• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?

Spry

MBTI Type
infj
Also, please state if you are a male or female.

1. I'm trying to figure out how much it would take for you all to be reduced to tears. Unrequited love? A death?

2. Would you say you feel more sadness/sorrow over personal or global issues?

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in comprehending sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in responding to sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

You're a generally optimistic bunch of people, so please, do tell.

Last edited:

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

1. I'm trying to figure out how much it would take for you all to be reduced to tears. Unrequited love? A death?

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are?

death didnt phase me as much as the turmoil it put my parents in. i let 2 tears leak for the benefit of the audience but other than that...guess i think of it as a natural and inevitable step of life

unrequited love didnt make me cry...it made me feel frustrated cuz i could see the potential of the relationship that she just couldn't

i am 'sensitive' in that i am able to comprehend people, intentions, and emotions readily. i usually end up with a very high score on those EQ quizzes...yeah, the one with 300 questions too; that one scored me at 135.
my response to people usually never involves crying. if i were to cry, im pretty sure it would have to be when i am alone and it would be at and because of my own actions.

one unexplainable thing that clips my heart is homeless people asking for change...i got no clue why. more often that not, i end up saying no to them but i still feel it...still dont make me cry

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
You didn't say what was the least and most sensitive on that 10 scale.

Spry

MBTI Type
infj
mean

[Thatgirl] You're my Dads personality type [ENTJ]. He's really cold and can't comprehend how people can see things differently to him but we have a laugh every now and then so it's all good. He's always orgazinizing, are you entjs obsessed with planners/orgainizing/getting things done/to do lists?

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most of the time it's because a piece of music really strikes me in the right way.

The last time I cried over anything else was probably some nasty argument with ESFJ mother years ago.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are?

Female

I cry sometimes when my hopes are completely dashed, especially because I can be so optimistic. If there's a still a chance, I can think "Just keep trying! Try something else!" But when reality completely erodes a possibility I've been struggling for ... tears.

Rejection can make me cry, but that depends on who is doing the rejecting.

I also cry over books and movies and music.

I don't feel sadness over global issues. I think about them. People have always hurt each other. Tyrants have always risen to power. And so on. It seems like a waste of an emotion to be sad about something that's always been true about humanity. My responsibility as one of many is to enjoy my life, help others when I'm able to help others, and not add to anyone's suffering without reason.

How sensitive am I? I'm not sure how to answer the question, because I don't know how sensitive other people are. How can I compare?

The people I know would not say I'm insensitive. They would say I can be detached. But I'm not always detached.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Female

1. I used to cry when I got angry. Thankfully I found better ways to deal with that. I cried in public once when my cat of 18 years died. I cry out of complete and total frustration over situations where I've exhausted every possible potential resolution. Rejection only makes me cry depending on how well the person knew me. Someone I just met, I wouldn't give a second though to. Being rejected by someone who has known me for years would hurt like hell.

2. Hmmmm good question. I need to think on this one, but off the top of my head I'd say both equally. But sadness/sorrow isn't really something I do for more than maybe 12 hours.

3. On your scale is 0 an android and 10 an exposed dental nerve? If so I'd place myself at around a 5. I only score myself that high because I at least know what situations people expect me to be sensitive about, so even if I'm not *feeling* I can at least appreciate that others might be and not make it worse for them by saying something that could be interpreted as callous or offensive.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
[Thatgirl] You're my Dads personality type [ENTJ]. He's really cold and can't comprehend how people can see things differently to him but we have a laugh every now and then so it's all good. He's always orgazinizing, are you entjs obsessed with planners/orgainizing/getting things done/to do lists?

ThatGirl can't answer right now because she's very busy planning her response and organizing her thoughts and getting her post done so she can cross that off of her list of things to do.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
Wow that's really weird, I was thinking of making a thread with this same subject. Anyways...

The last time I legitimately cried was around 10 years old. Maybe I just hold in my sadness well, but I just don't cry much. I get teary eyed occasionally, but almost never full-out bawl into tears. Death is what usually gets to me the most, that and losing people in-general.

Personal. Global issues anger me, but never make me sad.

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in comprehending sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in responding to sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

Fiver

MBTI Type
ENTP
Tears? Because I'm perceived as a strong person, sometimes other people assume I can't be hurt and put no filter on what they say or do and will be very hurtful. Usually it's the same people who complain about how insensitive I am. Go figure. Cry about it? Only if it's the day before my period. Maybe a tear jerker movie, too.

World issues? Think about them and care about them but my heartstrings wouldn't even be tweaked in that way. I'm the opposite of a bleeding heart.

Not so sensitive. Taking offense to what other people say and do seems weak to me. Being aware of how other people are affected by me and other things seems like a strong, good quality; but I am not so good at that. I try to get other people to help me with reading and understanding other people's reactions.

Venom

Babylon Candle
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

ur dad sounds more like an eStj...

i swear that other than ENTJs.....no one has a fucking clue what they look like! :D

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
ENTPs do cry, just like any other human being.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
ENTPs tears cure cancer. Too bad ENTPs never cry.

Qre:us

Female, although quite a few don't seem convinced. :dry:

I cry out of complete and total frustration over situations where I've exhausted every possible potential resolution.

I cry sometimes when my hopes are completely dashed, especially because I can be so optimistic. If there's a still a chance, I can think "Just keep trying! Try something else!" But when reality completely erodes a possibility I've been struggling for ... tears.
^ That, and then, I lock myself in a room and scream and bawl. Gut-wrenching tears. Same with death of a close loved one (including pets), even though these don't hit me right away but after a time, and at random triggers some time after.

I also cry over books and movies and music.

My crying over books, movies and music has to be if the pieces are well-crafted. I generally do not cry in movies where most of my other friends do; if anything, I've been known to laugh at those 'pivotal' scenes, most don't make it past my 'cheese' factor, but if they do...lone drops may escape, but mostly watery eyes...:cry: My friends hated taking me to see The Notebook. :doh: (but then again, I could smell the plot from a mile away in such films, thus, 'prepared')

When I was a kid, I cried over rejection but I don't think I've cried over rejection by another as an adult...mostly because I've never not seen it coming. I am aware of when/how my relations (close enough to induce emotiono-meter) will act/react. So, there's no tears when it does happen as I am 'prepared' for it. And finally, those that I've been close enough to induce that emotiono-meter have never truly rejected me, ever. They're all still in my life.

I.e., very few things blind-sight me in life, cuz I am usually pretty good at foreseeing them coming, or rolling with the punches. I think being unprepared (mentally) would catch me off guard enough to cry, which doesn't happen to often.

Most definitely the latter. I feel a tightness and a jolt of physical pain/sorrow through my body when I see animals being abused, neglected, mistreated, especially. It's a toss-up between extreme sorrow and rage, both vying for dominance within me. It's quite the visceral reaction. Oh, and also children, and vulnerable populations (like the physically, mentally, intellectually diabled). War atrocities also induce that same real visceral reaction of palpable sorrow and anger. I can and might cry when faced with any of these above, but, it's more of a watery eye than any tears streaming, and definitely not bawling. If someone close to me gets hurt, I also feel a tightness in my body, as if I'm swallowing their pain, like my mom buring her hand accidently while cooking. It's very tangible, the sympathy (empathy?) pain I feel.

I'm very empathetic to nature and anything to do with it - a weird oddity of mine. Like, I feel constricted, helpless and anxious if I know that my roommate had forgot to turn off the light in her room when she left for work, and that's just electricity being wasted...for nothing. (and I don't even pay the electricity bill as it's included in the fixed rent, she does) Initially, I had this huge inner battle with going in to turn off her light versus invasion of her privacy, but the former won out, and I spoke to her about it later. I'm a firm believer in not taking anything/buying anything/any resource more than you will use, and I try to live by that. I'm so weird sometimes. :dont:

On the flip side, I rarely feel sadness over my personal emotions, as I don't often have complete access to fully understanding them; I always jump to rationalizing them, which supresses the actual feeling of said emotion. I'm hoping to work on this, though.

8-9

As soon as I start to understand, to its deepest level, that very understanding in its clarity makes my responding very detached, it's more action-oriented, like, 'okay, this is how you feel, now what to do with it'. So I don't always respond to the required depth [of what the other may expect] as sometimes, in hindsight, I know the others just wanted me to do nothing, just offer sympathy, which I'm not very good at. It's hard for me to just 'be' without offering some sort of rationalization or action to remedy the situation.

Thank you for asking. :)

Btw, I'm trying to recall the last time I cried, even got watery eyed, and I can't....wait, no, I got watery eyed 2 weeks ago, watching a documentary on sharks, and human atrocities on them, called Sharkwater

LucrativeSid

Male.
1. Probably not even death anymore, but maybe.
2. Personal.
3. 8
4. 2

And to answer the question in the title, I don't think I've cried since I was about 11. (I'm 24 now.) I have been a bit teary eyed a few times, but this only happens when I ruminate on something intentionally. To me, getting teary eyed is what happens when I intentionally lose myself in a fantasy... not what happens when I let my mind run its course naturally.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm male.

I usually have one really good cry every year or two. Something will just set me off at random and then I'll have to go somewhere privately to let it all out. There is no way to know what will set me off either. Often it is something I read, or music, or a movie or something, but I usually do not directly relate to the music/movie thing. There is just something about it that sets me off and I have to cry.

I think what is happening is that I just slowly accumulate stress and anxiety over time and then when it builds up to a certain point I need to have a good cry to let it all out. There is something about this process that makes me think there is a lot of junk buried down deep that I want to deal with, but I don't have any idea how to access it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
<- La Chick.

Tears? Quite a lot most of the time, then again, sometimes virtually nothing.

Stress mixed with emotion drama and confusion is usually what would bring me to tears about something personal, that's a rare thing. Meanwhile a deep emotional movie can cause me to sniffle quite easily, seriously how can someone watch something like Hotel Rwanda without balling?! :huh:

Sorrow? Don't really do sorrow. Global issues would have more of a negative effect though, on a personal level I have total control and I'm generally too optimistic to let things bring me down, globally there's much needless sorrow in other people's lives that is well beyond my control. Hopelessness brings sadness.

If I'm paying attention then pretty good, I can read moods well. The paying attention part is highly questionable though.

In other people? A little shitty. I'd usually rather not.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP

I cry fairly often, lifes frustrations, feeling hurt/humiliated, death not so much even when I should, sometimes the grief is deeper than tears. Music, TV movies, actually I've cried at the ballet and opera, but never over a paintings.... :) Beauty can make me cry too. Sentiment - actually there is an old episode of Sex in the city that I cry like a baby over (the one where Harry Poposes to Charlot)

Personal, unless it's something horrific

Do I understanding sadness? Mine or other peoples? I understand how to feel sad and the impact that can have... strange phrasing of the question so I'll say 8

Mine or others? I am sensitive to both, but don't nessesarily need to cry about it.

L