• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Can any NT males think of nothing

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So what does this prove? That NT men are actually women?

Afkan

What abt this tho- after thinking about things from every angle possible, do NTs ever get an uncomfortable feeling that they are thinking nothing? Like thinking everything, but when thinking abt everything there are so many redundancies what's the use?

Do NTs ever wish, even only briefly, they could think of nothing?

Surely its possible, with meditation =pure focus on thinking nothing (yes, i know meditation has been mentioned already in this thread)

Meditation is thought to be nirvana and such a higher form of existence.

Who would have thought of meditation in the first place other than an NT?

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
Only when i think about death. But sure. A vast black void, but not black of color, black as absence of everything. With no thoughts or life.

Its a great vacation spot lol jk

how can you think about death when you've never experienced it? how can you think about an idea/perception and think of nothing at the same time?

you're not thinking of nothing you're thinking of voids and nothingness.
... does that count? :huh:

op, i dont know wtf your dad is talking about. it doens't sound very scientific. perhaps you should post some credible references.

does he just mean focusing on a singular global thought?
it might be all up to thought processes. not everyone is the same. some people think 10000 words a mintue others dont think in words at all. perhaps all he's doing is slowing down his brainwaves.
actuallly, if he were to know he can "think of nothing" he must've been aware of it while it was happening meaning he was thinking something. "look at me im thinking nothing... oh wait, damnit."
tell him becoming unconscious doesn't count.

i dunno

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I think when your father said 'nothing,' he meant it in the Shakespearean sense.

Invisiblemonkey

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a guy, and yet for some weird reason, my thoughts can be autonomous, even when I want them to SHUT UP! I'm not schizophrenic, I simply have random, albeit low-key thoughts that go through my head completely and utterly regardless of my own will. Honestly, they simply appear because I have the capacity to have them... And potentially lack of sleep, coffee, or some combination of the two.

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp
sometimes i'll be riding a level of consciousness that im only partially aware of. if asked what i was thinking during one of these rides, id say 'i dont know' which is completely true cuz the thoughts were so far off my realm of active awareness that i had no in-linking to what they were. i knew they existed cuz id get somewhat tired after there thinking-but-not-really sessions and would want to go for a walk or something

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have heard this interesting theory that men, all men, are capable of thinking of nothing. My father describes it as something like a giant black space in which a ping pong ball slowly bounces back and forth for a time.

This is difficult for me to comprehend as I'm always thinking about something. Always. Even when, and often more so when I'm asleep. It helps that I usually remember what I was thinking while I was asleep. lol, some have called me a freak of nature.

Anyway, in all my thinking it occurred to me, 'hey, NTs seem to think an awful lot, I wonder if NT guys can do this "not thinking" thing that they claim all men can do.'

So, can you?
Absolutely not. I don't remember my mind ever being blank.

Owl

desert pelican
MBTI Type
INTP
I was reading Nothing: a Very Short Introduction by... some particle physicist at Oxford, and there he wrote something along these lines: "Thinking of the void is hard."

You ask: can we think of nothing? I ask: what is nothing?

Tecla

MBTI Type
INTP
I had it happen once recently. I just got done smoking a cigarette, laid down, and was actually taken by surprise when I had absolutely no thoughts going on. But then again, my thoughts were of how blank my mind was, so I guess that was still a thought.

Tamske

Writing...
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm really surprised by this thread. I mean, I didn't realise anybody could think... nothing at all?! I know some people are capable of thinking only one thing at a time(*), but none?

(*) Right now, I'm thinking about this post, about my story, about the lesson I'm going to give, the test I've got to put in my briefcase before going to the school, and there is some self-check process going on about what I'm thinking.

wildcat

MBTI Type
INTP
I have heard this interesting theory that men, all men, are capable of thinking of nothing. My father describes it as something like a giant black space in which a ping pong ball slowly bounces back and forth for a time.

This is difficult for me to comprehend as I'm always thinking about something. Always. Even when, and often more so when I'm asleep. It helps that I usually remember what I was thinking while I was asleep. lol, some have called me a freak of nature.

Anyway, in all my thinking it occurred to me, 'hey, NTs seem to think an awful lot, I wonder if NT guys can do this "not thinking" thing that they claim all men can do.'

So, can you?
The paradox in the thinking process.
Thought is communication.

Communication is biology.
Bacteria communicates. Apropos it thinks.
Dogs and cats communicate. So do human beings. And other apes.
In a more advanced level than bacteria?
There is no difference. Evolution is about survival only.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That's kind of an intrusive question to ask, isn't it?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I can think of nothing at a moments notice. I do have to willingly do so. I find meditation easy and relaxing. I just don't do it enough. I think my mind is just fuzzy enough to cancel itself out. I find it hard to focus my thoughts most of the time, it's easier for me to stop thinking than it is to work out 21.5 + 23, and that becomes problematic. Particularly when trying to do simple mathematics :laugh:

milkyway2

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
?
try yelling STOP out loud at your brain and see it stop for a few seconds

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
closest i can get of thinking nothing is saying im not thinking nothing inside my head. i can do that for about 5-20 seconds then i notice that my mind started wandering to something else or to something thats about thinking nothing..

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
how do you fall asleep to begin with if you're always thinking so hard?

Oeufa

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm a girl and I sometimes find myself just completely blank, not thinking about anything :tongue:. It's like my brain has overheated and now it's just giving itself a short break before my thoughts come crashing back!

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
Not an NT but experienced enought to figure out that's your dad's cop out of sharing his thoughts.

Girls ask that all the time- 'what are you thinking?' Nothing rarely means zero thoughts- it usually means something truly insignificant, or something you can't or don't want to explain for whatever reason.

BUT......Sometimes driving, I don't remember the thoughts I had seconds ago. I'm so focused on whatever it was it's like I don't recall anything in those seconds. Not that I wasn't aware of the goings on of the road, but I didn't have a thought.