User Tag List

First 12

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    INTJ have deep imagination and insight (Ni) and use Te to put their visions into reality.
    But what if they have continuously TONS of different visions? Could they have issues in which vision "trust" and finally use Te to accomplish it?
    So, is it possible, especially under stress, being blocked in Ni and procrastinate because of doubt about which goal achieve?
    Any thought or experience?
    Thanks.
    Yes, I've experienced this. I see it as an economic problem: reality is scarce and there's simply not enough of it to go around to satiate all of our wants. As a result, one must use the thinking/feeling functions to rationalize which vision is worthy of allocating time on to bring to fruition among the competing alternatives. Personally, I would like to be a pilot, stock trader, macroeconomist, lawyer, and lobbyist, but because reality is scarce the pursuit of one (under normal conditions) excludes the pursuit of the others. In my personal statement for law school, in answering "Why Law?" one of my reasons (there were others) was the following:

"There are several reasons why I think a profession in law is right for me. The first has to do with David Ricardo's 'law of comparative advantage' which I learned about in macroeconomics. The idea being that countries can mutually gain by specializing in what they are good at and trading with each other. This law can also be applied to people. My main comparative advantage is in public speaking and debating, which are skills that are important for trial lawyers, and yet both GPA and LSAT score are ill-equipped to measure this dimension of a person. Moreover, if I were to pursue a career as an accountant, for example, these abilities would not get their full use. Therefore, one reason why I am interested in a career in law is that it will draw on my strengths and maximize my personal potential."

So comparative advantage and utility-maximization were two important factors in deciding on this course of action. Yet, I think it would be incorrect to claim that the decision to pursue law was entirely the outcome of an ultra-rational process, just as certain historians of the Napoleonic Wars are incorrect when they assume that how things played out on the battlefield and the outcome of it was the result of some carefully thought out plan by a military genius. Thus, even though these are among my reasons for pursuing law I won't deny the possibility that I was gradually groomed into this career due to countless other factors (such as taking political science as an undergrad which is a natural avenue to law). Thus, it is unrealistic to reduce the outcome of a complex process to only a few simple-simon reasons. The essence of intuitive-thinking is a dialogue between intuition and thinking where a series of compromises, concessions, and bargains are made before decisions are formed. From my experience, the optimal decision for an NT is a decision where the impression afforded by intuition and the outcome of rational thought draw the same conclusion.

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

But what if they have continuously TONS of different visions? Could they have issues in which vision "trust" and finally use Te to accomplish it?
    As decisive and composed I appear to be, preferring Ni, Te and Fi at the same time creates massive internal conflict. The worst battle is unquestionably the Te vs. Fi debate, followed by the Ni vs. Te clash.

The purpose of my introverted intuition is to gather the information necessary for future plans. And the issue is that eventually, Te's demands for external results will hastily push the Ni to work faster, or to stop overall. Yet Ni is uncomfortable beginning on an incomplete picture; it wants to be an expert of the field before it even starts.

Ni: Wants to get it right.
    Te: Wants to get it done.

Both sides want their way set in stone, so I (used) to resort to procrastinating to manage the polar oppositions. Though it partly kills me to know my tangible input is not reflecting my capabilities. Without Te, Hendo Barbarosa is correct when he says Ni can loose touch of reality (and hence, inflicting another burden for the Te.) Another nuisance of Ni is the rush of insightful visions appearing at the least convenient moment. I agree there's just so many ideas....but so little time. God-forbid, I have the actual attention deficit disorder and these epiphanies serve as an overwhelmingly irresistible distraction.

My problem is that I have far too many 'epiphanies' for one unreliable attention span to direct.

On the contrary, my innate knack for seeking out systematic improvements neutralizes this drawback. I write my ideas down as Kra does, then re-organize them by genre, date, personal value, time-cost or all the above. It's not unusual to see me carrying around a notepad to store thoughts.

Additionally, I must always clarify my objective before initiating a task. This will limit the amount of time spent on day-dreaming and inner-self debates. Like you, I can't 'choose' between visions once the Ni cycle flows, though it is due to a hatred of disrupting the cognitive consistency, than a distrust. I also need to tie the scattered ideas together into one applicable structure or they'll be discarded.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post

Ni: Wants to get it right.
    Te: Wants to get it done.
    Oh bravo, Lethe. I was feeling totally like I couldn't relate to a lot of this (I tend to be more decisive, by my estimation at least) but when you pointed the above quote out I realized I have like, eight different scenarios where this conflict is apparent. I often feel totally defeated by any kind of Te victory, also. Not that I haven't had moments in my life where I could stand back and truly say "wow. ok I think we've got something good here." but it seems like lately anytime "get it done" wins, "get it right" is ALWAYS sulking, whether or not other people give me assurances of quality or whatever.

Basically, the crux of indecision for me, as an INTJ, is perfectionism.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo Barbarosa View Post
    Basically, the crux of indecision for me, as an INTJ, is perfectionism.
    This is congruent with my experience as well.
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    INTJ

INTJ have deep imagination and insight (Ni) and use Te to put their visions into reality.
    So, is it possible, especially under stress, being blocked in Ni and procrastinate because of doubt about which goal achieve?
    Any thought or experience?
    Thanks.
    I have lots of ideas and projects that I get started on and put on the back burner indefinitely.
    But it's not because of stress.
    It's just that there's a lot more ideas than I have time to implement.
    I try to cherry pick the best ones.
    I take the best ideas to completion.
    I've always been good at brainstorming a lot of ideas.

MBTI
    INxJ

Ni isn't holding you back. It's your ability to make a decision. Depending on your choices, some efforts to reach a goal can probably be incorporated together.