User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

i find myself drawn to artists with simple acoustic guitar and deep lyrics ala Bob Dylan or wild and spontaneous musical arrangements either electric guitar like jimi hendrix or certain classical pieces. Overall though i agree that my mood tends to dictate the type of music i listen to.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/so
    Socionics
    INTj

I love classical music!

Hmm... Probably has to do with the fact that I play the violin.
    Enneagram: 5w4 5-9-2 (5w4 9w1 2w1) sp/so

"Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Greg King
    The worst mistake people make in political arguments is assuming that the other side is not trying to do the right thing. This simple oversight makes productive conversation nearly impossible.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I like a wide variety of rock music, although my favorite genre is progressive rock and metal. My favorite bands include Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Slip, Alice In Chains, Riverside, and Yes.

I usually look for lyrical and structural depth and complexity from my music. I love music that I can discover little things about each time I listen to and, of course, music that affords intense analysis to truly understand, such as albums with a unified concept that usually takes a close listening with a lyric sheet to begin to understand. Or maybe three. I prefer songs that actually make statements about subjects that really matter, such as exploring the psychological motivations behind the actions of serial killers (Porcupine Tree's In Absentia) or the horrors and ramifications of parental child abuse (One of the many themes in Pain of Salvation's The Perfect Element) I also, of course, look for music that exhibits emotional passion and I must admit that a good solid heavy beat will go far in making me like what I'm listening to.

Which may be why I consider Trance one of my guilty pleasures, so to speak.

As it is probably apparent, I think a lot about music. But why wouldn't I? Don't we INTPs think a lot about everything?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I like a wide variety of rock music, although my favorite genre is progressive rock and metal. My favorite bands include Porcupine Tree, Pain of Salvation, King Crimson, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Opeth, Strapping Young Lad, The Doors, Pink Floyd, The Slip, Alice In Chains, Riverside, and Yes.

-snip snippety snip-

As it is probably apparent, I think a lot about music. But why wouldn't I? Don't we INTPs think a lot about everything?
    There we are, you just named every single one of the bands I listen to on an almost daily basis.

On a side note, my friends hate going to concerts with me. I'm always in the back, quietly analyzing chords and harmonies and lyrics.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
    On a side note, my friends hate going to concerts with me. I'm always in the back, quietly analyzing chords and harmonies and lyrics.
    I want to be as close to the musicians as possible when I go to concerts. For me, concerts with bands I love are not about analysis, because I've already listened to and analyzed the hell out of their music on my own time, but they are more about seeing the musicians and really just experiencing their music. I do tend to analyze the music of bands I'm not familiar with though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

I want to experience the music, really, but all I seem to be able to think (and that's just the problem, isn't it?) about is how it measures up to the studio versions - do they play a song differently? What about the rhythm?
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Now that I think about it, I do that too. I guess I just can't escape from analysis no matter what I do. I guess the only real major difference between you and me is I need to be as close to the stage as possible.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Now that I think about it, I do that too. I guess I just can't escape from analysis no matter what I do. I guess the only real major difference between you and me is I need to be as close to the stage as possible.
    Too much people near the stage. And they're all bumping into you and shouting and generally being idiots. How can you stand it?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

At most progressive shows, at least the ones I go to, people mind their own business. Everyone's there to appreciate the music, not throw each other around and be noisy. Sure, sometimes you get squished a little or sandwiched between two fat sweaty smelly guys, but I've never been moshed at or otherwise assaulted. The most I usually have to worry about at the shows I go to are crowd surfers, who do have a propensity for falling on my head.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

You're lucky. My experience with concert crowds generally has been negative.

I ended up with a broken leg when I dared foray into the front rows.