• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
So, in short, it is what people call 'bottling up', even if it is completely unintentional.

Exactly. I have noticed for example that in times of great emotional stress there have been occasions where I would feel these feelings bottled up and I felt like they had to come out because I could not deal with the feeling of internal, unresolved pressure.

In the past, I have resolved this by punching things, getting into fights, or even by punching myself in the leg, so that I could feel something. But, I think this bottling up is dangerous and can lead to a numbness that could make one suicidal. The question is not, "Will I feel pain?", but "How and in what measure will I feel pain?". We suppress the daily pains and hurts at great personal risk because it will come out. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually and maybe explosively. Then the lie of emotional control will be in full view.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I understand that logically, but I don't feel "bottled up". I just release tensions in a different way. Tennis, running, writing, whatever... I would like to be able to ride a feeling though. Next time I feel the urge, I'll try what you suggested Syn.

You may have noticed that I post a lot less recently. A lot of this is because I have calmed down somewhat. I seem to post less when I am less manic. Much of this calmness is the result of letting things happen to me. Letting myself feel the bad feelings as well as the usual good feelings I have always chased. I make it a little game. Like, "Oh, that was an unpleasant thought. Where does it come from? Why does it hurt like that?"

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
You may have noticed that I post a lot less recently. A lot of this is because I have calmed down somewhat. I seem to post less when I am less manic. Much of this calmness is the result of letting things happen to me. Letting myself feel the bad feelings as well as the usual good feelings I have always chased. I make it a little game. Like, "Oh, that was an unpleasant thought. Where does it come from? Why does it hurt like that?"

Yes, I have noticed your absence.
Very interesting post, Syn. I need to think about this for a while.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Exactly. I have noticed for example that in times of great emotional stress there have been occasions where I would feel these feelings bottled up and I felt like they had to come out because I could not deal with the feeling of internal, unresolved pressure.

In the past, I have resolved this by punching things, getting into fights, or even by punching myself in the leg, so that I could feel something. But, I think this bottling up is dangerous and can lead to a numbness that could make one suicidal. The question is not, "Will I feel pain?", but "How and in what measure will I feel pain?". We suppress the daily pains and hurts at great personal risk because it will come out. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but eventually and maybe explosively. Then the lie of emotional control will be in full view.

I need to make sure that I try to acknowledge the pain. In the long run, it looks considerably more healthy. I am typically a person who is always on the edge, of anything. People think I am nuts for it.

So I have to figure out the proper measurements of pain, and how to handle it. This will be interesting the next time such a need occurs. It will be trying to open myself vs my self analysis. I analyze everything. I never slow down.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
It's good that you are able to recognize all this so early in life, Antimony.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's good that you are able to recognize all this so early in life, Antimony.

I try to keep myself open. If I closed myself to anything and everything, I would have no room for growth. Above all else, I must never be a step behind.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I need to make sure that I try to acknowledge the pain. In the long run, it looks considerably more healthy. I am typically a person who is always on the edge, of anything. People think I am nuts for it.

So I have to figure out the proper measurements of pain, and how to handle it. This will be interesting the next time such a need occurs. It will be trying to open myself vs my self analysis. I analyze everything. I never slow down.

People think the same thing about me, especially when I am on edge and manic.

Analysis is a way of keeping something at arm's length. And like you said, you never slow down. I do the same thing. Slowing down means that unbidden thoughts creep in. These are typically negative feelings as this is part of our inferior function (Fi), if I am not mistaken. Inferior functions tend to be more negative as they are less under our conscious control. But, this never slowing down is a flight from the voice inside. As soon as I saw that, I started listening better. And the more I listened, the more I became friends with it. Even if it seemed big and dark and scary at first.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I try to keep myself open. If I closed myself to anything and everything, I would have no room for growth. Above all else, I must never be a step behind.

Yes, yes I know all that - we're all the same that way. But I mean having the opportunity to even learn about all of this. I am open to all things but there was no wealth of internet resources even 10 years ago, so I literally had no idea.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, yes I know all that - we're all the same that way. But I mean having the opportunity to even learn about all of this. I am open to all things but there was no wealth of internet resources even 10 years ago, so I literally had no idea.

I believe in this idea that we cannot really hear something until we're ready to hear it. So, to me, we can't hear what we need until we're ready and tired of being the other way.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I believe in this idea that we cannot really hear something until we're ready to hear it. So, to me, we can't hear what we need until we're ready and tired of being the other way.

Possibly, but not everything in life is that mystical. Sometimes, information is simply not available. But I get what you are saying.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Possibly, but not everything in life is that mystical. Sometimes, information is simply not available. But I get what you are saying.

It is not mystical. It's just the recognition that you must be mentally receptive to a particular concept. It's similar to how when you learn a new word you see it everywhere. We are ready for ideas and then we notice them. Truth is, they were always there. Though, I agree with your general point.

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
People think the same thing about me, especially when I am on edge and manic.

Analysis is a way of keeping something at arm's length. And like you said, you never slow down. I do the same thing. Slowing down means that unbidden thoughts creep in. These are typically negative feelings as this is part of our inferior function (Fi), if I am not mistaken. Inferior functions tend to be more negative as they are less under our conscious control. But, this never slowing down is a flight from the voice inside. As soon as I saw that, I started listening better. And the more I listened, the more I became friends with it. Even if it seemed big and dark and scary at first.

I can't help it. I was sitting in bed last night trying to stop thinking, to stop analyzing everything that comes into view. I realized that everything I experience or see I must break it down. As soon as I slowed my mind, I realized how fast paced my mind had been moving. I slept better last night than I have in months.

I dislike the negative. I am a very happy, outgoing, and optimistic person, as the OP stated we tend to be. I dislike it very much when the negative comes. It seems to be magnified.

I will probably start routinely slowing my mind down at night, that way I can give my mind a break and be able to handle what comes at me they way it should be handled.

I might start posting less on here :D

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
I can't help it. I was sitting in bed last night trying to stop thinking, to stop analyzing everything that comes into view. I realized that everything I experience or see I must break it down. As soon as I slowed my mind, I realized how fast paced my mind had been moving. I slept better last night than I have in months.

I dislike the negative. I am a very happy, outgoing, and optimistic person, as the OP stated we tend to be. I dislike it very much when the negative comes. It seems to be magnified.

I will probably start routinely slowing my mind down at night, that way I can give my mind a break and be able to handle what comes at me they way it should be handled.

I might start posting less on here :D

Well, no one LIKES the negative. But, it is part of things. It's like eating your veggies before ice cream. I've always been of the "ice cream first then whine until they don't make me eat the veggies" school.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
See, agreement thats the problem, you need more booze !

Antimony

You're fired. Lol.
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, no one LIKES the negative. But, it is part of things. It's like eating your veggies before ice cream. I've always been of the "ice cream first then whine until they don't make me eat the veggies" school.

I know no one likes the negative, except for the masochistic ones, but it just seems to be something I try to keep more at bay than most people.

And I love veggies!

We need to get some disagreement over here. I am starting to feel sick.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
See, agreement thats the problem, you need more booze !

I've mostly quit drinking. I used to drink and smoke when I went out on the weekends. It made me feel like shit later no matter how much I loved it. I've cut down on the caffeine (switched to decaf and decaf tea) and it's helped a lot, too. I didn't realize how much I was taking in until I stopped and thought about it.

2 cups in the morning, a couple cokes during lunch, a cup of coffee in the afternoon, and maybe a cup of tea or a couple of glasses of tea after work.