• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs, how often do you cry, [if ever] and why?

Valuable_Money

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w6
When I was about 9 years old.

When I found out my mom won custody of me and my dad didnt get any visitation.
She also got the house so he had to move in with some relatives far away.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Why do people always ask this question? What is it about ENTPs and crying?

That being said, I don't cry often and the last time I cried was when I faced a personal challenge/phobia dead in the eye. I had a legitimate (irrational) fear. This was a few years ago. I cried because I knew I had won, and it was a stress relief and it was quote emotional.

I didn't cry when my brothers died, or when my best friend died, or when another close friend died. But I do have feelings. I feel sad mostly for, or on the behalf of, other people though.

I got all wobbly the other day during a misunderstanding with a friend, and felt like I could cry, but it didn't end up happening.

I don't understand the last 2 questions.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, please state if you are a male or female.

1. I'm trying to figure out how much it would take for you all to be reduced to tears. Unrequited love? A death?

2. Would you say you feel more sadness/sorrow over personal or global issues?

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in comprehending sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in responding to sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

You're a generally optimistic bunch of people, so please, do tell.

1. Neither have been able to get tears out of me.

2. Both. I just don't express sadness with tears. I can't, and don't know why.

3. Pretty sensitive. Just because I don't feel it as well like an empath, doesn't mean I'm not aware and don't sympathize. I think a lot of other people though are quite bad at it, because they rely on tears being the most obvious sign. To me, it seems tears are as often a sign of mere tantrum/temper/bruised pride as they are of actual sadness or sorrow. I've felt sad enough in my life that I've prayed for an early death, yet people have not noticed it and carried on describing me as cheerful and always happy. Because I don't cry.

4. Reasonably sensisitve. I might not respond as expected or desired, but I respond as I think most appropriate and constructive. It's not likely to involve a lot of hugging and stuff, but again, I think that people who say they are very caring can be often very critical of those they perceive as uncaring, when in fact it's just they who are unperceptive and not noticing that care is coming their way from that person, in their own way.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
... and felt like I could cry, but it didn't end up happening.

Yeah I get this too. It's as though the moment I realize I feel like it, I can't do it. If I did, it would seem deliberate... contrived... fake. I'd feel stupid.

It's something that's very often been thrown at me by people wanting to 'prove' that I'm cold and uncaring. Which, usually, in reality just means that they're fishing for me to do something that THEY think is proof that I care, though if I did it, again, it wouldn't be genuine, it'd be contrived and not me, and done purely to placate them. The ways I genuinely show I care, they seem to not acknowledge.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah I get this too. It's as though the moment I realize I feel like it, I can't do it. If I did, it would seem deliberate... contrived... fake. I'd feel stupid.

It's something that's very often been thrown at me by people wanting to 'prove' that I'm cold and uncaring. Which, usually, in reality just means that they're fishing for me to do something that THEY think is proof that I care, though if I did it, again, it wouldn't be genuine, it'd be contrived and not me, and done purely to placate them. The ways I genuinely show I care, they seem to not acknowledge.

Exaaaaactly. + 1 million.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Male

1. I'm trying to figure out how much it would take for you all to be reduced to tears. Unrequited love? A death?
A death of someone I'm close too would do it, easy. Sometimes, if everything is going horribly wrong, there is a chance that I'd cry, but most often, even when things are as bad as they get, I'm not going to cry about it, I just get a little angry and put in 100% effort to get back on track.

personal

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in comprehending sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]
:huh: ... 6?

4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in responding to sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]
:huh: 3

okay

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
nelson-simpsons-ah-ah-420x261.jpg

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP

Male.

1. Generally I never cry about RL. I only really ever get that upset when people physically hit me. I have no idea why but for some reason a person physically hurting me just makes me react extremely agressively and physically. So if someone kept at me hitting me for fun then eventually I would just explode with tears and run at them like a wild animal. Any other NTs get that?

Other than that music. Sometimes films as well but only when theres good music as well. And usually at random parts. Never when your supposed to.

And I'll admit yes I cried when dumbledore died in Harry Potter! :cry:

2. Personal. But even then I never really do feel sad for too long as after about 15 seconds a voice in my head kicks in with "For fuck sake how is sitting there upset going change anything" at which point I get on with fixing whats made me sad.

3. Comprehending sadness? Bad. When its other people I usually have the same attitude I have with myself (see above). But at times I can understand things from others point of view so I can see why there sad even I think they souldn't be so 3.

4. Responding to sadness. When its others 1. I'm a retard with it. Good example was my grandads funeral a couple of months ago. I never really knew him that well only seen him once every year or so. Everyone else in my familly was pretty upset but I was just akward because I knew for a fact that I didn't really care and was more just irritated because I had missed my end of school prom. What made it worse was my INFP sister getting annoyed at me because her knowing me so well could tell I wasn't at all upset. So yeah definate 1.

TheShadowKnows

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
I've actually cried twice in the last ten years.

1) At my grandfathers funeral (the dude was 83 I wasn't sad)- I cried more because I realized what an accomplished person he was and how I would likely never be able to measure up to that. I was giving the eulogy and the combination of last minute travel, public speaking ( which I usually enjoy) and the thoughts of my own death and the measurement of my life using his as a yardstick overtaxed my nervous system.

2) Driving away from my family 1 year ago knowing it would be a long separation while doing contract work, and that I was leaving a house that I loved, a town that I loved, and a lifestyle that I loved because of economic pressures of the recession. Something about the highway alone at dusk with that many things you care about fading in the review mirror, caused me to cry for about 60 seconds.

I can feel emotion "well up" but not cry often. A particular Aria, a powerful film (Glory comes to mind) or even a surprise zen moment of perfection with my daughter where the fleeting nature of life and time become more real. But I really don't ever "cry".

Adding: I really consider most emotional "outbursts" to be a total lack of control. I don't yell or have respect for people who do. I have never been in a fight, although I have been punched, and threatened, and even had a gun and a knife pulled on me. I just found a way to diffuse or misdirect the situation. I don't get excited or panic in emergencies. I have saved two kids so far who were choking and their parents did not know the right procedures, put out a brush fire with towels before the fire department arrived (saw it while driving down the road) and chased down and stopped a slow moving car with a man having seizures behind the wheel. Aside from running after the car, I don''t think my heart rate even when up much.

Emotion is useful as an indicator and an experience but if it controls you or you can't control it you cease to be a rational person and resort to more animal instincts. At least, that's how I see it.

Last edited:

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
I am feemale

1. Sometimes a bunch of things catch up to me all at once (unrequited love definitely included) and i hide in a corner and hate myself. and cry. Not often, though.

2. Ooh. Honestly, personal.

3. 8

4. 5

I can seem very empathetic. However my emotions don't respond to other people's sadness.. as depressing as that is.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
...Aside from running after the car, I don''t think my heart rate even when up much.

I relate to what you said, but especially that part. I just don't get it when people panic, and what makes me even madder is when, later on, I get accused of not caring about a situation or people in it, because unlike everyone else, I didn't run around crying and flapping my hands, but calmly dealt with it. People say "you could deal with it easier because you're cold, we more caring types were too upset by it at that point", which shows such an unbelievable lack of understanding of me at such a fundamental level that I can't even begin to be bothered to set them straight.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
ENTP female

Usually I cry because of frustration or anger.
I rarely cry because of sadness or sorrow. Not that I don't have those feelings, but I tend to hide to my cave home, curl up in bed and stare the wall when feeling something like that.

I definitely wouldn't cry over global issues, then again, it doesn't mean I'm not deeply touched by some of them. It's just that there is no use crying or feeling sad about them...

8?

By 'responding' do you mean how I adequately I would behave when someone else is sad?
3 max, perhaps. I feel really awkward in that kind of situations. I recognize the feelings very well, I just don't know what to do.

I used to rationalize or offer advice, then I learned this was not what people needed. Nowadays I tend to stand there, pat the other one on the shoulder and get myself out of that situation ASAP.

... The thing is *I* would like someone to rationalize things for me when *I* am sad... That's why I used to offer that... But, yea, all the people are not NT-s...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
The last time I cried was when a kitten died on the street... I stopped and looked if it was still alive but no, I got it head on :/

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I definitely wouldn't cry over global issues, then again, it doesn't mean I'm not deeply touched by some of them. It's just that there is no use crying or feeling sad about them...

Herein is contained the key to understanding the T temperament, which F's would do well to heed! See what's happening here? It's MBTI theory in action. The subject is using Thinking judgement in order to inform their thoughts and actions. She doesn't think it serves any purpose to cry over these things, therefore she doesn't. A Feeler might also agree that crying over these things doesn't solve them, but the Feeler feels like crying, and so, using Feeling judgement, they do,

This fundamental difference explains pretty much all of the misunderstandings I see between the two, and particularly I think it demonstrates the unfairness of the repeated accusations levelled at T's by F's, of being "cold" and "unfeeling" and "uncaring", for behaviour that's simply the above principle playing out: the subject cares, the subject is sad, but the subject doesn't Think crying would do any good, and as what they Think is what informs their choices, as opposed to what they Feel, the subject does not cry.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzph5aVsa-0"].[/YOUTUBE]

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
Never. Except for the time I smashed my toe against an iron board, I had tears in my eyes a bit, and the time I was yawning every 2 seconds.

Over the years I became very apathetic I don't know why. There are times I want to cry, because well... I feel like I forgot what intense feeling feels like. So I go off to watch a really good movie, then I cry. I love the feeling of how tears warm your heart though.

1. Someone very important to me dieing, (2 people in the world), would make me cry. Rest nope. I move on, no time for that shit.

2. Personal, don't care much about global issue.

7 out of 10. I can tell pretty well how others feel.

4 out of 10. I can do emotional support to certain extend, but if the person in question is displaying really powerful emotions, then my attempts are pretty much futile.

But this case is really rare as there aren't that many people that I genuinely care about. In my head i'm just thinking, "Not this shit again." and just pretend to do what they want me to do and put on a face that shows "I care" when I really don't.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7

1.) A death of someone close to me would definitely make me very upset. I guess I would also cry if I broke a bone or something.. besides that, not really. I've been the victim of unrequited love more than once- so maybe I'm just getting used to that..

2.) Probably personal over global.

3.) 7 out of 10.

4.) 9 out of 10.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Herein is contained the key to understanding the T temperament, which F's would do well to heed! See what's happening here? It's MBTI theory in action. The subject is using Thinking judgement in order to inform their thoughts and actions. She doesn't think it serves any purpose to cry over these things, therefore she doesn't. A Feeler might also agree that crying over these things doesn't solve them, but the Feeler feels like crying, and so, using Feeling judgement, they do,
I feel like a lab-rat now...