User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Default What would you call it?

Hi, I have the ability to "figure out" most people. Given a very small amount of information about someone I am able to pick up on...(bear with me I dont have names for anything, just vague terms, ill " " them) "flags", and figure out the relationship to the different "flags", and then I figure out different "flags from things like the way they talk, what they talk about, how they dress, and little things I pick up on.
    Most people can do this, with friends and whatnot, the only difference is that I do it in a matter of seconds. USSUALLY, of course I have been wrong, but not often. I don't need anyone telling me that "first impressions are wrong" and all that. What I do isn't solely based on stereotypes, or even highly reliant on them. Its just hard to explain.

For example, I was wondering one day. Do i actually have the ability to do this? Or is it some illusion of gandeur? So, with my friend watching, I went to a random chatroom and talked to a bunch of people. And based on thier Screen names and two or three questions, i determined
    Age, Location (as in rural, urban, suburban), Hobbies, Living Situation (with parents, married, whatever) kind of Friends, amount of friends, level of education, and taste in music.
    And I was right...everytime. I thought, hey, people suck maybe they are just lieing or whatever, but multiple times? Idk.

What would call this?/ Are you able to do this?

Also, what part of my type would you attribute this to?
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

Phantonym

Umm...Intuition? Sure, I'm able to do this with little research on the person, picking up little cues here and there. Mainly just paying attention and connecting the dots.

Ohh. Do me, do me I give you three questions.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

A form of ESP. If I am correct this has absolutely nothing to do with any part of your "type", it is merely on the subconscious level and we have yet to understand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Incidentally, I believe that I am a dominant Ti user, and I often have trouble explaining things that I understand well. It's a matter of organizing the presentation of material. I can have it perfectly organized in my head all at once, but structuring the sequential delivery of material so that others understand is a different matter entirely, and requires a different skill set that I am apparently lacking.

MBTI
    ENFJ

oh oh do me too!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Pattern recognition.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Wait, what exactly do you figure out about people? Have you figured me out? Mine should be pretty easy, seeing as I've just given you a fair bit of information to work with. Do you concentrate when you do it, or do you pick it up quickly? I think most people are quite capable of "figuring people out" when they concentrate on the mentality behind what's being said. I wouldn't doubt that you've had some sort of focus on this aspect of your life for a long time. It just comes naturally to you after a while, just like a musician playing something they've practiced for years or months.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP

NT's are ale to figure people out very quickly, they are also suppse to be able to read minds to an extent... usually I think through picking up non verbal ques....

I was once in a meeting with a supplier and from the conversation I could tell the the proposal they were going to submit would tamper with the product specifications in a vain hope I wouldn't notice.... This I N'ed from a table take discussion.

I often pick up on non verbal converations at meetings too (which usually have about 3 N types and 10 S types). The N's engage in non verbal meetings the S's don't notice, it's v funny

NF's are suppose to be able to read peoples feelings very well and ampathise...

Of course both N types can get it wrong, N'types can go on saviour missions and T types can get it wrong and think within the box of their own periferal vision so to speak....

So yes read away but alway keep in your head you could be very very wrong

L

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    Wait, what exactly do you figure out about people? Have you figured me out? Mine should be pretty easy, seeing as I've just given you a fair bit of information to work with. Do you concentrate when you do it, or do you pick it up quickly? I think most people are quite capable of "figuring people out" when they concentrate on the mentality behind what's being said. I wouldn't doubt that you've had some sort of focus on this aspect of your life for a long time. It just comes naturally to you after a while, just like a musician playing something they've practiced for years or months.
    Well, for one thing I never "figure out" anyone who asks me to (not outloud), lol I found this is because I second guess myself too much, and people also have a tendancy to be biased one way or the other. Trust me, ALL of my friends have asked me.
    As for the person who said "pattern recognition" id say that fit.

Do I concentrate hard? Not at all. Its more described as "knowing". Ive come to rely on it completelly, so much that I think it actually think it makes people turned off to believeing me. Ive realized people dont like to think they are not 'unique snowflakes' and idealists particularly are out right hostile to thinking they and others arent.

I'd say alot of it is non-verbal. Its almost like my subconscious figures it out super fast, and all i get is "knowing" and it makes me look stupid to try to explain it.

Its easy enough to say 5+5=10, but alot harder to explain WHY it is. lol

Also, for the people who say "i dont look like i am" (i dont either) i have noticed that my first impression (based entirely on a seconds long glimpse of how they LOOK) have been wrong (but id say are more than 90% right), but that the people that tend to prove me wrong do NOT give me the "knowing" feeling, so I wait it out and talk to them, and am rewarded.
    Its basically this, most people TRY to advertise themselves, whether they know it or not. And thats just from sight.
    People tell me all i need to know in a few sentences of speech.

Lol sorry for the long post. Its hard for me to describe it, like i said. I havent actually verbalized it.
    I also believe its inductive logic.
    On crack.

EDIT: Also, i have been wrong before, but the three times i have been very wrong (its either very wrong or very right btw) where with two girls, both much alike and for lack of a better term "Fucked up pasts, and were closet-promiscuous, and never gave me the feeling that they actually HAD feelings." They kinda perplexed me because they gave of NOTHING. , and one ex gf...in which i figured her out but ignored my "knowing" and was hurt because of it.
    "You would lose your money," Sherlock Holmes remarked calmly. "As for the article I wrote it myself."

"You!"

"Yes, I have a turn both for observation and for deduction. The theories which I have expressed there, and which appear to you to be so chimerical are really extremely practical -- so practical that I depend upon them for my bread and cheese."

ThatGirl

Yes, I do this. I also get asked by friends to "do them." It makes me uncomfortable. I actually made a thread on this forum about, what I described as, "seeing people nekkid."

I think it is pattern recognition mixed with intuition. People are very simple and the underlying patterns are easy to recognize. Then when you add in the preferences for specific aspects of those patterns, I tend to be able to create a very good understanding of the individual character...in detail....in seconds.

The only times I have been wrong, were when people were trying to prove me wrong. Usually in the end, I realize I was right from day one. (The ex factor)

My INTJ friend was particularly curious about this ability. I think it is just the creative analysis of humanity and experience.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Do you ever encounter people not believeing you if you tell them?

I often notice that people, especially idealists, just DONT believe me.

Even if I have years of stockpiled "I told you so", they still dont believe me.

Wanting to believe that they/people they like arre somehow exeptions to the rules.

Also, because nothing I do relies on the kind of "proof" they want, they discredit me.

Logically shouldnt it be a sort of proof if i'm right?

Often ill point this out to my ENFP friend, and hell just get pissed and say things like "I know im stupid, your smarter than me" and storm off.
    And then he MAKES THE SAME MISTAKES.

"You!"