User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Default INTPs - How do you deal with procrastination/motivation issues?

I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed, but it's one that's bothering me lately. I, like I'm sure most INTPs, have a serious issue with motivation and procrastination.

When I finally realize my habits are getting really bad, what I usually try to do is make a schedule for myself and plan whatever work I need to to out in a doable fashion. This generally works for me for things like school work (when I'm successful in forcing myself to follow it, anyways), but it tends to not work so well when I apply the same method to personal projects and whatnot.

What do you guys do to help keep yourselves motivated?

MBTI
    INTP

Failure has been a great motivator, but I still find myself behind the ball. Making lists and generally maturing has been my greatest aid.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Desperation (and knowing I can't avoid the hammer that will soon smack me) is usually the most effective motivation.

However, my actual strategy is to start creating to-do lists and schedules and do my best to follow them. The goal is to put achievable mundane items on the list and just start trying to cross off as much as possible. Large vague goals get broken into tangible subgoals, then I just turn off my "big picture" sense and try to push through the items one by one. Sometimes I jump around on the list, but the goal is to cross stuff off.

Usually that gets me over the hump even if I don't mark everything off.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP

Dexedrine . Too bad it doesn't actually help with motivation tho.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Just doing it. I tell myself that I'll never be in the mood to write, so I try to force myself through the wall.

MBTI
    IsTP

I'm to the point when it is becoming quite clear to me that handling things ASAP as soon as they come up is far less draining and stressful then waiting for the last possible moment to do so.

In my case, taking care of unpleasant customers first thing in the morning, and dredging through the backorder list first so I can spend the rest of the afternoon slacking guilt-free.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

I tell myself that I'll deal with my procrastination issues later.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

To answer the question: I fail.

I think of it like this: there's some motivation threshold required for me to do shit, and all I can really do is affect the things that increase or decrease the motivation function. Once it hits the threshold, I'll do it. But most of the time, the best way I can think of to increase the function is waiting until the deadline gets closer.

MBTI
    ?
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    To answer the question: I fail.

I think of it like this: there's some motivation threshold required for me to do shit, and all I can really do is affect the things that increase or decrease the motivation function. Once it hits the threshold, I'll do it. But most of the time, the best way I can think of to increase the function is waiting until the deadline gets closer.
    I'm in agreement here. I struggle with an overwhelming sense of failure, which I like to put in the back of my mind. Here and there the urge to actually tackle the problematic task emerges, but usually once it becomes urgent (deadline). I can go pretty deep into fucking myself over if I want to. It must be some sort of pride thing.
    "Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    I'm in agreement here. I struggle with an overwhelming sense of failure, which I like to put in the back of my mind. Here and there the urge to actually tackle the problematic task emerges, but usually once it becomes urgent (deadline). I can go pretty deep into fucking myself over if I want to. It must be some sort of pride thing.
    +1
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness