User Tag List

First 56789 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 91

  1. #61
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    Would that be more "real" like one's id, ego, or superego? That is, what do most heavy Fi-users view as being themselves? Following their desires? Having control over their behavior? I thought it would be most like someone's superego but now I'm not so sure.
    The authenticity would be much more idealistic than merely following one's desires in most cases. I would definitely say ego or superego as opposed to the id, for sure. There is certainly a streak of perfectionism in xNFPs that would never allow them to just follow their desires. However, ESFPs might be more inclined in that direction of id-fueled desire, but only if really unstable.

    I can't speak for xSFPs as much, but I know with xNFPs the Fi is driven by a personal ethical philosophy that may or may not match up to the norms of the society around them. Fi is more likely to hold on to it's "inner truth" than to compromise for the sake of the gang. Fi will fight to stand up for what it believes in if that value is threatened in any way.

  2. #62
    Senior Member SciVo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    924
    Posts
    244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    Maybe it would help if people discussed their definition or perceived purpose of each cognitive function also. I have seen countless descriptions of the functions and most of them are not really satisfactory. Specifically, Ni, Si, and Fi have always sort of intrigued me, even when I am supposedly using them.

    What would be a concise but solid description for one or more of the functions?
    Ni is a deep, dark, mysterious ocean of unconscious ideas that I dip a line into (and then turn my surface awareness to something else) when the next step isn't obvious enough for Te. I'm deeply grateful to have a Ni so full of idea-fish that I hardly ever have to wait long for a nibble, so that I'm usually effectively able to be inspired at will.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

  3. #63
    Member FlamingMask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    79

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    The authenticity would be much more idealistic than merely following one's desires in most cases. I would definitely say ego or superego as opposed to the id, for sure. There is certainly a streak of perfectionism in xNFPs that would never allow them to just follow their desires. However, ESFPs might be more inclined in that direction of id-fueled desire, but only if really unstable.

    I can't speak for xSFPs as much, but I know with xNFPs the Fi is driven by a personal ethical philosophy that may or may not match up to the norms of the society around them. Fi is more likely to hold on to it's "inner truth" than to compromise for the sake of the gang. Fi will fight to stand up for what it believes in if that value is threatened in any way.
    Of all the functions, I think Fi could be the most varied among individuals, especially if what you say is true. Everyone shares some desires, but an internal set of ethics can be easily shaped by circumstance or develop in a unlikely way. What would be the least variable then, Si - which can operate in the communal past?

    Quote Originally Posted by SciVo View Post
    Ni is a deep, dark, mysterious ocean of unconscious ideas that I dip a line into (and then turn my surface awareness to something else) when the next step isn't obvious enough for Te. I'm deeply grateful to have a Ni so full of idea-fish that I hardly ever have to wait long for a nibble, so that I'm usually effectively able to be inspired at will.
    The worst descriptions I have seen are usually of Ni. Websites and experts talk of "synthesizing the paradoxical," but that can be done in so many ways and doesn't stand well on its own. I am fairly familiar with Ni, but mostly through omission of the other possible behaviors I could be involved in. I love your description though. It really captures the chance-oriented and unconscious aspect of Ni - and the metaphor is very N.
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

    Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

    Enneagram: 5


  4. #64
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    Of all the functions, I think Fi could be the most varied among individuals, especially if what you say is true. Everyone shares some desires, but an internal set of ethics can be easily shaped by circumstance or develop in a unlikely way. What would be the least variable then, Si - which can operate in the communal past?
    Yes to both. I think Si would be the least variable and that is why SJs are often stereotyped as being conformists.

  5. #65
    Member FlamingMask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Is that why a lot of the SJs I know seem to be conservative?

    Si - Conservative?
    Ti - Libertarian?
    Fe - Liberal?

    Something like that?
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

    Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

    Enneagram: 5


  6. #66
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    (Check out my type calculator for a visual if you want.)
    Thats a pretty fancy calculator.

  7. #67
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Yes. For one thing, the way I construct posts is certainly more slapdash than say the writing I would do for school or work, etc.

    Secondly, my ex said that the way that I write comes across so differently from who I am to him IRL that it surprised him.

    It's easier, too, to achieve a persona in writing that is different from one's true self because it's more carefully constructed than just opening my mouth and saying blah blah blah, which I admittedly do a lot.


    So which one is really you?

  8. #68
    ⒺⓉⒷ Eric B's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    3,438

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlamingMask View Post
    Would that be more "real" like one's id, ego, or superego? That is, what do most heavy Fi-users view as being themselves? Following their desires? Having control over their behavior? I thought it would be most like someone's superego but now I'm not so sure.
    If you want to see those mapped to the functions, you know Socionics does attempt to do that. Each pair of functions (called a "block") corresponds to one of those. The dom. And aux. Are the "ego" block, of course. To complete four pairs, they add a fourth one called "super-id".
    I don't know how true these are to Freud's concepts, however.

    Also, if you want a more fundamental definition of the functions, there's Mark Bruzon's "Fundamental Nature of the MBTI (don't have the address right now, but I have posted the link elsewhere. It's "player2000..." something).
    That one actually helped me out.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

    Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

  9. #69
    Member FlamingMask's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    MBTI
    INTp
    Posts
    79

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric B View Post
    If you want to see those mapped to the functions, you know Socionics does attempt to do that. Each pair of functions (called a "block") corresponds to one of those. The dom. And aux. Are the "ego" block, of course. To complete four pairs, they add a fourth one called "super-id".
    I don't know how true these are to Freud's concepts, however.

    Also, if you want a more fundamental definition of the functions, there's Mark Bruzon's "Fundamental Nature of the MBTI (don't have the address right now, but I have posted the link elsewhere. It's "player2000..." something).
    That one actually helped me out.
    Well, I might steer clear of Socionics. I've got my hands full of MBTI at the moment, and it seems like Socionics and MBTI clash as much as they promote better a understanding of each other. And anyways, you've recently helped me realize that moving away from Jung is often pretty destructive, because he did know what he was talking about. I am specifically talking about the current lack of emphasis on Introversion/Extroversion.

    Thanks for the link! I found it by typing in "Fundamental Nature of the MBTI" into the search engine. For the benefit of others, here it is:
    I (89%) N (88%) T (88%) P (56%)

    Ti > Ne > Ni > Te > Si = Se > Fi > Fe

    Enneagram: 5


  10. #70
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    So which one is really you?
    Both, really. Different facets of the same person. I do occasionally feign a persona in writing, though, but not consistently.

    I'm very E/I borderline.

Similar Threads

  1. Explain the cognitive functions to me
    By Colors in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-31-2012, 10:40 PM
  2. MBTI and Cognitive Functions
    By RansomedbyFire in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 06:52 AM
  3. [JCF] Leanor Thomson's Theory and INFP cognitive functions
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-31-2007, 01:07 AM
  4. Cognitive Functions Test?
    By MerkW in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-23-2007, 04:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO