User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 91

  1. #71
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    Is that why a lot of the SJs I know seem to be conservative?

    Si - Conservative?
    Ti - Libertarian?
    Fe - Liberal?

    Something like that?
    I don't think it's that simple. For example, I know Ti liberals who think libertarians are extremely logical people who have made a grave error in their thinking. Or whom even consider Objectivism a form of incurable insanity.

    Also, some SJs have prominant Fe, like ESFJs, for example, so they could be Fe dom and SJ. Fe can care about others in a non-liberal sense. I think conservative Fe doms - stereotypically the xSFJs - just focus their sharing and caring in more microcosmic manner within their own tangible community.

    There's a stereotype, too, that NFs are liberal.

  2. #72
    Member FlamingMask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    79

    Default

    You're right about all that, especially the fact that someone can be Fe-dom and SJ.

    However, do you think the NF stereotype is in any way accurate?
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

    Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

    Enneagram: 5


  3. #73
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    You're right about all that, especially the fact that someone can be Fe-dom and SJ.

    However, do you think the NF stereotype is in any way accurate?
    I think it might be applied as a generalization, simply because NFs tend to put great emphasis on ethics, relationships with people, and so forth... but of course it isn't always an accurate assumption.

    There are conservative NFs and liberal SJs, I'm sure, depending on their individual experience and context of the cultural values in which they live. I think SJs are probably more likely to be liberal when surrounded by a strongly "liberal" community (and remember, what is viewed as "liberal" in the United States could be viewed as moderate or even conservative in another country), liberal parents, etc. but that's just another generalization.

    I've encountered quite a few NT liberals so I don't believe that they're all libertarians by any stretch of the imagination, but there seems to be a generalization that they are more likely to be so.

  4. #74
    Senior Member SciVo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    924
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    The worst descriptions I have seen are usually of Ni. Websites and experts talk of "synthesizing the paradoxical," but that can be done in so many ways and doesn't stand well on its own. I am fairly familiar with Ni, but mostly through omission of the other possible behaviors I could be involved in. I love your description though. It really captures the chance-oriented and unconscious aspect of Ni - and the metaphor is very N.
    Thank you! I figured that I'd better be the one to explain it, since Ni is bad at explaining itself, but Fi/Ne is apparently good at putting things in simple terms, and people who are high in all three seem to be extra-rare.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

  5. #75
    Senior Member Llewellyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INtj
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    The problem here is that Te and Ti (for example) are not really different functions. It's misleading to think of it that way. The best way I've thought of to conceptualize the system is that there are FOUR functions (Thinking, Feeling, Sensing, and Intuition) and an Introversion/Extroversion score for each one.

    So someone with X amount of thinking would have Y Ti and (X-Y) Te. Any two INTPs could have different X and Y values, which would mean their 8 function order would look different. (Check out my type calculator for a visual if you want.)
    I don't think there's such a thing as ambivert thinking (which your position could imply), only polyvert thinking.
    Although your type calculator is nice in its result, I find it hard to see Xi and Xe placed in a trade-off relation, as if there is a single total amount of (attitudinal) thinking.
    INtj | 9w1

  6. #76
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I disagree already.

    Most INTPs have sucky Te.
    They don't get anything done; they just sit around and dabble in theoretical pursuits.
    Please please please don't refer to Te as "getting things done"!! Te is not about doing things at all.

  7. #77
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    Please please please don't refer to Te as "getting things done"!! Te is not about doing things at all.
    My Te doesn't exactly sit on its ass eating chocolate bon bons.

  8. #78
    Pumpernickel
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    1,960

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    My Te doesn't exactly sit on its ass eating chocolate bon bons.
    MMMMmmm chocolate bon bons.

  9. #79
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,409

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by justxher View Post
    MMMMmmm chocolate bon bons.
    Merry Christmas



  10. #80
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Posts
    3,187

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    One thing that's been bothering me is that most people's cognitive functions don't really seem to fit their Myers Briggs type. While you would expect the norm to be something close to the way they're listed, I usually see a hierarchy of someone who has taken the cognitive functions test that does not fit the profile.

    For example, the list for an INTP would go:

    Ti Ne Si Fe Te Ni Se Fi

    but most INTPs have something like:

    Ti Ne Te Si Ni Se Fe Fi

    Why is that? Does the list of functions not really work? Does the test look only for preference and not ability, and if so, are they really that different? Am I just seeing a lot of outliers for some reason?
    I think you're right. The validity of MBTI, the 4 letter system of describing personality through 4 types/combinations has questionable validity. MBTI and Jung's work would be FAR more useful if they'd focus on the cognitive functions themselves and not on the construct that is the MBTI personality type. The cognitive functions seem to work VERY well for accurately describing specific and definite cognitive processes underlying overall thought patterns in individuals. It's when they try to combine the functions in the MBTI system to try and describe individual personalities that they screw up, because that theory has a lot of flaws in it. That's why the validity of MBTI is so low, because it takes the cognitive functions, makes them into something their not, and tries to stuff people in one of 16 boxes by making false presumptions on how individuals will use their cognitive functions. Unfortunately for MBTI, people can really use their cognitive functions in any number of ways that may often fit one of the 16 patterns, but not enough to give MBTI the kind of validity the scientific community expects.

    MBTI personality theory says you're supposed to use your functions in a specific order, but that fundamental assumption is wrong, obviously. Just talk to any number of forum members and you'll see that. There is quite a lot of variability in the ordering and strength of people's functions that MBTI crudely tries to gloss over.

Similar Threads

  1. Explain the cognitive functions to me
    By Colors in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
  2. MBTI and Cognitive Functions
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 06:52 AM
  3. [JCF] Leanor Thomson's Theory and INFP cognitive functions
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
  4. Cognitive Functions Test?
    By MerkW in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO