• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] INTPs - How do you deal with procrastination/motivation issues?

yupyupyup

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I have HUGE HUGE procrastination issues. Like it literally ruins my life and makes me very depressed. One method that worked for me was to literally not think! I know that's really hard to do for an INTP, but i noticed it's really thinking so much about what you're going to do beforehand that keeps you from doing it because you know it will be work. Before I do a task (i usually have a very long list) I clear my mind and just go and do it. I dont allow ANY thoughts to enter my mind about how of what it will be like doing. I keep it blank and just go and start.
I did this for a week and it felt really good and i got a lot done! But the truth is it's hard to keep up because it really made me feel weird and out of character (to not be constantly analyzing everything)

targus28

Im a INTP, a method that works great for me is

1:The 48 min rule-Set a timer on your phone/whatever for 48 mins, do 1 task and dont stop till the 48 mins is up.When it is take a 12 min break, watch some tv, read a mag, relax, then start again

2: Exercise (VERY IMPORTANT),esp for intps, just run round a park for 10 min every day if you can, it gives you a push of energy behind you for the rest of the day and releases good chemicals into your brain that make you feel better :) If you cant do it every day, thats fine, every 3 days, 4 whatever...its the habit that counts in the early stage....its been shown that even 10 min of exercise a day is really great for you...and the benifits last for 2 days! so you can do it one day, leave it 2...and do it again..whatever

3:To do lists

Mine atm is set out like so.......

Things i need do better with:

Seeing people and going out,keeping contact with people
Job searching
Money management
Getting up early
Health Care

Critical Now -

Opportunity Now zone - (pending within the next 1-2 weeks)

TNG with carol
Sort XP, Computer
backup
remote sockets back

Over the Horizon list - Over 2 Weeks

Podcast

If any of these resonate with you in any way whilst reading it, give it a go...it will prob work for you

amthcaictm

MBTI Type
intp
but why the$%&**$##$%% why? i assume failure from the start, know that that failure will most likely not be recognized by others and that failure will have little real world consequence---so what exactly is at the root of my fear? is it really just my own disapproval? I already have that. how can failure at a given task make that worse. I really wish someone could unpack the emotional causes...

A

A window to the soul

How to deal with procrastination/motivation issues? Jump-start motivation with exercise. It will improve your mood by decreasing stress hormones and increasing endorphins. :)

On a side note, I can't think of anything more motivating than hearing someone say "it's impossible, it can't be done."

amthcaictm

MBTI Type
intp
How to deal with procrastination/motivation issues? Jump-start motivation with exercise. It will improve your mood by decreasing stress hormones and increasing endorphins. :)

On a side note, I can't think of anything more motivating than hearing someone say "it's impossible, it can't be done."
these tech work for my entp friend
not sure how many intps feel jazzed after exercise---maybe after aexercise---maybe good sci first flick???
and we would prob just argue for or against the prob of something being accomplished, get bogged down in determining evaluation criteria or the inherent or applied value of the project and then wonder of. might work for an intj.....

bcubchgo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
UGH. i hate topics like this.

SET GOALS. ACCOMPLISH THEM. IT'S THAT EASY.

when you accomplish your goals you gain a greater sense of self-worth. set baby goals if you have to. it's not that hard.

amthcaictm

MBTI Type
intp

when you accomplish your goals you gain a greater sense of self-worth. set baby goals if you have to. it's not that hard.

hahahaha
can I borrow your brain for a few days?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

Typical J response. Set goals and accomplish them, sure, if your motivation is gained from completing them then it is easy. But not everyone gains a greater sense of self-worth (or even satisfaction) through accomplishing goals.

bcubchgo

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
perceivers want everything to be fun. well you know what? Hard work isn't fun! It takes blood sweat and tears sometimes. I wish everything was wine and roses but I wouldn't want to smell like a floral arrangement if I were drunk!!!! anyway. set goals. Do them. Set fun goals. Do them. Rinse and repeat...

Success!

think2much

MBTI Type
intp
I don't even try to fight it anymore, I accpeted that I'll never have the motivation to live in a SJ society.

-I wake up whenever(waking up with alarm clock was hell for me)
-eat microwave meal, plastic forks = no dishes
online all day.

I been trying to "change" since I was a little kid. Some people weren't meant to be productive. I wouldn't want to live with schedule or chase todo list. Life suck and you die.

A

A window to the soul

perceivers want everything to be fun. well you know what? Hard work isn't fun! It takes blood sweat and tears sometimes. I wish everything was wine and roses but I wouldn't want to smell like a floral arrangement if I were drunk!!!! anyway. set goals. Do them. Set fun goals. Do them. Rinse and repeat...

Success!

The cold, hard truth. Ur funny. :)

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
What motivates me is knowing that the consequences for not doing the task will be far more unpleasant than the task itself.

ygolo

My termites win
This is the way I think of think of things:

In addition to the circumstances, every person also has to deal with the unconscious/subconscious self.

Every person's subconscious is different. So what works for one person may not work for others.

Ultimately, I have to observe what my subconscious likes to do and what it does not. After that, it is sort of a negotiating game. What does my subconscious value, and will what I want done serve that? Link what I want done to what I value, and hopefully the message gets through.

I think, and there is science to back this up, what shows up in consciousness, is actually a sort of gestalt of often competing impulses. If you are someone whose impulses are all well aligned, I envy you. But I think most people have many competing impulses, and what shows up as conscious thought is just a small subset of what a person is actually thinking.

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP

Typical J response. Set goals and accomplish them, sure, if your motivation is gained from completing them then it is easy. But not everyone gains a greater sense of self-worth (or even satisfaction) through accomplishing goals.
:solidarity:
I get almost no sense of self-worth from accomplishing goals. Zero. I just don't care. Once one thing is done, I'm focusing on (or more likely, contemplating) the next. If anything, once a "goal" is complete, I feel bad because I see ways that I could have done a better job, been more thorough, if I'd had more time. I feel post-rushed and the lack of perfection nibbles at my fear of failure.

What motivates me is knowing that the consequences for not doing the task will be far more unpleasant than the task itself.
Yes. This is about it for me, too. At some point, not doing something, but knowing that I have to, generates more worry and anxiety than the unpleasantness of the task. At least when doing it, I can focus on *doing* and the worry and anxiety fades.

Of course, at this very moment I am procrastinating by posting on this forum instead of doing Christmas shopping (ugh) online. So take that for what you will...

Jaguar

well you know what? Hard work isn't fun!

Work is fun if you love what you do. Been there. Done it.
I've always been fond of what Warren Beatty once said:

"You've achieved success in your field when you don't know whether what you're doing is work or play.”

Wendy Banks

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm reading the book,The Seven Habits of Highly effective people by Stephen Covey. It deals with the underlying principals of time management. Very Good. (I Hate these time management books that make you feel driven). The chapter on how prioritize your time is very good. :)

ygolo

My termites win
I'm reading the book,The Seven Habits of Highly effective people by Stephen Covey. It deals with the underlying principals of time management. Very Good. (I Hate these time management books that make you feel driven). The chapter on how prioritize your time is very good. :)

Funny you should mention Covey. I think what most people procrastinate on are the quadrant II and IV stuff (precisely because they are not urgent). But separating quadrant II (Important though not urgent) from quadrant IV (not urgent AND not important) is a great life skill. Also, separating quadrant I (important and urgent) from quadrant III (urgent but not important) is a huge release of stress.

Maximizing quadrant II time can actually be a very enjoyable experience. Somehow the whole issue of procrastination just doesn't show up when doing things I truly think are important (rather than thing that I "should" think are important).