• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] What would you call it?

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Hi, I have the ability to "figure out" most people. Given a very small amount of information about someone I am able to pick up on...(bear with me I dont have names for anything, just vague terms, ill " " them) "flags", and figure out the relationship to the different "flags", and then I figure out different "flags from things like the way they talk, what they talk about, how they dress, and little things I pick up on.
Most people can do this, with friends and whatnot, the only difference is that I do it in a matter of seconds. USSUALLY, of course I have been wrong, but not often. I don't need anyone telling me that "first impressions are wrong" and all that. What I do isn't solely based on stereotypes, or even highly reliant on them. Its just hard to explain.

For example, I was wondering one day. Do i actually have the ability to do this? Or is it some illusion of gandeur? So, with my friend watching, I went to a random chatroom and talked to a bunch of people. And based on thier Screen names and two or three questions, i determined
Age, Location (as in rural, urban, suburban), Hobbies, Living Situation (with parents, married, whatever) kind of Friends, amount of friends, level of education, and taste in music.
And I was right...everytime. I thought, hey, people suck maybe they are just lieing or whatever, but multiple times? Idk.

What would call this?/ Are you able to do this?

Also, what part of my type would you attribute this to?

P

Phantonym

Umm...Intuition? Sure, I'm able to do this with little research on the person, picking up little cues here and there. Mainly just paying attention and connecting the dots.

Ohh. Do me, do me :holy: I give you three questions.

deepthought

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
A form of ESP. If I am correct this has absolutely nothing to do with any part of your "type", it is merely on the subconscious level and we have yet to understand.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wait, what exactly do you figure out about people? Have you figured me out? Mine should be pretty easy, seeing as I've just given you a fair bit of information to work with. Do you concentrate when you do it, or do you pick it up quickly? I think most people are quite capable of "figuring people out" when they concentrate on the mentality behind what's being said. I wouldn't doubt that you've had some sort of focus on this aspect of your life for a long time. It just comes naturally to you after a while, just like a musician playing something they've practiced for years or months.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
NT's are ale to figure people out very quickly, they are also suppse to be able to read minds to an extent... usually I think through picking up non verbal ques....

I was once in a meeting with a supplier and from the conversation I could tell the the proposal they were going to submit would tamper with the product specifications in a vain hope I wouldn't notice.... This I N'ed from a table take discussion.

I often pick up on non verbal converations at meetings too (which usually have about 3 N types and 10 S types). The N's engage in non verbal meetings the S's don't notice, it's v funny

NF's are suppose to be able to read peoples feelings very well and ampathise...

Of course both N types can get it wrong, N'types can go on saviour missions and T types can get it wrong and think within the box of their own periferal vision so to speak....

So yes read away but alway keep in your head you could be very very wrong

L

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Wait, what exactly do you figure out about people? Have you figured me out? Mine should be pretty easy, seeing as I've just given you a fair bit of information to work with. Do you concentrate when you do it, or do you pick it up quickly? I think most people are quite capable of "figuring people out" when they concentrate on the mentality behind what's being said. I wouldn't doubt that you've had some sort of focus on this aspect of your life for a long time. It just comes naturally to you after a while, just like a musician playing something they've practiced for years or months.

Well, for one thing I never "figure out" anyone who asks me to (not outloud), lol I found this is because I second guess myself too much, and people also have a tendancy to be biased one way or the other. Trust me, ALL of my friends have asked me.
As for the person who said "pattern recognition" id say that fit.

Do I concentrate hard? Not at all. Its more described as "knowing". Ive come to rely on it completelly, so much that I think it actually think it makes people turned off to believeing me. Ive realized people dont like to think they are not 'unique snowflakes' and idealists particularly are out right hostile to thinking they and others arent.

I'd say alot of it is non-verbal. Its almost like my subconscious figures it out super fast, and all i get is "knowing" and it makes me look stupid to try to explain it.

Its easy enough to say 5+5=10, but alot harder to explain WHY it is. lol

Also, for the people who say "i dont look like i am" (i dont either) i have noticed that my first impression (based entirely on a seconds long glimpse of how they LOOK) have been wrong (but id say are more than 90% right), but that the people that tend to prove me wrong do NOT give me the "knowing" feeling, so I wait it out and talk to them, and am rewarded.
Its basically this, most people TRY to advertise themselves, whether they know it or not. And thats just from sight.
People tell me all i need to know in a few sentences of speech.

Lol sorry for the long post. Its hard for me to describe it, like i said. I havent actually verbalized it.
I also believe its inductive logic.
On crack.

EDIT: Also, i have been wrong before, but the three times i have been very wrong (its either very wrong or very right btw) where with two girls, both much alike and for lack of a better term "Fucked up pasts, and were closet-promiscuous, and never gave me the feeling that they actually HAD feelings." They kinda perplexed me because they gave of NOTHING. , and one ex gf...in which i figured her out but ignored my "knowing" and was hurt because of it.

T

ThatGirl

Yes, I do this. I also get asked by friends to "do them." It makes me uncomfortable. I actually made a thread on this forum about, what I described as, "seeing people nekkid."

I think it is pattern recognition mixed with intuition. People are very simple and the underlying patterns are easy to recognize. Then when you add in the preferences for specific aspects of those patterns, I tend to be able to create a very good understanding of the individual character...in detail....in seconds.

The only times I have been wrong, were when people were trying to prove me wrong. Usually in the end, I realize I was right from day one. (The ex factor)

My INTJ friend was particularly curious about this ability. I think it is just the creative analysis of humanity and experience.

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Do you ever encounter people not believeing you if you tell them?

I often notice that people, especially idealists, just DONT believe me.

Even if I have years of stockpiled "I told you so", they still dont believe me.

Wanting to believe that they/people they like arre somehow exeptions to the rules.

Also, because nothing I do relies on the kind of "proof" they want, they discredit me.

Logically shouldnt it be a sort of proof if i'm right?

Often ill point this out to my ENFP friend, and hell just get pissed and say things like "I know im stupid, your smarter than me" and storm off.
And then he MAKES THE SAME MISTAKES.

Snow Turtle

You make it sound as if you are figuring out this stuff when it shouldn't be avaliable at all... in which case it'd be called Claircognizance by the paranormal community. Otherwise that's some impressive deductive skills if it's just based on minor connections... =o

T

ThatGirl

Do you ever encounter people not believing you if you tell them?

I often notice that people, especially idealists, just DONT believe me.

Even if I have years of stockpiled "I told you so", they still don't believe me.

Wanting to believe that they/people they like are somehow exceptions to the rules.

Also, because nothing I do relies on the kind of "proof" they want, they discredit me.

Logically shouldn't it be a sort of proof if i'm right?

Often ill point this out to my ENFP friend, and hell just get pissed and say things like "I know im stupid, your smarter than me" and storm off.
And then he MAKES THE SAME MISTAKES.

Lol! At that last part.

Actually I learned a while ago to keep my knowledge to myself. As you stated earlier, sometimes I doubt myself (specially on some of the bigger stuff). Usually, my doubts are unjustified. I found people DO believe me when I tell them, and they get uncomfortable around me after that. The only time I will let any of it out is if someone is seeking advice or is confused about something.

I had a guy ask a question on another forum once. I gave him my analysis and he replied, "Wow, your post damn near made me blush." Another "You may know me better than anybody."

I don't talk to many NFs and usually when I tell people, they believe me because there is no denying it. It takes people back more than anything. And often causes people to become distrustful when they know you know such things about them.

I don't like having this kind of info on people, and this is a big reason why I become increasingly introverted the older I get, prefer to interact with people online where information is a little more limited than in person, and only ever talk about myself.

Its kind of creepy.

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Lol! At that last part.

Actually I learned a while ago to keep my knowledge to myself. As you stated earlier, sometimes I doubt myself (specially on some of the bigger stuff). Usually, my doubts are unjustified. I found people DO believe me when I tell them, and they get uncomfortable around me after that. The only time I will let any of it out is if someone is seeking advice or is confused about something.

I had a guy ask a question on another forum once. I gave him my analysis and he replied, "Wow, your post damn near made me blush." Another "You may know me better than anybody."

I don't talk to many NFs and usually when I tell people, they believe me because there is no denying it. It takes people back more than anything. And often causes people to become distrustful when they know you know such things about them.

I don't like having this kind of info on people, and this is a big reason why I become increasingly introverted the older I get, prefer to interact with people online where information is a little more limited than in person, and only ever talk about myself.

Its kind of creepy.

The denial thing is ussually me telling someone about someone ELSE, a third party.
As for there not being anything for me to pick up on, i vehemetly do not belive in psychic abilities, even though I can 'figure' people out so effectivly. Its more like is readily available, but most people cannot see them, or havent trained their minds to pick up on things. I feel like I could show people certain things to look for, but they wouldnt be able to expand on it, most people anyway.
I do believe that it is all things a person can pick up on, just....very SMALL things. I bet there are psychics that use this actually lol.
BTW while my memory is better than most people, i would like to state i by no means have photographic memory or even am that alert lol

EDIT: I think that we should find people with other talents and start a crime fighting force! lol

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Pattern recognition.

This.

I noticed way before i discovered mbti that if people acts certain ways he most likely acts in certain way in totally different allso. You only need to know 2 to 3 different ways of reacting on some situation where you can pick up numerous types of behaviours on unknown situation.

Ill call these three known reactions of a person A, B and C. Now u start seeking patterns in other people you know that react to these things same way(these must be reactions that cant be effected by current emotions or other factors). For example A + C might be d(small letter since reaction is just theoretical) and if d matches with reaction A the chances that your right about reaction d might be true. Then u do the same with for example A + B and u got possible known reaction of e, if e and C doesent match at all, e is most likely false(or that reaction was effected by some emotional factors of the current situation). Now if e and d match and they both match with A, B and C they are quite surely true. Naturally you can build these patterns like branched tree looking if the branches match each others or not. More clear the pattern = more likely to be true, but further you go from the known reactions more likely it is that you make a mistake. Thats why you should compare those theoretical reactions to known reactions(but allso on those that are most likely true) before making eny assumptions, but you can go wadering on theoretical paths little to find a clear path that matches well on known reactions. If you want to be good on this, you cant go wandering too far away so you wont get lost, but allso you need to go far enough to find ansvers.

Naturally you usually know more than 3 things about person you are trying to figure out, so seeking connections between reactions is easier and you can do more accurate assumptions of the persons reaction of a unknown situation.

Those unknown situations can be for example how that other guy would react on something you say, so now u might know what to say or what not to say to other person based something totally different thing than talking.

Hopefully someone understands what im trying to say :D
Its not easy to explain intp mind, especially on foreign language..

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Yeah, I've always been pretty good at figuring out what kind of person someone is just by looking at them. I'm right much more often than not. If I had to put a figure on it, I would say that I'm right at least 80% of the time, and that's a conservative estimate at that.

In the past, if I ran into a type of person that I didn't like, I'd just pretty much avoid having to deal with them, even if there was no personal reason for doing so. Since coming to college, I've learned to just keep my mouth shut or "ignore" how I feel and just deal with people as they come. The only thing I can equate it to is if you were the main character in Fable, you'd do stupid shit like dancing to make people like you more. Believe it or not, that kind of stuff works almost the same way IRL; you just don't see a happiness meter over the person.

therationaledge

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
8w7
Yeah, I've always been pretty good at figuring out what kind of person someone is just by looking at them. I'm right much more often than not. If I had to put a figure on it, I would say that I'm right at least 80% of the time, and that's a conservative estimate at that.

In the past, if I ran into a type of person that I didn't like, I'd just pretty much avoid having to deal with them, even if there was no personal reason for doing so. Since coming to college, I've learned to just keep my mouth shut or "ignore" how I feel and just deal with people as they come. The only thing I can equate it to is if you were the main character in Fable, you'd do stupid shit like dancing to make people like you more. Believe it or not, that kind of stuff works almost the same way IRL; you just don't see a happiness meter over the person.

Ive completelly taken the opposite route, im college-age and pretty much act completelly myself around people, then after I get confirmation that they are not aquantance material, I just ignore them.

Socially inept is the wrong word, i am a social manipulating wizard, its just I think the rituals of this stuff make me feel like a stupid animal, so I try to rise above it. fuck ritual.

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4
INTPs are good at filling in the blanks. They're studious, observative, and are natural deducers. The intuitive pairs well with the thinking and perceptive traits, and we are constantly trying to grasp an abstract, systematic whole by putting it together piece by piece, like a jigsaw puzzle.