User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

When I was about 9 years old.

When I found out my mom won custody of me and my dad didnt get any visitation.
    She also got the house so he had to move in with some relatives far away.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Why do people always ask this question? What is it about ENTPs and crying?

That being said, I don't cry often and the last time I cried was when I faced a personal challenge/phobia dead in the eye. I had a legitimate (irrational) fear. This was a few years ago. I cried because I knew I had won, and it was a stress relief and it was quote emotional.

I didn't cry when my brothers died, or when my best friend died, or when another close friend died. But I do have feelings. I feel sad mostly for, or on the behalf of, other people though.

I got all wobbly the other day during a misunderstanding with a friend, and felt like I could cry, but it didn't end up happening.

I don't understand the last 2 questions.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Spry View Post
    Also, please state if you are a male or female.

1. I'm trying to figure out how much it would take for you all to be reduced to tears. Unrequited love? A death?

2. Would you say you feel more sadness/sorrow over personal or global issues?

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in comprehending sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in responding to sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

You're a generally optimistic bunch of people, so please, do tell.
    1. Neither have been able to get tears out of me.

2. Both. I just don't express sadness with tears. I can't, and don't know why.

3. Pretty sensitive. Just because I don't feel it as well like an empath, doesn't mean I'm not aware and don't sympathize. I think a lot of other people though are quite bad at it, because they rely on tears being the most obvious sign. To me, it seems tears are as often a sign of mere tantrum/temper/bruised pride as they are of actual sadness or sorrow. I've felt sad enough in my life that I've prayed for an early death, yet people have not noticed it and carried on describing me as cheerful and always happy. Because I don't cry.

4. Reasonably sensisitve. I might not respond as expected or desired, but I respond as I think most appropriate and constructive. It's not likely to involve a lot of hugging and stuff, but again, I think that people who say they are very caring can be often very critical of those they perceive as uncaring, when in fact it's just they who are unperceptive and not noticing that care is coming their way from that person, in their own way.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    ... and felt like I could cry, but it didn't end up happening.
    Yeah I get this too. It's as though the moment I realize I feel like it, I can't do it. If I did, it would seem deliberate... contrived... fake. I'd feel stupid.

It's something that's very often been thrown at me by people wanting to 'prove' that I'm cold and uncaring. Which, usually, in reality just means that they're fishing for me to do something that THEY think is proof that I care, though if I did it, again, it wouldn't be genuine, it'd be contrived and not me, and done purely to placate them. The ways I genuinely show I care, they seem to not acknowledge.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Yeah I get this too. It's as though the moment I realize I feel like it, I can't do it. If I did, it would seem deliberate... contrived... fake. I'd feel stupid.

It's something that's very often been thrown at me by people wanting to 'prove' that I'm cold and uncaring. Which, usually, in reality just means that they're fishing for me to do something that THEY think is proof that I care, though if I did it, again, it wouldn't be genuine, it'd be contrived and not me, and done purely to placate them. The ways I genuinely show I care, they seem to not acknowledge.

Exaaaaactly. + 1 million.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Also, please state if you are a male or female.
    Male

1. I'm trying to figure out how much it would take for you all to be reduced to tears. Unrequited love? A death?
    A death of someone I'm close too would do it, easy. Sometimes, if everything is going horribly wrong, there is a chance that I'd cry, but most often, even when things are as bad as they get, I'm not going to cry about it, I just get a little angry and put in 100% effort to get back on track.

personal

3. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in comprehending sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]
    ... 6?

4. On a scale of 1 to 10, how sensitive would you say you are in responding to sadness? [10 being the most sensitive]

You're a generally optimistic bunch of people, so please, do tell.
    okay
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

MBTI
    ENTP
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Spry View Post

Male.

1. Generally I never cry about RL. I only really ever get that upset when people physically hit me. I have no idea why but for some reason a person physically hurting me just makes me react extremely agressively and physically. So if someone kept at me hitting me for fun then eventually I would just explode with tears and run at them like a wild animal. Any other NTs get that?

Other than that music. Sometimes films as well but only when theres good music as well. And usually at random parts. Never when your supposed to.

And I'll admit yes I cried when dumbledore died in Harry Potter!

2. Personal. But even then I never really do feel sad for too long as after about 15 seconds a voice in my head kicks in with "For fuck sake how is sitting there upset going change anything" at which point I get on with fixing whats made me sad.

3. Comprehending sadness? Bad. When its other people I usually have the same attitude I have with myself (see above). But at times I can understand things from others point of view so I can see why there sad even I think they souldn't be so 3.

4. Responding to sadness. When its others 1. I'm a retard with it. Good example was my grandads funeral a couple of months ago. I never really knew him that well only seen him once every year or so. Everyone else in my familly was pretty upset but I was just akward because I knew for a fact that I didn't really care and was more just irritated because I had missed my end of school prom. What made it worse was my INFP sister getting annoyed at me because her knowing me so well could tell I wasn't at all upset. So yeah definate 1.
    "I'd never die for my beliefs, I might be wrong"

"Is it not enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe there are fairys at the bottom of it too"

"Intelligence is being able to hold too opposing views in the mind at the one time without going crazy" - Now all I need to figure out is if I'm intelligent or crazy!

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I've actually cried twice in the last ten years.

1) At my grandfathers funeral (the dude was 83 I wasn't sad)- I cried more because I realized what an accomplished person he was and how I would likely never be able to measure up to that. I was giving the eulogy and the combination of last minute travel, public speaking ( which I usually enjoy) and the thoughts of my own death and the measurement of my life using his as a yardstick overtaxed my nervous system.

2) Driving away from my family 1 year ago knowing it would be a long separation while doing contract work, and that I was leaving a house that I loved, a town that I loved, and a lifestyle that I loved because of economic pressures of the recession. Something about the highway alone at dusk with that many things you care about fading in the review mirror, caused me to cry for about 60 seconds.

I can feel emotion "well up" but not cry often. A particular Aria, a powerful film (Glory comes to mind) or even a surprise zen moment of perfection with my daughter where the fleeting nature of life and time become more real. But I really don't ever "cry".

Adding: I really consider most emotional "outbursts" to be a total lack of control. I don't yell or have respect for people who do. I have never been in a fight, although I have been punched, and threatened, and even had a gun and a knife pulled on me. I just found a way to diffuse or misdirect the situation. I don't get excited or panic in emergencies. I have saved two kids so far who were choking and their parents did not know the right procedures, put out a brush fire with towels before the fire department arrived (saw it while driving down the road) and chased down and stopped a slow moving car with a man having seizures behind the wheel. Aside from running after the car, I don''t think my heart rate even when up much.

Emotion is useful as an indicator and an experience but if it controls you or you can't control it you cease to be a rational person and resort to more animal instincts. At least, that's how I see it.
    Last edited by TheShadowKnows; 08-14-2009 at 11:55 AM. Reason: adding a few things

MBTI
    eNTP

I am feemale

1. Sometimes a bunch of things catch up to me all at once (unrequited love definitely included) and i hide in a corner and hate myself. and cry. Not often, though.

2. Ooh. Honestly, personal.

3. 8

4. 5

I can seem very empathetic. However my emotions don't respond to other people's sadness.. as depressing as that is.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments. He concluded that There is more than one way of doing good science.
    It was Watsons form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA. It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.