User Tag List

First 456

MBTI
    intp

I don't even try to fight it anymore, I accpeted that I'll never have the motivation to live in a SJ society.

-I wake up whenever(waking up with alarm clock was hell for me)
    -eat microwave meal, plastic forks = no dishes
    online all day.

I been trying to "change" since I was a little kid. Some people weren't meant to be productive. I wouldn't want to live with schedule or chase todo list. Life suck and you die.

A window to the soul

Quote Originally Posted by bcubchgo View Post
    perceivers want everything to be fun. well you know what? Hard work isn't fun! It takes blood sweat and tears sometimes. I wish everything was wine and roses but I wouldn't want to smell like a floral arrangement if I were drunk!!!! anyway. set goals. Do them. Set fun goals. Do them. Rinse and repeat...

Success!
    The cold, hard truth. Ur funny.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What motivates me is knowing that the consequences for not doing the task will be far more unpleasant than the task itself.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

This is the way I think of think of things:

In addition to the circumstances, every person also has to deal with the unconscious/subconscious self.

Every person's subconscious is different. So what works for one person may not work for others.

Ultimately, I have to observe what my subconscious likes to do and what it does not. After that, it is sort of a negotiating game. What does my subconscious value, and will what I want done serve that? Link what I want done to what I value, and hopefully the message gets through.

I think, and there is science to back this up, what shows up in consciousness, is actually a sort of gestalt of often competing impulses. If you are someone whose impulses are all well aligned, I envy you. But I think most people have many competing impulses, and what shows up as conscious thought is just a small subset of what a person is actually thinking.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Kasper View Post
    UGH. i hate topics like this.

SET GOALS. ACCOMPLISH THEM. IT'S THAT EASY.

when you accomplish your goals you gain a greater sense of self-worth. set baby goals if you have to. it's not that hard.
    Typical J response. Set goals and accomplish them, sure, if your motivation is gained from completing them then it is easy. But not everyone gains a greater sense of self-worth (or even satisfaction) through accomplishing goals.

I get almost no sense of self-worth from accomplishing goals. Zero. I just don't care. Once one thing is done, I'm focusing on (or more likely, contemplating) the next. If anything, once a "goal" is complete, I feel bad because I see ways that I could have done a better job, been more thorough, if I'd had more time. I feel post-rushed and the lack of perfection nibbles at my fear of failure.

Quote Originally Posted by SuchIrony View Post
    What motivates me is knowing that the consequences for not doing the task will be far more unpleasant than the task itself.
    Yes. This is about it for me, too. At some point, not doing something, but knowing that I have to, generates more worry and anxiety than the unpleasantness of the task. At least when doing it, I can focus on *doing* and the worry and anxiety fades.

Of course, at this very moment I am procrastinating by posting on this forum instead of doing Christmas shopping (ugh) online. So take that for what you will...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

well you know what? Hard work isn't fun!
    Work is fun if you love what you do. Been there. Done it.
    I've always been fond of what Warren Beatty once said:

"You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you're doing is work or play.”

MBTI
    INTP

I'm reading the book,The Seven Habits of Highly effective people by Stephen Covey. It deals with the underlying principals of time management. Very Good. (I Hate these time management books that make you feel driven). The chapter on how prioritize your time is very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendy Banks View Post
    I'm reading the book,The Seven Habits of Highly effective people by Stephen Covey. It deals with the underlying principals of time management. Very Good. (I Hate these time management books that make you feel driven). The chapter on how prioritize your time is very good.
    Funny you should mention Covey. I think what most people procrastinate on are the quadrant II and IV stuff (precisely because they are not urgent). But separating quadrant II (Important though not urgent) from quadrant IV (not urgent AND not important) is a great life skill. Also, separating quadrant I (important and urgent) from quadrant III (urgent but not important) is a huge release of stress.

Maximizing quadrant II time can actually be a very enjoyable experience. Somehow the whole issue of procrastination just doesn't show up when doing things I truly think are important (rather than thing that I "should" think are important).

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by The Decline View Post
    I tell myself that I'll deal with my procrastination issues later.
    This, basically.

I get things done... After deliberating for days/hours.