123 Last

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

Default Can any NT males think of nothing

I have heard this interesting theory that men, all men, are capable of thinking of nothing. My father describes it as something like a giant black space in which a ping pong ball slowly bounces back and forth for a time.

This is difficult for me to comprehend as I'm always thinking about something. Always. Even when, and often more so when I'm asleep. It helps that I usually remember what I was thinking while I was asleep. lol, some have called me a freak of nature.

Anyway, in all my thinking it occurred to me, 'hey, NTs seem to think an awful lot, I wonder if NT guys can do this "not thinking" thing that they claim all men can do.'

So, can you?
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    I have heard this interesting theory that men, all men, are capable of thinking of nothing. My father describes it as something like a giant black space in which a ping pong ball slowly bounces back and forth for a time.

This is difficult for me to comprehend as I'm always thinking about something. Always. Even when, and often more so when I'm asleep. It helps that I usually remember what I was thinking while I was asleep. lol, some have called me a freak of nature.

Anyway, in all my thinking it occurred to me, 'hey, NTs seem to think an awful lot, I wonder if NT guys can do this "not thinking" thing that they claim all men can do.'

So, can you?
    Only when i think about death. But sure. A vast black void, but not black of color, black as absence of everything. With no thoughts or life.

Its a great vacation spot lol jk
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

This is the void. It is death. Slow down all of your bodily processes and you'll find yourself in between cycles and rhythms where time expands infinitely. Or something.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTP

Well, if you try to not think, be sure not to experiment on the can, as that is the place where men make the most important decisions in their lives, and contemplate the deepest thoughts. It's nature, do not desecrate the throne.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

I certainly can but I don't think it has to do with being an NT male. It has to do with mastering the self, meditation, and practicing the art of staying still, staying completely still is very hard to do and if you can do it, it brings you one step closer to blanking out the mind.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Why would you even want to?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Well I know *I* can't, but then again, I'm not an NT male either. I suppose it would make sense as to why all the monks are always guys though. Them and their silly meditation... I'm too busy having a party in my head. With sock puppet golems. YEU HEARD ME.

MBTI
    eNFP
    Enneagram
    ;) sx
    Socionics
    ENFp

I don't know why someone would want to, but it's the ever mysterious answer to the Woman's question "what'cha thinking?"
    The Man's answer being "nothing."
    Which leads one to wonder, 'really?!'
    -Brio

"I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life; I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well."
    -Teddy Roosevelt

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Yes, it's not that hard. When I'm relaxed on the beach I often think of nothing. However, I don't usually think of nothing, and I wouldn't describe the sensation similarly to your dad: when I'm not thinking I just feel completely connected to my body and "listening" to its sensations, that seems to take my full processing power.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

This is why I fail at meditation.