• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] The Mature/Healthy INTP

Cypocalypse

MBTI Type
eNtP
Enneagram
4w5/
After discovering myself as an INTP around two years ago, I came to a realization:

I ain't sure if this has a general scope encompassing a lot of INTPs but anyway...

A lot of INTPs could have lived in a very SJ environment. Maybe, in some cases, their family will see them as someone smart, eventually, they'll have high aspirations for that INTP person.

But then, the environment that the INTP will grow up in is more likely Te oriented (school, work, etc.). Not Ti, which pretty much defines the INTP's inherent primary asset.

Feelers (let's say, Fe oriented peeps) can easily avoid the Te environment later in life by having a developed interpersonal skills early, which can easily compensates the lack of Te (which is very demanded in the academic and the working world). A good interpersonal skill in a working environment (especially entry-level) can sometimes make up for a lack of work-extensive Te skill set.

INTPs, however, lack both Fe and Te, hence developing a sense of inadequacy, with only a strong intellectual Ti to cling to.

Eventually, some INTPs will discover MBTI and finally, for the first time in their lives, they're presented with the most 'sensible' framework for their personality.

Being able to discover and understand the framework, a young INTP can easily defend the merits of Ti. They don't need to fit into Te anymore.

I think this explains the territorial attitude in INTPc, for example. A framework has finally explained the INTP, and it has to be defended. Ti needs to be used as a rallying point.

Chances are, if you're a young INTP, and you never encountered MBTI, you'll end up grumpy. You sense something wrong with you (or the external environment), but can't exactly explain what it is. You probably know you're smart, but it doesn't do a lot.

A young INTP may rally for Ti to a certain extent (which is what we sometimes perceive as an unhealthy INTP), but is that something that can be rallied for in the long run?

There are many things that make Ne/Ti not that good as a rallying point.
1. Not a lot of sensors understand MBTI, and INTPs will continuously have a feeling of being misunderstood.
2. INTPs can't afford to be isolated to people forever because P doesn't present good work ethics that J does. At some point, there'll be forced extroversion for the INTP

What happened then, to older INTPs? What did they "mature" into? Did they develop their other cognitive skills, and are they INTPs still?

I'd basically want to know the opinion of older INTPs on this. Was there a deliberate decision to tweak your personality or is Ne/Ti a sustainable long term archetype, even i it may appear inherent?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As I grew up I developped other cognative skills alright.

I was seen as a 'wunderkind' in my earlier years (upto the age of 12). Being several years ahead of most people. But after I turned 12, I lost that aspiration to excel, and gained one to rebel. :p

Been unhealthy in my late teen years, worked myself out of it early twenties. Developped a high Fi, got a decent Se, and created a J'shell which also allows me to use Te when neccesary. Even though at times putting myself in a J state can be very tiring, depending on the work that needs to be done.

My Fe and Si seem to be lowest according to tests. The rest appears to be fairly developped.

Helios

MBTI Type
INTP
What happened then, to older INTPs? What did they "mature" into? Did they develop their other cognitive skills, and are they INTPs still?

I'd basically want to know the opinion of older INTPs on this. Was there a deliberate decision to tweak your personality or is Ne/Ti a sustainable long term archetype, even i it may appear inherent?

Though I am not a mature INTP by any stretch of the imagination, a fully mature INTP taught me guitar for about 18 months, which allowed me to make a few observations and compare his behaviour with my own.

Despite his remaining an INTP, he had learnt to construct the façade demanded by society, or rather by the Sensors of our society. This involved him engaging in what he called "extroverted introversion", which presumably meant the ability to behave in an extroverted fashion only when a social situation "required" it, light conversation ("small talk") and behaviour that suggested that he was little different from the people with whom he was interacting, despite some eccentricity which he permitted to appear.

One event in particular illustrated this well. Our lesson was about to begin, when the mother of a child he taught telephoned to talk about arrangements for her child's future lessons; unfortunately, she was quite discursive and talkative, resulting in him becoming visibly irritated at the conversation. Yet, despite this, he did not fall silent, nor lose his courteous, friendly tone. When the conversation finally ended, about a second after she had hung up, he said, far more bluntly, "Thank fuck for that"(in the knowledge that I was also an INTP).

This all contrasts with myself quite sharply. I am not only unable but unwilling to become more extroverted in situations where it is expected, "small talk" genuinely terrifies me and by most I am regarded as the "quiet weird one", though this attitude seems tinged with a quiet respect for my perceived intelligence. Perhaps a more interesting question is to ask not whether there exist INTPs who have adapted their personalities to their own benefit, but how they have achieved this.

Llewellyn

MBTI Type
INtj
Enneagram
9w1
I'm 29. So, I'm not actually replying because I would be a mature INTP. I just think it's a relevant thread. I'm only now starting to see the difficulties to fit in (if that's the right way to put it) that come with an INTP personality.

I've never known what I was seen as. I just haven't been that socially aware, or I was never told (and I often need things to be told to me). I'm basically in the dark on this. I do have problems getting my things across and get the sense that I am valued.

This period for me does have a great growth in health for me. I see it as the start of my individuation. And the first point, leading to it, is the insight that it's not all just there, it's not logical: it's meaningful. And then the health can come pretty quickly. Second thing is finding a meaningful (side-)occupation that you can always rely on (personally).

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
This is a very good thread, and I'm glad you started it. However, being fairly young I don't think I can contribute much, other than to echo your initial thoughts and take in Fluffy's and Helios' anecdotes.

I also think your diagnosis of the INTPc community is very accurate, just from casual observation. Seems very defensive and stereotype-reinforcing, almost as a way to fit in. Although I have intended to spend more time there lately.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
But I would argue that many of the strengths of Ti.. (analysis, deductive reasoning).. are highly respected in the academic/working world.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But I would argue that many of the strengths of Ti.. (analysis, deductive reasoning).. are highly respected in the academic/working world.

The problem is the road towards it. ;)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I very much agree with your thoughts in the OP.

I think I'm overall fairly balanced/mature for an INTP, but it's because of a lot of corners being knocked off of me trying to survive in a world that wanted me to be more E, more S, more F and more J. I learned how to see things from others' perspectives, even if I didn't emotionally relate, and I have learned how to interact the way people expect and are comfortable with. I still feel like an alien inside most of the time I have to do any prolonged socializing. But I can relate to Helios' anecdote about his guitar teacher. I can come across extraverted, friendly, even warm (sometimes). I can only do it for so long, though--then I revert back to observing, conserving energy, etc.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
I very much agree with your thoughts in the OP.

I think I'm overall fairly balanced/mature for an INTP, but it's because of a lot of corners being knocked off of me trying to survive in a world that wanted me to be more E, more S, more F and more J. I learned how to see things from others' perspectives, even if I didn't emotionally relate, and I have learned how to interact the way people expect and are comfortable with. I still feel like an alien inside most of the time I have to do any prolonged socializing. But I can relate to Helios' anecdote about his guitar teacher. I can come across extraverted, friendly, even warm (sometimes). I can only do it for so long, though--then I revert back to observing, conserving energy, etc.

I relate with what Tallulah said the most. Changing my mood for others isn't too hard. I can become friendly and talkative when I need to be and when my friends really expect it from me. My talkativeness seems flawed somehow as I don't really have that much to say about things I can't relate to with my friends. It's a little strange but I'm getting better at it.

This is to say that I'm also not a very introverted INTP. I'm a little more than 60% introverted. But that just makes it all the better for improving those other 40% for social ability.:yes:

Chris1973

MBTI Type
INTP

I'm about to turn 36 and in my 11th year as an attorney. I can tell you that there's a lot of truth to the statement that a large portion of success is simply showing up, and it's the very drudgery of showing up and doing all of the mundane tasks that go with every job that get us in trouble.

I'm highly intelligent and make a good initial presentation socially. In that respect I've got some good advantages, but I'm still very much an INTP.

One of the frustrations of my professional life is that because of the inconsistencies of my motivation and attention span, I've watched inferior intellects and talents move ahead of me simply because they get it done every day and I do not/cannot.

Consistency and diligence are far more important than brilliance in everyday life, and that's precisely the trade off on which we are wired backwards.