User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTp

Post Cognitive Functions

One thing that's been bothering me is that most people's cognitive functions don't really seem to fit their Myers Briggs type. While you would expect the norm to be something close to the way they're listed, I usually see a hierarchy of someone who has taken the cognitive functions test that does not fit the profile.

For example, the list for an INTP would go:

Ti Ne Si Fe Te Ni Se Fi

but most INTPs have something like:

Ti Ne Te Si Ni Se Fe Fi

Why is that? Does the list of functions not really work? Does the test look only for preference and not ability, and if so, are they really that different? Am I just seeing a lot of outliers for some reason?
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

Enneagram: 5

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    but most INTPs have something like:

Ti Ne Te Si Ni Se Fe Fi
    I disagree already.

Most INTPs have sucky Te.
    They don't get anything done; they just sit around and dabble in theoretical pursuits.

The three pairings I see more is:
    Ti+Si
    Ti+Ne (or even stronger Ne)
    or Ti+Ni+Ne

(I think)

It's all just a theory. Deviations are the norm.

There's been discussing on i/e functions pairs -- i.e., can you develop either the I or E of the pair (e.g., Se vs Si) without developing the other to some degree?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    YaYa

Yeah INTP exhibit very little Te.

Ask the some type of analytical question. First thing they will do is stop all physical activity and "process" before answering. I've never really been able to think aloud.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

MBTI is not a perfect analysis, but more of a close estimation. A tool for self development if you will. Sometimes it seems people fit into it messily, or not at all.

I think we often forget that just because we prefer a certain set of functions, doesn't mean that the others are no longer there. We all have 8. And just like a muscle group, we're free to develop them as we see fit. I myself have an abnormal Ti according to the MBTI.

I'm starting to think of MBTI as just a preset group of examples for how certain cognitive functions work in relation to one another. It shows me what sort of behaviors I should focus on if I wish to further develop certain functions. That may be totally wrong, but I'm just pondering the idea currently.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yep, INTPs are really just that different. Or, MBTI types are really just that rough.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    For example, the list for an INTP would go:

Ti Ne Si Fe Te Ni Se Fi
    Simple answer: whoever came up with that specific ordering is crazy. I don't know why it keeps being parroted around everywhere. I don't think it's even "official MBTI".
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Perhaps we should collate cognitive functions of averages of people reporting specific MBTI types, so we can get to the bottom of what's actually most likely.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1

I have been thinking about this lately. Thanks for giving me an existing thread to answer.

My take now is that the conscious order, taking an INTP, is Ti - Ne - Si - Fe. That doesn't even mean how strong each one is, it tells which is used as dominant, secondary, tertiary and inferior. Since these four are conscious (to whatever degree), they are usually present in this order.

Now my theory is that the other four are unconscious (that doesn't mean they can't be experienced), and that they take random places, not in the least in the way they are experienced. Taking my own function order, this is the case. Their role is pretty inconceivable, they're in their own 'universe', having their own rules. One idea I have is that they occur in places within the conscious order to help that order, by forming sub-personalities, e.g. NeFi or NiTe, when considering my own function order. I'm explaining it shortly... It should probably develop more. Probably the four unconscious functions are also more easily to recognize in others (than in oneself).

Now that's for some (short) Ti theorizing...

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se
    Ti, Ne, (Fi, Ni, Te), Si, Fe, (Se)

Seeing some parallells in our orders...
    INtj | 9w1

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Simple answer: whoever came up with that specific ordering is crazy. I don't know why it keeps being parroted around everywhere. I don't think it's even "official MBTI".
    No, they're not crazy. It's one of the "logical" progressions built off the primary+secondary combos that define each MBTI type.

(Ti+Ne for example is the same as saying INTP. Every "type" can be represented by a unique Primary+Sec pairing. Now, if you assume fourth position is the opposite of primary -- Fe -- then the logical function missing in that pattern is Si. It's natural to assume the second quattro is going to be the flip of the first quattro, although there are some OTHER sequences that fit a pattern as well.)

The thing is that theory isn't always reality.
    What makes sense on paper doesn't necessarily reflect the truth.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

The problem here is that Te and Ti (for example) are not really different functions. It's misleading to think of it that way. The best way I've thought of to conceptualize the system is that there are FOUR functions (Thinking, Feeling, Sensing, and Intuition) and an Introversion/Extroversion score for each one.

So someone with X amount of thinking would have Y Ti and (X-Y) Te. Any two INTPs could have different X and Y values, which would mean their 8 function order would look different. (Check out my type calculator for a visual if you want.)