User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MX5 View Post
    I've lurked in this forum for several days now and pondered where I would jump in and contribute. This thread seems like as good a place as any as so much that has been said here strikes a chord with me.

My personal experience has been that I place people into two categories; those I care for and those I don't. For those that fall into the former category I tend to have deep and strong feelings for. I am not a demonstrative type, but I do let those people know that I will do (just about) anything for them. People that fall into the latter category I tend to treat as "appliances". That is, they are useful and necessary but I attach no emotional significance to them. That DOES NOT mean that there is no moral imperative to treat them with dignity and respect, but I don't necessarily like, or dislike them.

My particular issue is that
    I agree with you about treating everyone with dignity and respect.
    I certainly want others to treat me that way.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

How to find out how passionate your NT is.
    Cross their principles repeatedly and refuse to leave them alone (incase they try to escape and evade).

Now measure your black eye. All we need now is a chart.

Oh and NTs definitely have as much feeling as other types. My mother and sister were Fs, me and my father are Ts. It's a toss up as to who is the most explosive. It's just with my father and me there's less warning and (as I see it) less fuss made about it.

My best friends (and hopefully best men) are both Fs. I'd still not like to wager who would lose in a game of push and shove of emotional intensity. Just because I don't walk all over the place going all gooey at the knees at every baby I see doesn't mean I don't soften to a childlike enthusiasm at every dog I meet. It's horses for courses. The difference is that if I'm not interested/ focused on you then you may feel cold
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    How to find out how passionate your NT is.
    Cross their principles repeatedly and refuse to leave them alone (incase they try to escape and evade).

Now measure your black eye. All we need now is a chart.

Oh and NTs definitely have as much feeling as other types. My mother and sister were Fs, me and my father are Ts. It's a toss up as to who is the most explosive. It's just with my father and me there's less warning and (as I see it) less fuss made about it.

My best friends (and hopefully best men) are both Fs. I'd still not like to wager who would lose in a game of push and shove of emotional intensity. Just because I don't walk all over the place going all gooey at the knees at every baby I see doesn't mean I don't soften to a childlike enthusiasm at every dog I meet. It's horses for courses. The difference is that if I'm not interested/ focused on you then you may feel cold
    Let's not make blanket statements here. Just because you and your father are NT's and you have a lot of feelings (whether or not you choose to express them), doesn't mean that all other NT's are gushing with emotion.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by warick View Post
    Let's not make blanket statements here. Just because you and your father are NT's and you have a lot of feelings (whether or not you choose to express them), doesn't mean that all other NT's are gushing with emotion.
    Check out the flames and irritation present over at INTP Central. Then breathe, then re-read.

MBTI
    ENTP

My best friends (and hopefully best men) are both Fs. I'd still not like to wager who would lose in a game of push and shove of emotional intensity. Just because I don't walk all over the place going all gooey at the knees at every baby I see doesn't mean I don't soften to a childlike enthusiasm at every dog cat I meet. It's horses for courses. The difference is that if I'm not interested/ focused on you then you may feel cold
    I relate to this. But it swings around from time to time with me. Sometimes I've had someone I know well staring in disbelief when someone who doesn't know me says I'm not a particularly volatile person, whilst at other times I've had someone I hardly know saying to someone who knows me well, "he's a man of very firey passions", only to have them make the "wtf?" face.

I think I'm a very passionate person and a shrink called me 'choleric' on a medical report once, but that's not the same as being sentimental - I'm really not sentimental at all and can be quite ruthless. It just seems like my passions don't really 'intersect' with those of other people very much... and they're not very often directed towards individual people. The same shrink told me that he thinks my mindset is "very deeply communal" and that I barely see even myself as an individual, so in his opinion, that's why I find it hard to pick out individual people as particularly 'special', in any sense, whilst humanity in general is something I care about very passionately. Sometimes people can mistake the way I behave towards them as denoting attachment to them personally, but it's really not - I'd do the same with anyone, even a total stranger. It's not "because it's you" that I do it, but "because you exist, because you're a human". So they're both extremely special, and yet not...

Hmm...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I've always seen the NT condition as "thought and emotion aren't necessarily attached together" hence how NTs can think of death or even suicide in a quite removed and analytical manner.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    ... I think I'm a very passionate person and a shrink called me 'choleric' on a medical report once....
    From what I have studied,
    Choleric=NT
    Melancholic=NF
    Sanguine=SP
    Phlegmatic=SJ

This is the system I studied before I learned about MBTI.

So the shrink was right.
    (The wiki is wrong.)

MBTI
    INTJ

HTML Code:
    http://www.friesian.com/types.htm
    This is a different site that makes more sense to me in where he places types. I cannot speak for the xSxx's so much because I have spent little time studying that portion, but the NT and NF line up better in my mind with melancholic and choleric.

NT= Melancholic
    NF=Choleric
    xSTJ=Phlegmatic
    xSFJ=Phlegmatic
    xSFP=Sanguine
    xSTP=Sanguine

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not effusive in public either, but that's because I'm an Introvert and don't want to draw attention to myself. What you're describing is more ExFx. I'm polite to anyone who speaks to me, but I don't gush in public like that over people. I'm more subdued and polite than anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute
    I relate to this. But it swings around from time to time with me. Sometimes I've had someone I know well staring in disbelief when someone who doesn't know me says I'm not a particularly volatile person, whilst at other times I've had someone I hardly know saying to someone who knows me well, "he's a man of very firey passions", only to have them make the "wtf?" face.

I think I'm a very passionate person and a shrink called me 'choleric' on a medical report once, but that's not the same as being sentimental - I'm really not sentimental at all and can be quite ruthless. It just seems like my passions don't really 'intersect' with those of other people very much... and they're not very often directed towards individual people. The same shrink told me that he thinks my mindset is "very deeply communal" and that I barely see even myself as an individual, so in his opinion, that's why I find it hard to pick out individual people as particularly 'special', in any sense, whilst humanity in general is something I care about very passionately. Sometimes people can mistake the way I behave towards them as denoting attachment to them personally, but it's really not - I'd do the same with anyone, even a total stranger. It's not "because it's you" that I do it, but "because you exist, because you're a human". So they're both extremely special, and yet not...
    It's interesting that you care about humanity as a whole... I really only care about my friends and people I know personally. I'm polite to everyone, but I don't actually care about them unless I get to know them. I don't see how you could honestly care about someone until you know them. I've always found it perplexing when people said they did that. Interesting how differently two people can think.

I can relate to most of what has been said here, so I'll skip the redundancy of repeating everything.

How do you all feel about being misunderstood? Even though I'm quite different than most other people, I don't think it's a big problem. I think everything is great, but I'm still always trying to do things better.

Athenian, I can't speak for Substitute, but as it is for me, my interest in mankind as a whole is more scientific. Mankind as a whole is a huge thing. It's not personal. It's a big and fun challenge to play around with and it's fun to try to help mankind evolve.