• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Why men don�t listen & why women don�t read maps

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Oh no....not more "scientific" excuses for bad male behavior....:rolli:

--------

I'm an NF woman and I scored female: 12/20.
My index finger is significantly shorter than my ring finger.

Actually women check other men out just as much - I had a research agency come and talk to me about random eye movement technology - and women are JUST as bad, doesn't excuse the behvaiour but women get caught much less.

:)

Lis

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
3/20
Male INTP

I didn't know being good at multi-tasking, good hearing, and not being a collector was feminine. :huh: I probably could have come up with a better test.

Are you serious? Most men are lousy multi taskers? The good hearing thing is a different issue. It's not that men doens't hear - they are listenting to what is in their heads on to what is being spoken (which they listen to like reading a new paper - read the first sentce and engage or not).

As for collecting thigs, I don't beleive that men do this more or less.

Actually I wonder if Men's feild of vision this is replicated in subject interest. Men seem to like to know a HUGE amount about specalist subjects - like football, bike engines, or geeky sides of subjects.....

I did some research on razors at one point and sat through a futurlogy lecture on technology - persumably men like langue that make the experience - so having a new gismo is not enough, they need to have technical descriptors. If you give a peice of new technology to a couple, the male will learn how to use it and keep that knowledge to themselves, women learn then share with the family.

Gender devides much more than anatomy.... :)

Lis

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Are you serious? Most men are lousy multi taskers? The good hearing thing is a different issue. It's not that men doens't hear - they are listenting to what is in their heads on to what is being spoken (which they listen to like reading a new paper - read the first sentce and engage or not).

As for collecting thigs, I don't beleive that men do this more or less.

Actually I wonder if Men's feild of vision this is replicated in subject interest. Men seem to like to know a HUGE amount about specalist subjects - like football, bike engines, or geeky sides of subjects.....

I did some research on razors at one point and sat through a futurlogy lecture on technology - persumably men like langue that make the experience - so having a new gismo is not enough, they need to have technical descriptors. If you give a peice of new technology to a couple, the male will learn how to use it and keep that knowledge to themselves, women learn then share with the family.

Gender devides much more than anatomy.... :)

Lis

Jeez, I don't want to be condescending, but that's a really stereotypical view of men. If I look around I can't see that many examples of these behaviors. Males won't share information with their family? Why? :huh:

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I wonder how they decide what traits are female and which ones are male. Perhaps they go by the average behavior of men and women, or maybe they've determined which behaviors are associated with testosterone and estrogen. There's nothing intrinsically gender-oriented about those hormones, though, nor does it make a lot of sense to go by common behavior when it's so heavily influenced by culture. It seems arbitrary to me, but then I suppose everything does. I got 15 out of 20, by the way, which seems a bit high to me.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Jeez, I don't want to be condescending, but that's a really stereotypical view of men. If I look around I can't see that many examples of these behaviors. Males won't share information with their family? Why? :huh:

This was taken from the primary research done with families (large sample size etc), I didn't personally condut the research - but it was being reported on by a reputable research agency.

I beleive there was something anthopological going on - the secretes of hunter gather thing....

If a man learns how to programme the DVD or Video then he takes that leanring and keeps it to himself. Women teach the kids and her partner....

L

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I wonder how they decide what traits are female and which ones are male. Perhaps they go by the average behavior of men and women, or maybe they've determined which behaviors are associated with testosterone and estrogen. There's nothing intrinsically gender-oriented about those hormones, though, nor does it make a lot of sense to go by common behavior when it's so heavily influenced by culture. It seems arbitrary to me, but then I suppose everything does. I got 15 out of 20, by the way, which seems a bit high to me.

I don't know how they get to male behaviour's v's female one.... I can take a guess it's a mixture of research techneques.

The book cites that when a man goes into the room the first thing he does is check out the exsits and logistics of the room, the first thing a woman does is check out the pairing/people's relationships in a room.

There are many common things that are gender specifc, that certainly arn't cultural. I've seen reported studies on Car accidents that support women prang, men total their cars... This isn't cultural.

I read something on human behavioral programming - that between generations various traits are handed down.... Oh yes I think it was Tipping Point (Malcom Gladwell), who said that if you're origns are more feisty - the present day generation would get into more fights, if your origns are more melow then you didn't. Something along those lines, and pretty universal is an inherant fear/dislike of snakes (which clearly loads of people overcome).

I do think a fair few are testosterone/Oestrogen related when it comes to gender specific....

An example of this is Man's fear of doctors... do you know more men die of gender specific cancers in the UK than women... I once had a go at an HR department because they offered women time of for cancer screening and not men.

L

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
7/20 (having masculine hands).

Does this mean my brain has a penis I didn't know about?

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Mm. 8/20 and male. Spidery male hands.

I'm 30, and still don't have a driver's license. When I'm behind the wheel I am unable to split my attention and become quickly overloaded. I frequently have to pull over to sort my head out.

So. None of that, if I can avoid it.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
10/20, female hands :)
I was also right in the middle in BBC brain gender test a while ago

ENTP female

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I usually either end up directly in the middle, or way skewed toward the male end, depending on how stereotypical the tests are. This one put me at 9/20, so around middle. Which makes sense, given my views on gender.

Oh, and I completely fail the index/ring finger test. My left hand is apparently male whereas my right hand is female.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Heh. I got 13/20. Female, INTP. Both hands are slightly male.

On the BBC test I think I tested as slightly male.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey BB - when I saw you'd replied I was sure you were going to ahve a male brain.... arcade games....

I don't know what gnder you actually are?

Lis

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey BB - when I saw you'd replied I was sure you were going to ahve a male brain.... arcade games....

I don't know what gnder you actually are?

Lis

Yeah, I thought I'd test as male not female - I've been mistaken for male more times than you'd think on TypoC and INTPc, given my username. At work I often get told I'm too logical/rational and need to pay attention to others' emotions blah blah blah.

And I'm female.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Hey

actually I thought male because you always seem to have cool responces... don't know just seemed sharper or more focused than women usually...

that and you kick ass on the computer games

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It's somewhat strange that even though I'm such an obsessively analytical computer geek and an often disconnected loner, I still got a higher score than everyone else here (so far).

Oh, well. I guess that means some of the stereotypes don't work... it's still weird, though. I'd somehow think people that actually have lives, energy, and are more connected to people would end up being the more feminine ones.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Hey

actually I thought male because you always seem to have cool responces... don't know just seemed sharper or more focused than women usually...

Heh. That might just be Ti. I think there's often gender confusion for INTPs online, happens a lot on INTPc (both for males and females - there doesn't seem to be many who are overtly masculine or feminine. I'm generalising here, there are of course always some exceptions.)

And thanks.

that and you kick ass on the computer games

LOL I've been mildly addicted to some of the games.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
It's somewhat strange that even though I'm such an obsessively analytical computer geek and an often disconnected loner, I still got a higher score than everyone else here (so far).

Oh, well. I guess that means some of the stereotypes don't work... it's still weird, though. I'd somehow think people that actually have lives, energy, and are more connected to people would end up being the more feminine ones.

I think NT's are unual regardless of gender. Stereotypes are generalisations, there is always outside the mainstreme and I think that alternative to main streme sits well with N's particulalrly.

I suspect NF's would have much stronger female thinking than we have on the NT thread.... I know a few NF's have replied, but if there was more of them they would score higher.

I think there are a few subjects that are more mixed gender - if you'd been a petrol head with a female brain, I think this might be more unusal. You cite being a computer geek, but are you the same type of computer geek as a male dominated brain? It may be that you are a geek in a different way (exploring it from a relationship perspective rather than purely technical).

BB - I'm jelous of your skills, there are some game I'm never going to get the hang off. Backgammon drives me nuts, Iv'e not figured out what creates a higher score.....

Lis

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
7 out of 20. One male and one female hand. Female NT