MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

The INTP scores are fascinating.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Well that's a bigger question... "would yeu do it if there were no restrictions, if yeu wouldn't feel guilty, if noone cared, if yeur SO didn't feel bad about it?"

Durr the answer is YES.

The only reason we DON'T is because we'd get in trouble, or because we were taught it was wrong. If yeu want to do it and hold yeurself back 'because it's wrong' , then if yeu weren't taught it was wrong, and it wasn't taboo, yeu would've done it normally.

The only advantage yeu have there at all is the ability to go against yeur instincts, and instead go with the training yeu were given. Seriously, by not commiting adultery, yeu have just justified yeurself as being as intelligent as... a dog. Because yeu went against basic instinct, and did something yeu were trained to do out of fear of being punished.

Is this a bad thing? Not really, but it doesn't really mean yeu have any 'true' moral high ground, as the moral wasn't held by every civilization either, see the example of rome previously. So going "zomg I don't do that because people say it's wrong" just means yeu're accepting a moral that was told to yeu, not validating it for yeurself whether it's really something yeu truly believe, or if yeu're just going along with it because yeu're scared of reprisal.

Yeu may truly believe it, in which case I'm quite glad that yeu're standing up for whot yeu believe in, even if it can be very difficult to do at times. I just don't like seeing people think they're morally superiour for showing off they're too scared to provide their own opinion and morals and just latch onto the herd mentality for fear of being kicked out of the herd.

Think carefully about yeur opinions and morals, don't just blindly follow everyone else "because it's the right thing to do". If yeu don't know WHY it's the right thing to do, then yeu aren't moral at all, yeu're just scared of getting caught.
    I've often equated this kind of setup to "The Ring of Gyges" from Plato's Republic. I must say that I agree with Socrates on this. There are men/women that hold to a standard for reasons other than social ones.

I would not, and have never, cheated in a monogamous relationship. My reasoning, albeit somewhat selfish, is simple. I value my integrity and my strength of will far more than any amount of sexual gratification. Why? Because I realize how temporary any sexual satisfaction is, versus how lasting my integrity is.

I also foresee a great deal of unwanted stress resulting from infidelity, and I'm not inclined to waste my time with such things.

If a person I'm seeing is proposing an open relationship, I will end the relationship all together. It is obvious at that point neither of us will be able to satisfy the others' needs. I require the same exclusivity that I give, and I cannot give anything contrary to that.

My rigidity may end up with me being alone in the end, but I'll be alone with my integrity, and that is a perfectly acceptable outcome for me.

On a side-note, yes, I'm aware of how J I sound.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    The INTP scores are fascinating.
    Yes, they are. I can't remember if there is a poll like it on INTPc, but I think the results would be more diverse with a broader sampling.

I don't think INTPs are especially inclined to cheat, but I think some of them have trouble ending a current relationship despite being dissatisfied because they dislike closure and/or confrontation.

For that reason they seem to sometimes . . . leave themselves open to circumstances that will force their or their partner's hand, ie. the person they are cheating with will push them to end their relationship or their partner will find out about the cheating and end the relationship.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by epp View Post
    i haven't been in many 'defined' relationships, but they have always been open relationships. so, technically, there has been no cheating. from a monogamous point of view - definitely.
    This. I have never technically cheated, but I have pushed for open relationships. If, however, I am forced to commit because I like the person and don't want to lose him, I am utterly and completely faithful. I don't take promises lightly. That being said, there is no danger of that at all anyway if I am head over heels for someone. Even in completely open relationships, I still end up behaving monogamously.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Yes, they are. I can't remember if there is a poll like it on INTPc, but I think the results would be more diverse with a broader sampling.

I don't think INTPs are especially inclined to cheat, but I think some of them have trouble ending a current relationship despite being dissatisfied because they dislike closure and/or confrontation.

For that reason they seem to sometimes . . . leave themselves open to circumstances that will force their or their partner's hand, ie. the person they are cheating with will push them to end their relationship or their partner will find out about the cheating and end the relationship.
    I'm not convinced you will get much of a spread of answers... NTs are suppose to be faithful psycologically so these results are only a little surpising to me.

Can you take the survey over and do it on INTP? I'd me interested to see if there was much difference.

For what its worth I had and INTP flirt very heavily with me, but in the type of way I kind of knew he would never follow through.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I'm not convinced you will get much of a spread of answers... NTs are suppose to be faithful psycologically so these results are only a little surpising to me.

Can you take the survey over and do it on INTP? I'd me interested to see if there was much difference.

For what its worth I had and INTP flirt very heavily with me, but in the type of way I kind of knew he would never follow through.
    It is the forums that have influenced my perceptions. Way more INTP hookups than I would have expected, including people that are in relationships.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTP

Cafe, why not poll them, it would at least validate the finding... it's pretty increadible that so few are unfaithful across the whole NT group

MBTI
    eNtP
    Enneagram
    4w5/

Is it because of the open-ended way INTP's do flirting?

MBTI
    ENTP

no because there was something about him that I knew he didn't have the spine to follow through.... I think it was all to try and keep himself young (if he only knew I was more than 10 years older than him)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Cafe, why not poll them, it would at least validate the finding... it's pretty increadible that so few are unfaithful across the whole NT group
    Because it sounds too much like work and I'm just not that motivated right now. As long as it's not my INTP doing the cheating I'm not overly concerned. I don't think he's that kind of guy, but he also knows I'm crazy enough to cut his weenie off if I ever found out he put it in someone else.
    ~ John Rogers