• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Profile of a teenage INTP chick

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I mean, really??

If this forum is a "heavy think tank" by most people's standards, rather than a casual environment with intellectual elements seeping in, then I hate to think how normal people interact. And I hate even more to imagine what people like Provoker and BlueWing must seem like to THEM. Though I must admit, I have been on forums where I came across to the average person the way BW comes across to us, so... there might be something to it. *shudders*

You have to learn the fact that where are humans there are standards.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
You have to learn the fact that where are humans there are standards.

Umm... I know that people have rules/expectations and everything, if that's what you mean.

But what does that have to do with my post? :huh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Umm... I know that people have rules/expectations and everything, if that's what you mean.

But what does that have to do with my post? :huh:

I have no clue, its the fingers who type in dumb things but the mind is long gone

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Part of the biggest problem I had in middle school was readjusting the bar for where "average" intelligence lies.

Boy, was I constantly lowering the bar.

Now I'm apathetic, so everything's cheery! ;)

SolitaryWalker

Tenured roisterer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Some initial notes: I'll be describing in a detail a female INTP friend. There's a bit of an analysis here and I would like to hear some thoughts of female INTP members here, on how I map things out.

Some initial background first:
I'm a member of another forum. It's basically the unofficial online community of my local university. Being academic in nature, the forum is pretty much intellectual in nature, though not as heavy of a think tank community than this Typology Central forum, in my opinion. There are discussions of MBTI, but that comes in rarely.

It has roughly close to 10,000 membership. A few hundreds post regularly. I estimate that around 100-200 of the regular posters may have met a lot of the forum members in real life, because the forum is based on a specific university locality. I'm one of those 100-200. I can easily say that I'm personally acquainted with 40-50 members.

Out of that 40-50, I know only two INTPs. Both are males. One is a social retard, I'm not even sure how much he's aware of it--stereotypical INTP that trolls around. One is a more charismatic, more extroverted, healthy INTP that could have a better developed J. He gets things going for him.

Outside those 40-50 people, I'm regularly in touch (at least online) with dozens more that I haven't really met in real life. Of course, I would always put a better degree of regard to those that I ACTUALLY know. Even if as an INTP myself, I don't want to be that much socially secluded.

One day, I got a text message from one of those girls in the forum that I haven't met up yet. She's says in the message that she took a test, and it showed that she's an INTP.

Me: "Well, you can't be an INTP, because I'm an INTP, there aren't a lot of things that we have in common."
Her: "You are an INTP?"
Me: "I know that test like it's my regular breakfast"
Her: "Errr....what's an INTP?"

I'm going to skip the details of that. Eventually, I would then have to take into account whatever interactions we're having ever since we got in touch (she's very accessible thru the phone and online), and see if I can get some parallels. The revelation got me interested. This is the closest I got to a verified INTP girl since I discovered MBTI (around 2 years ago).

Some assessments:
1. She doesn't like to show up to anyone in the forum, in real life. There's a considerable degree of anti-social behavior there, for certain. So everybody else in the forum that I know personally has little facts to work with on mapping her out. But this girl shows up enough of an online presence that a lot of people would wanna talk about her. My initial hunch is that the forum is SENSOR dominated, and that's probably one of the reasons why she's considerably elusive.

2. Her emotional facets/range are severely restricted. And if that's an observation from an INTP guy, that EFFIN' says a lot. It's usually just two types: promiscuity and trolling/sarcasm. It's kinda a weird duality, in my opinion. How can a girl be considerably a sociopath and at the same time, leave some room for promiscuity. At least almost all the promiscuous girls I know are extroverted. This is a bit of an anomaly. In the first place, INTP promiscuity is borderlining oxymoron.

3. Well, come to think of it, if you're a promiscuous INTP girl, it does have a certain degree of appeal if you're promiscuous minus the emotional baggage that SFs usually exhibit. There's not much expectation for romanticizing the lifestyle, unlike some extroverted SFs that would always seem to add a sugarcoated meaning to it. Being an INTP certainly restraints that emotional side.

4. She came from a possibly heavily conservative SJ family (take note that she's just new to MBTI and she hardly knows the jargon yet), and she told me one that sensuality became her "outlet" of some sort. But with her asshole attitude, it could buffer the effect of the outlet. Not to mention that she said that in her family, showing emotions is a sign of a weakness. So I guess that explains number two.

5. She's smart. She's 18 (I'm 27). She talks to to me like we're on equal footing (that's a glaring INTP sign right there). Still, I find her to be too arrogant. A lesson that I want every noob INTP to learn is that, learn to show courtesy to the person that can understand you because there are not a lot of them, and almost every INTP secretly wants to be understood.

6. I flirt with her sometimes. She flirts sexually. Hardly traces of emotions there. I hardly push it though, since if she toggles the flirtation with her sarcasm, I'll be on the losing end. I'm not a heavily sarcastic INTP, even during in my most arrogant state.

7. She's super reckless in her delivery of her sarcasm. Pretty much like ESFP kind of reckless. Unlike ESFP kind of reckless, which is more rooted towards idiocy and lack of forethought, her's is more piercing, deeply rooted, and pounds deep. She'll be surprised if you react emotionally to the statement. She doesn't have that much developed forethought yet, but her sarcasm is hardly shallow.

8. She hates girls. At least that's what she tells me. She's more drawn to guy friends. I think it's more of a hatred for SF that girls in general. She's also drawn towards "established" men (ENTJ?). I don't think it's purely materialism right there. But I think it's more like she realizes somewhat that her anti-culture state can be a potential hindrance of some sort to future success, that's why she wants a buffer of some sort. Though she's still young, and I see in her the desire of wanting to prove a lot of things. Sort of a childish idealist dilemma of some sort. Being at my current age of 27, I don't carry the same level of arrogance and idealism anymore.

9. Lastly, in terms of fondness with this girl, I would say that ENFJ and INFJ girls are more complementary to an INTP. I have a certain degree of developed extroverted-ness and Fi and flirting isn't hard for me to do, and I say NFs are more complimentary. But this INTP girl comes in interesting as someone that you want to dissect cerebrally. She feels a bit awkward that I have a better degree of sociability and I would sometimes teach her the virtue of being politically correct. Well, if you're inherently anti-culture/anti-norm, being politically correct, even if just pretentiously, shouldn't hurt that bad. It will give her better mileage in the long run. So far, she's not embracing the idea, and would always insist that she should have enough breathing room on what to say, even if it's a very annoying statement she'll be giving.

Some questions:
1. INTP men are usually pressured socially to be TJs. Are INTP females more pressured to be SFs?

2. Is this sensuality outlet an isolated care? Or does a lot of INTP girl relate to this?

I do not know what it is that you are doing this in thread, but it is certainly not typology. Typology is a study of solidified unconscious tendencies or habits of mind that are a result of innate predispositions. The descriptions of a personality in your post are not any more compatible with the INTP temperament than with a quintissential SF. It is not surprising that some of her behaviors led you to wonder why her behavior is so distinctly reminiscent of an SF.

In short, your inquiry is fundamentally wrong-headed. Your focus is too narrow and aimed in the uncongenial direction. Namely qualities that are specific to personality and a one certain individual.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
A lot of NT chicks learn how to act more F-ish because that's what is expected of them by society..in order to type a person, you can't look at what he or she is trying to be but rather what he or she actually is..
All the girls I know are very touchy-feely and huggy. It activates and makes clear my own lack of emotional aggression..:huh:

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
A lot of NT chicks learn how to act more F-ish because that's what is expected of them by society..in order to type a person, you can't look at what he or she is trying to be but rather what he or she actually is..

If it were that easy, we all would get away with our shortcomings wouldnt we ?

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
No one said it was easy, or even desirable for that matter.

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Many things are easier said than done.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
This is a heavy think tank?

I'm not sure if I would call this forum a "heavy think tank", but I'm fairly certain there are several very gifted individuals on the forum, and even the average poster is of above average intelligence. The quality of discussions is one big reason I like to visit here. I originally thought about joining Mensa, but they have membership dues and I'd have to fork out money to take an official IQ test. I'm too cheap for any of that, and I realized the main thing I wanted was to discuss N type topics, so I started looking for MBTI type forums instead. The people here are fairly bright overall.

To the OP:
Based on your description I'd say this girl is a mistyped ENTx of some sort. Blunt communication and promiscuity are not out of character for ENTx's at all. It is also not uncommon for an ENTx to mistype as INTP. The other option is that she really is an INTP, but her upbringing taught her to extravert behavior to the point so that she acts like a ENTx much of the time. That's my $.02.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
She sounds like a goldigging skankasaurus to me. Stay clear dude, unless you want a lot of unnecessary baggage. I'm not sure if she's an INTP, but then again my former best friend sounds a lot like her. I don't know... I wouldn't even bother being friends with someone like that.

Anyway, why do you care? Kind of seems a bit obsessive to me. She is or she is not. Who gives a shit.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
1. She doesn't like to show up to anyone in the forum, in real life. There's a considerable degree of anti-social behavior there, for certain. So everybody else in the forum that I know personally has little facts to work with on mapping her out. But this girl shows up enough of an online presence that a lot of people would wanna talk about her. My initial hunch is that the forum is SENSOR dominated, and that's probably one of the reasons why she's considerably elusive.

2. Her emotional facets/range are severely restricted. And if that's an observation from an INTP guy, that EFFIN' says a lot. It's usually just two types: promiscuity and trolling/sarcasm. It's kinda a weird duality, in my opinion. How can a girl be considerably a sociopath and at the same time, leave some room for promiscuity. At least almost all the promiscuous girls I know are extroverted. This is a bit of an anomaly. In the first place, INTP promiscuity is borderlining oxymoron.

3. Well, come to think of it, if you're a promiscuous INTP girl, it does have a certain degree of appeal if you're promiscuous minus the emotional baggage that SFs usually exhibit. There's not much expectation for romanticizing the lifestyle, unlike some extroverted SFs that would always seem to add a sugarcoated meaning to it. Being an INTP certainly restraints that emotional side.

4. She came from a possibly heavily conservative SJ family (take note that she's just new to MBTI and she hardly knows the jargon yet), and she told me one that sensuality became her "outlet" of some sort. But with her asshole attitude, it could buffer the effect of the outlet. Not to mention that she said that in her family, showing emotions is a sign of a weakness. So I guess that explains number two.

5. She's smart. She's 18 (I'm 27). She talks to to me like we're on equal footing (that's a glaring INTP sign right there). Still, I find her to be too arrogant. A lesson that I want every noob INTP to learn is that, learn to show courtesy to the person that can understand you because there are not a lot of them, and almost every INTP secretly wants to be understood.

6. I flirt with her sometimes. She flirts sexually. Hardly traces of emotions there. I hardly push it though, since if she toggles the flirtation with her sarcasm, I'll be on the losing end. I'm not a heavily sarcastic INTP, even during in my most arrogant state.

7. She's super reckless in her delivery of her sarcasm. Pretty much like ESFP kind of reckless. Unlike ESFP kind of reckless, which is more rooted towards idiocy and lack of forethought, her's is more piercing, deeply rooted, and pounds deep. She'll be surprised if you react emotionally to the statement. She doesn't have that much developed forethought yet, but her sarcasm is hardly shallow.

8. She hates girls. At least that's what she tells me. She's more drawn to guy friends. I think it's more of a hatred for SF that girls in general. She's also drawn towards "established" men (ENTJ?). I don't think it's purely materialism right there. But I think it's more like she realizes somewhat that her anti-culture state can be a potential hindrance of some sort to future success, that's why she wants a buffer of some sort. Though she's still young, and I see in her the desire of wanting to prove a lot of things. Sort of a childish idealist dilemma of some sort. Being at my current age of 27, I don't carry the same level of arrogance and idealism anymore.

9. Lastly, in terms of fondness with this girl, I would say that ENFJ and INFJ girls are more complementary to an INTP. I have a certain degree of developed extroverted-ness and Fi and flirting isn't hard for me to do, and I say NFs are more complimentary. But this INTP girl comes in interesting as someone that you want to dissect cerebrally. She feels a bit awkward that I have a better degree of sociability and I would sometimes teach her the virtue of being politically correct. Well, if you're inherently anti-culture/anti-norm, being politically correct, even if just pretentiously, shouldn't hurt that bad. It will give her better mileage in the long run. So far, she's not embracing the idea, and would always insist that she should have enough breathing room on what to say, even if it's a very annoying statement she'll be giving.

I do not see any thing here that is non-INTP. Why is there so much type doubt surrounding her?

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Anyway, why do you care? Kind of seems a bit obsessive to me. She is or she is not. Who gives a shit.

That was my first impression, that you should calm down a bit. I'm not exactly sure whether you're "into" her or just curious about her being a INTP.
If you're into her, and I'm getting this vibe because you're talking about her sexuality, compatibility to INTPs, and flirting and all that jazz, I don't think this is the right way to approach her...

If you're just curious, then I'll answer the questions.

1. I've never felt the need to try to be SF, I dress how I want and I act how I want, the only oppposing forces is when it's time to express my aspirations and true opinions. I know one example: We had to write a essay on what we want to do in the future. The obvious answer (and most respected) and common in my classroom was to get good grades, have good friends, go to college, fall in love and have kids. (This was very SF in my eyes) period. I decided not to do the essay because my idea of goals is to experience- just mainly, learn and experience the world of new things while expressing my creativity. At that time I didn't want to go to college, so I guess to the teachers that meant = slug.

2. ...what?

alpaca

MBTI Type
INTP

Some questions:
1. INTP men are usually pressured socially to be TJs. Are INTP females more pressured to be SFs?

2. Is this sensuality outlet an isolated care? Or does a lot of INTP girl relate to this?

1. Sure. Maybe not "pressured" exactly, but it seems like it would be way easier to get along with girls as an SF. As I mentioned somewhere else, our behavior is often misinterpreted (as aloof, innocent, shy, arrogant, etc.) and seems to elicit actual jealousy. This is a problem when you don't appear part of the group.

2. Her form of "sensuality" (you sure you don't mean sexuality?) seems to be more of an isolated case. Check out the promiscuity thread here; INTPs DO NOT like it, haha. Perhaps she doesn't take sex seriously, or is cynical based on events in her life. She might not like romance at all. I can see how INTPs could be blase about sex as a "base" activity that motivates people instead of more worthy intellectual pursuits. But there's no way to know why she does that.. maybe poor social skills.

brilliantwomble

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
1. I guess INTP girls could be pressured to be SFs, but personally, I would never feel pressured to lean that direction. I agree with an earlier poster, when things are tough and people are being particularly critical of my behavior, I just wish I were a guy so that people would leave me alone. (Not that I wish I were a guy, but at times it would make life easier.) People could probably attempt to pressure an INTP girl, but I don't think she would be swayed to act more SF unless she could get something out of it.

2. Probably an isolated case. I couldn't relate to that at all. Not unless I severely snapped and because a completely different person.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That was my first impression, that you should calm down a bit. I'm not exactly sure whether you're "into" her or just curious about her being a INTP.
If you're into her, and I'm getting this vibe because you're talking about her sexuality, compatibility to INTPs, and flirting and all that jazz, I don't think this is the right way to approach her...
+1

OP is creepy. And judgemental.

How do you even know she is promiscuous? Because of her interaction style? Hint: she's also sarcastic. She probably thinks you're a moron and is having some fun at your expense.

Go girl.

Twixt

MBTI Type
ISTP
I feel strong societal pressure to be a J, specifically, ESFJ (in my personal, specific environment, that is - Js, Ts, ENTPs with strong focus on competence, quite a few Ss!). I feel that females definitely are more expected to be Fs (well, duh, this is a well-established fact haha). S, I'm not so sure, but I think people find female Ns delightful as well (particularly NFs).

Uhm, hmmm. I think its not that common, but I can relate to it. It is my opinion that most INTPs wouldn't really bother with 'sensuality' as you put it - I can see female INTPs thinking its a ridiculous waste of time, all that stupid 'big talk' being empty and useless. HOWEVER, I can see INTPs using this (sensuality) to kind of gain control over the situation - what comes to my mind is Enneagram sexual variant. (feisty, kinda.)

Haha i also have to say that i relate to your whole page ramble on this one girl - its so INTP :D

catalyst

MBTI Type
INTP
I definitely felt/feel the pressure to be more SF - however, it all amounts to a social veneer, never an actual possessed trait. On other words, I can kinda fake it, but it is never a knee jerk reaction. It isn't that I don't have feelings, it's just that they are in my head. Feelings are VERY overwhelming to me and I shut down. It takes time and solitude to organise them into usefulness. So, faking the SF for shallow, societal reasons is an acquired survival technique, but internally it feels awkward to the extreme. There are just so many more efficient methods of communicating.

I can relate to it. I grew up in a similiarly repressive background and mixed signals about sexuality. I got a lot of attention because of my looks - which I rejected as shallow, obnoxious, gross. I quickly felt disgust at the complete disregard for my brain and contempt for the 'power' my looks gave me. However, the first guy that came around that played hard to get was a challenge and 'safe' for me to express myself sexually. I'm guessing that although INTP women are rare -- that libido will vary amongst individuals. Past sexual abuse can affect behavior as well. I can honestly say though I thoroughly enjoy sex and appreciate it, it doesn't mean the same thing emotionally to me as it does to my spouse.....it's a biological function. There are many factors that affect sexuality.