User Tag List

First 1234 Last

When i push away my mind i usually go like. Wow, trees and the sky.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

This seems to be a sensory thing, IMO, especially those with Se. I've heard some sensors say that they can get so focused on something physical they are doing that their mind basically blanks out. They are just completely in the moment, doing, and not thinking. I find that a mostly foreign concept myself.

The closest I've ever gotten to this are brief moments in pilates and yoga where I am concentrating very hard to hold a position. You have to focus your mind on it or you topple . It is relaxing, because all worry is obliterated for those few seconds.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Black is a color, and space is the objectification of the distance between things. To think of a black space is to think of something, not nothing. The closest thing to thinking of nothing is for consciousness to cease, like when you go to sleep. But that cessation of consciousness is only recognized once you wake up and realize that time has passed since you fell asleep. It's light now, whereas it was dark when you went to bed, and since your experience tells you that night and day are separated by hours, you automatically fill in the blanks with those same hours in order to establish a sense of continuity. There is a contrast here between your actual experience, in which those hours did not exist, and an external, objective understanding that you constructed by watching and memorizing how the world functions. When you look at your experience from the vantage point of this second perspective, a perspective that requires those hours to exist, you recognize an incongruity, and this is what you call nothingness.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INTP

It's pretty difficult for me to just stop thinking. I'm thinking from the moment I wake up until the moment it puts me top sleep. I've tried meditating a few times, but I could never get my mind to reach the state of nothingness.

MBTI
    xxxx

The problem is that I try to conceptualize nothing. Is nothing void of nothingness? And then there's the really bad puns that naturally come to mind...

-insert statement about being too paranoid to let my guard down and accept a realm of no protective thoughts here-
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I can think of nothing worse than not being allowed to think anything.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Is this thread implying something about NT females ?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

I'm not a man but gender has never stopped me from opening my big mouth. I don't understand the ability to think of nothing and I spent a long time arguing with my ex about this. He, apparently, has this ability. When I'm not thinking in tangible terms I'm feeling and when I'm not feeling I'm numbing which takes thought to do (at least on some level). I never stop thinking and I often wish that I could.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by briochick View Post
    I don't know why someone would want to, but it's the ever mysterious answer to the Woman's question "what'cha thinking?"
    The Man's answer being "nothing."
    Which leads one to wonder, 'really?!'
    We're lying. Big surprise, huh?

In that case, we're either;
    1.) Thinking about something stupid, and don't want you to know
    2.) Thinking about something objectionable, and don't want you to know.
    3.) Thinking about something that wouldn't easily translate into words
    4.) Thinking about something we don't want to think about, and therefore don't want to talk about.
    5.) Thinking about something that simply wouldn't be interesting to talk about, like some basic physical, visual, or auditory sensation.

If I left anything out, feel free to add something guys.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Black is a color, and space is the objectification of the distance between things. To think of a black space is to think of something, not nothing. The closest thing to thinking of nothing is for consciousness to cease, like when you go to sleep. But that cessation of consciousness is only recognized once you wake up and realize that time has passed since you fell asleep. It's light now, whereas it was dark when you went to bed, and since your experience tells you that night and day are separated by hours, you automatically fill in the blanks with those same hours in order to establish a sense of continuity. There is a contrast here between your actual experience, in which those hours did not exist, and an external, objective understanding that you constructed by watching and memorizing how the world functions. When you look at your experience from the vantage point of this second perspective, a perspective that requires those hours to exist, you recognize an incongruity, and this is what you call nothingness.
    Very well put.

One can draw parallels to the idea of "I think, therefore I am." Whether you are thinking of nothing or thinking of something is irrelevant. You are still thinking.

Even meditation's purpose is not to stop the mind entirely, but rather to calm it and focus it.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se