5w4

"Stop it, you fuck. Give him some butter."
    Ti
    = Ne > Ni > Fi > Te > Se > Fe > Si INTP (I/PNT) 5w4

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

That's hilarious. Hilarious because of how true it is.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Wow I literally just went through that process in the last hour!
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Lol, that picture.

It all makes so much sense it's scary.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    IsTP

Lists have helped me efficiently organize things that I'll still put off. Usually I'll make a list, have enough motivation to do the first item on it and then take the rest of the day off because I earned it.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed, but it's one that's bothering me lately. I, like I'm sure most INTPs, have a serious issue with motivation and procrastination.

When I finally realize my habits are getting really bad, what I usually try to do is make a schedule for myself and plan whatever work I need to to out in a doable fashion. This generally works for me for things like school work (when I'm successful in forcing myself to follow it, anyways), but it tends to not work so well when I apply the same method to personal projects and whatnot.

What do you guys do to help keep yourselves motivated?
    I don't know if this is just an INTP problem so much as an NP problem. Sometimes, I have terrible issues with motivation and tend to procrastinate a lot. It's the reverse for me, though. I can really delve into personal projects. Work and work with something I'm really passionate about, but school work, if I'm not interested or it doesn't have much meaning in the overall scope of my life, is the most difficult thing to be motivated about.

The only thing I can advise is looking at how it, whatever you're holding off, will benefit you in the end. School work can have sereval motivations (getting into a good undergraduate/graduate school, academic honors, general knowledge), and personal projects to me just have appeal. I wouldn't know how to get motivated about something I naturally enjoy.

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I have to make a schedule and plan things ahead of time to get things done. I often leave little notes all over the place to remind me, because I forget a lot of the time or get distracted.
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't know if this is just an INTP problem so much as an NP problem. Sometimes, I have terrible issues with motivation and tend to procrastinate a lot. It's the reverse for me, though. I can really delve into personal projects. Work and work with something I'm really passionate about, but school work, if I'm not interested or it doesn't have much meaning in the overall scope of my life, is the most difficult thing to be motivated about.
    I'd say its an NP problem. I don't know if it afflicts the SPs as much, because they 'live in the world of action' (as oft repeated by type descriptions) - at least, maybe the SPs just don't care (?) If they want to do something, they do it; if they don't, they don't. Simple as that. No half-assed procrastination issues? (somebody correct me if im wrong!)

I think NPs invented procrastination.
    No one does it better.

But for each NP, the reason is different.

INTPs - get bogged down by self-esteem issues, fear of failure, need for accuracy (slow process of checking all details)
    ENTPs - get caught up in trying so many different approaches, interested in the innovative process but not the maintenance of it
    ENFPs - get distracted, lose focus, try to handle 1001 things at the same time. (which is how an ENFP functions. its okay ENFPs, we love you.)
    INFPs - perfectionistic, need for perfection hampers their actions

In my experience, the first step is the hardest. GET THE BALL ROLLING, NPS!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

I think about it untill its too late to do it enymore.
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    INTp

Quote Originally Posted by Eris View Post
    I'm sorry if this topic has been discussed, but it's one that's bothering me lately. I, like I'm sure most INTPs, have a serious issue with motivation and procrastination.

When I finally realize my habits are getting really bad, what I usually try to do is make a schedule for myself and plan whatever work I need to to out in a doable fashion. This generally works for me for things like school work (when I'm successful in forcing myself to follow it, anyways), but it tends to not work so well when I apply the same method to personal projects and whatnot.

What do you guys do to help keep yourselves motivated?
    After thinking about it, I didn't have any good answers myself. After some research, I have found something called Cognitive Emotive Narrative Therapy or CENT. This is based off of Albert Elli's REBT and ABC model which I have been aware of for a while.

What is Cognitive Emotive Narrative Therapy (CENT)?

[YOUTUBE="crbBjYT2BZU"]procrastination CENT part 1[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="z-o5gU0l4rQ"]procrastination CENT part 2[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="cxDhlIiJq2g"]procrastination CENT part 3[/YOUTUBE]

The basic idea in REBT is to change the beliefs about things, and in CENT it's about how you frame procrastination. REBT is essentially a practical form of a quote from Epictetus's Enchiridion

What upsets people is not things themselves but their judgments about the things. For example, "death is nothing dreadful (or else it would have appeared dreadful to Socrates)..."
    -- Chapter Five of the Handbook[1].

The ABC model goes something like this

A (activating event) - I don't want to study
    B (beliefs) - If I study, I'll fail anyway
    C (consequences) - Poor grades

While the activating events can almost never be changed (it's in the past), the beliefs are what mitigates the perception of that event that leads to the consequences. By changing the beliefs, it alters the consequences. There are techniques the extend this as well.

While it sounds too simplistic, in practice it's not. Our beliefs are generally unconscious and true ones are buried deep within. Whether unconsciousness can be brought into consciousness is another debate. So you keep doing this ABC until you arrive at some truth.

It's also easy for the novice to use this method improperly because there are ways that it can go awry. I encourage you to look more into REBT / CENT for procrastination and for general life issues as they happen.

Here's a great overview/intro to REBT

http://www.rational.org.nz/prof/docs/Intro-REBT.pdf