• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] What might a depressed ENT look like?

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
*presently reading the ennui thread*
So...
A depressed ENT would not resort to punching things or bouts of hysteria or threatening to kill family members or self?

Depressed? I wouldn't think so.

I've got two rather surprisingly large holes in my wall right next to me that confirms that punching things may however occur if ANGRY though (while being exceptionally stressed out at the time... I rarely ever get stressed, the few times it does occur, I don't handle it well due to lack of experience coping with such), but I've since learned to control that, as I'm terrified of breaking something I can't replace. I'm not sure if that's related to personality though since it was an instinctual reaction which occured before the brain even got a chance to think about the matter.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
When I'm depressed I usually just try and hide it, because I don't want people noticing and making a deal about it or changing how they act towards me. I might be a little more relaxed/monotone and less goofy and fun, and stay in my room with the door closed a bit more. Most of it just goes on in my head.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Agreed with just about everything here. The only strange thing I've noticed is that one time I tried to fight the depression, I researched the hell out of brain chemicals and talked to my closest friend on internet chat for a while. I couldn't stop it. Another time, I just couldn't say anything, and when I could, I tried to be lighthearted and made jokes, but on the inside, I was quite much dead and just wanted to hide.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Look, I found a depressed ent, drunk at 3 am with 100 degrees fahrenheit -.-

*sad world :(*

bild008jzn.jpg

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Look, I found a depressed ent, drunk at 3 am with 100 degrees fahrenheit -.-

*sad world :(*

bild008jzn.jpg

isn't that you, entropie? why so depressed? does it have something to do with your infp gf? are you web-camming in that pic?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
isn't that you, entropie? why so depressed? does it have something to do with your infp gf? are you web-camming in that pic?

This was when my favourite soccer team lost 6:1 and I send them an application form as a new coach :D

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Acceptance of cynical pessimism was the lowlight for me. Restlessness, a hyperextended verson of the "grass is greener" principle, a tendency toward risk-aversion and introverted interpersonal behavior, not to mention constantly wondering why things came so easily to others and yet cause me struggles. There was a physical lack of energy, too - everyone constantly asked me why I looked tired all the time.

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
I'm afraid a truly depressed ENTP might not even seem depressed at all on the outside, because they'd be doing their best to avoid having people fussing over them and offering help that they then feel guilt tripped into accepting, but which they know is useless.

I cant stand to tell people about my problems because I know there just going to try and make me fell better(not even because they care 90% of the time its just because its the socialy correct thing to do)

One thing is, I basicly pride myself on being "smart" and have sense I was a very little kid(although back then I probably would of said "smarter than everyone else". I was narccassistic little sh*t back then) Its just I have no real gouge for wether I am or not(academics are 99% following instructions) so Im constantly turning everyday interactions into battles of wits with people to try and measure my practicle intelligence. If I win I feel like a million bucks if I lose I get all depressed lock myself in my room and play fallout until I eventualy forget why I was depressed. Its really a rather unhealthy cycle but, oh well.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I think this would generally be the case, yes.

There certainly is a tendency to retreat within the secondary function if extraverting isn't going so well (which it never will with a depressed person).

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
There certainly is a tendency to retreat within the secondary function if extraverting isn't going so well (which it never will with a depressed person).

From my experience, there is the problem that your main function is too chaotic to be extraverted with and that your second function is to introverted to be extraverted with.

So what's left ?

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
From my experience, there is the problem that your main function is too chaotic to be extraverted with and that your second function is to introverted to be extraverted with.

So what's left ?

Get old enough to where your child-like attributes are seen as charming and energizing rather than weird. It definitely helps when Ti is developed enough to be a "second self", so to speak - you've always got someone to bounce ideas off of in your head. It's never as effective as actual other people, but it's a sufficient workaround.

I also had to get over my "fear" of being appealing to other people - I had defined myself so heavily based on that Ti "objectivity" and "intelligence" that I forgot that it wasn't who I was as a young kid. I always wanted to make people laugh and feel good about themselves because I saw all these funny things in the world and I loved to laugh more than anything (and I still do). Rather than grow up, I had to realize that the kid inside of me had never gone anywhere, and I'd be much happier embracing myself in that manner.

It's also around the time where I figured out "damn it, I'm attractive, and I'm not going to accept thinking otherwise". It can be hard for ENTxs to internalize this reality, since our particular focus on the objective makes understanding where "attractiveness" comes from a bit of a difficult process. The last piece of the puzzle seems to be that this whole business is fun! Part and parcel of that was understanding that this was for my own sake, and that while the need to be respectful of their thoughts is critical, this belief should have no influence from what others said or thought. Confidence, I guess.

ESTPs are always good to have around, too. They almost never fail to open Ne up if you're not being a jerk at the time.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You didnt get me, I meant I have problems with speaking, cause Ne is weird and Ti is highly specialized.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I just need a purpose. Everyone seems to be pretty crazy without me already

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
I just need a purpose. Everyone seems to be pretty crazy without me already

No you don't. Just fucking do something for the hell of it. "Purpose" is something others made up to justify their own existence. You know your own existence justifies itself - just go along for the ride! Let's just see what happens.

People don't make sense. The quicker this is figured out, the happier one becomes. Not only that, but the illogical idiosyncrasies are actually what makes them interesting - it shows you a part of that person that is so inherent to their character that it is defining to them.

That's where I think the somewhat illusionary Fe development comes from - it's not Fe at all - it's Ne and Ti realizing that humans are really fucking interesting, and that it's worth letting them know that. It's just as much as a sea change in one's outlook as puberty was toward one's sexual inclinations.

Hell, worse comes to worse, get on a plane to the US. We'll make sure you have a good time over here. Refreshments will be served.