• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sigh.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I don't think my grandmother (severe SFJ) has had an N moment in her life. All she does is talk about crossword puzzles, scratch-off cards, bingo, saving 5 cents a pound on asparagus (for a longer, more pointless drive,) and family relations (bickering about whoever displeased her in some way, even if there is nothing to be displeased about.)

Sitting at breakfast today with her (woo,) it just came upon me that she probably never really questioned anything in her life, and wouldn't ever do so. Things like religion, enlightenment...I don't know. I just kind of pitied her, because I can't stand to be 'grounded' in the real world more than ten minutes at a time, and there she was, sitting there, talking about stuff that I could only see as S-based.

It really makes me think about the futility of life.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
But in a way, it seems like I would be more happy if I questioned things less. The more you come to the awareness that you know nothing, and will probably never know, the more futile life can become. Works both ways, is all I'm saying.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I know what you mean, and I understand this very well, but I just couldn't imagine being like my grandmother. I would go crazy.

Huh, I wonder what this means. Have I reached a level "above" her intellectually, or spiritually, or does it even matter? Am I just the arrogant one who's destined to live life just as blindly as she, searching for a purpose that may not even be there? I suppose it's the difference of looking up and looking down. Looking down, you can find many interesting things on the ground, but you'll never see what comes crashing down. When you're looking up, it's easy to see what's going to come crashing down and you can avoid it, but it's easy to trip along the way. Yes, I know, very FFVII.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I :heart: FFVII

You wouldn't go crazy with her existence because that would be all you know. If you had to trade consciousness with her, that would be different.

Also, some people develop coping mechanisms when they ordinarily would be different under different circumstances. Like during times of war, it would make no sense to fantasize about things you didn't have. Things like that.

Don't feel pity for her, or futility for yourself. We are all on different paths that lead to the same place: the grave. It'll be over soon enough.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
But in a way, it seems like I would be more happy if I questioned things less. The more you come to the awareness that you know nothing, and will probably never know, the more futile life can become. Works both ways, is all I'm saying.

You have a great point.

My GF is completely disinterested in anything that is not applicable to her life at this very stage, very little interest in "broadening her horizons," and I sometimes tell her [when I am frustrated with her, and being very mean] that she has no curiosity. Yet, she seems much happier than I am. So maybe she's right?

TopherRed

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand

I'd say take your own signature's advice. We can't quite ever understand why our cupon cutting, newspaper clipping, lottery playing, people backbitting, crossword obsessed SFJ grandmothers are the way they are. At some point, we just have to except our limited understanding.

On the other hand Blank, I wonder if they just take refuge in "S" like some of us take refuge in "N"...never wanting to grow past their own boundaries to face that there's more to life then what they are comfortable with. I honestly think that's it. I know plenty of hardcore "S" who've ventured into "N" territory, despite the difficultiess thereof and visa versa.

But hey, I understand completely. My grandmother, bless her heart, is the same way.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Hahaha, all I can think of in response to that is a gentle tip of my hat.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP

I think questioning things makes me happy because it brings knowledge, and the more I know the less I fear, because man fears the unknown, the less I fear the happier I become.

Ignorance is not bliss after all.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Why pity an S for being an S? It is what we prefer.