    Do any of you like slower, more mellow music, like downtempo or ambient? According to the factor five model, introverts generally prefer slower more relaxed music compared to extroverts.
    I like music across the entire spectrum. I actually got my start with metal music. The first genre of music I really got in to was Thrash Metal, when I was introduced to Megadeth. But I also love mellow stuff at times. What I listen to is mostly determined by my mood, as is seemingly the norm for INTPs. Ambient passages in songs usually do become my favorite part, mostly because brilliantly written soundscapes like that can really put you at peace and capture a mood perfectly.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I listen to a lot of slower classical music and sometimes jazz/blues. When I'm feeling a bit down, I usually turn on some Leonard Cohen and just relax.

But really, it's all actually predetermined by my mood, as Stevo said already. I find that I generally prefer slower, relaxing music when at home or working and energetic things when on the go. Though that's surely the same for everyone, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    The first genre of music I really got in to was Thrash Metal, when I was introduced to Megadeth.
    Mine was hard rock. Influenced by my mother's preferred choice of music, I guess.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

What I listen to is mostly determined by my mood, as is seemingly the norm for INTPs. Ambient passages in songs usually do become my favorite part, mostly because brilliantly written soundscapes like that can really put you at peace and capture a mood perfectly.
    This applies to me too, I usually like music that has a certain mood that matches my mood. But most of the time, I am very languid and relaxed so I like to listen to smooth sounding music.

If you like ambient techno you should try listening to Boards of Canada, their music has very rustic and pastoral feel.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My taste in music varies wildly. Classical to classic rock to blues to jazz to hip-hop. I do tend to select my music based on my moods.

Listening to Inner City's "Good Life".

YouTube - Inner City - Good Life (Magic Juan Mix)

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I want to be as close to the musicians as possible when I go to concerts. For me, concerts with bands I love are not about analysis, because I've already listened to and analyzed the hell out of their music on my own time, but they are more about seeing the musicians and really just experiencing their music. I do tend to analyze the music of bands I'm not familiar with though.
    I think that is the Se in me too - I am happy to pay a bit more to see iconic performers if I can get a good seat. I had great seats a couple of years ago to see Eric Clapton and his show was amazing - but I was considerably poorer in the pocket because of the experience!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I like music across the entire spectrum. I actually got my start with metal music. The first genre of music I really got in to was Thrash Metal, when I was introduced to Megadeth. But I also love mellow stuff at times. What I listen to is mostly determined by my mood, as is seemingly the norm for INTPs. Ambient passages in songs usually do become my favorite part, mostly because brilliantly written soundscapes like that can really put you at peace and capture a mood perfectly.
    I am the same - I have a wide gamut of music likes and only a few dislikes. I am afraid that the only genre I have a dislike for at the moment is Death Metal - only because I have not yet heard anything I like that doesn't sound like the singer needs surgery for throat cancer or is going to throw up. I am sure that there exists an exception there somewhere tho.

My music is quite eclectic and varies through folk, blues, heavy metal, classic rock, classical, jazz, some opera, torch music, world music, experimental etc. Some pop included but I am not into very commercial pop unless t has an unforgettable and exceptional beat.

Heck - my friends are embarrassed I like the Proclaimers!!

I love a good guitarist, rock and ethnic percussion beats - love Ray Cooper and his obvious joy when performing! Also love meaningful, deep lyrics - the music I listen to indulges my Fi Ti and Se.

I am still waiting for David Gilmour to come back here and Jimmy Page & Robert Plant to do a world tour. There is generally plenty of time to see the younger musos but the veterans won't be around for much longer.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I am afraid that the only genre I have a dislike for at the moment is Death Metal - only because I have not yet heard anything I like that doesn't sound like the singer needs surgery for throat cancer or is going to throw up. I am sure that there exists an exception there somewhere tho.
    I used to be the same---until I was introduced to Opeth. Their singer, Mikael Akerfedt, is quite possibly the finest death metal vocalist I have ever heard. Of course, when I first heard the band, I despised his singing. But for some reason, I gave them a second chance. And, wouldn't you know it, I found that his singing was a little less unbearable, and everything else about their music was absolutely amazing. They have great melodic compositions that scale the range from brutal heaviness to atmospheric and bleak acoustic passages. And once you start to be able to understand the lyrics, they are full of depth and meaning. Akerfeldt is also a great singer---when he's not growling, his singing voice is amazing! A good album to get introduced to their sound with is Damnation, quite possibly my favorite of their albums, which, as a plus, doesn't have a line of growled vocals in it! But if you feel ready to venture into their truly metal stuff, go with Blackwater Park.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I used to be the same---until I was introduced to Opeth. Their singer, Mikael Akerfedt, is quite possibly the finest death metal vocalist I have ever heard. Of course, when I first heard the band, I despised his singing. But for some reason, I gave them a second chance. And, wouldn't you know it, I found that his singing was a little less unbearable, and everything else about their music was absolutely amazing. They have great melodic compositions that scale the range from brutal heaviness to atmospheric and bleak acoustic passages. And once you start to be able to understand the lyrics, they are full of depth and meaning. Akerfeldt is also a great singer---when he's not growling, his singing voice is amazing! A good album to get introduced to their sound with is Damnation, quite possibly my favorite of their albums, which, as a plus, doesn't have a line of growled vocals in it! But if you feel ready to venture into their truly metal stuff, go with Blackwater Park.
    Thanks for this - I am always open to new music experiences - I have some to explore this weekend that another member has referred as well.

I will tell you later whether I laughed or not. Funny - I saw Metallica live a few years ago and had the reverse problem - their live version of their semi ballad "Nothing Else Matters" was dreadful!!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yeah, just don't dismiss them if you don't like them at first listen. It took me a little while, but I went from complete disdain--I did laugh at the vocals at first, as well--to loving the band.