User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Stupid NTs

ThatGirl

Default Stupid NTs

I think this is an oxymoron.

Now I know that intelligence varies in people more than types, however when people say there are stupid NTs, I just don't understand how that is possible.

The very personality characteristics of an NT are either developed through growing up as an intelligent person, or having NT characteristics would build a foundation for intelligence. Basically, there is no way someone could hold strategic thinking mind set, with out it leading to some type of knowledge.

If people chose to act stupid, that is a whole other story.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Do you think the same does not apply to STs? If so, why?

Do you believe a personality archetype 100% resembles an actual person, for every case?

If not, that might be how you resolve why stupid and NT isn't an oxymoron.

MBTI
    INTP

Eh, I think I'm with you on this one. At the worst one may find an NT with average cognitive abilities.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I think there are also NTs that lack self-awareness, so they might not be unintelligent, but they might be damned stupid in the real world.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Define stupid.

Functional perspective:

Te: not having a clear line of thought
    Ti: not being accurate
    Fe: not considering the group
    Fi: not knowing what really matters
    Ne: not seeing the forest
    Se: not seeing the trees
    Ni: not considering implications
    Si: not considering what is already known
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    I think this is an oxymoron.

Now I know that intelligence varies in people more than types, however when people say there are stupid NTs, I just don't understand how that is possible.

The very personality characteristics of an NT are either developed through growing up as an intelligent person, or having NT characteristics would build a foundation for intelligence. Basically, there is no way someone could hold strategic thinking mind set, with out it leading to some type of knowledge.

If people chose to act stupid, that is a whole other story.
    It's the same way as there can be amoral Feelers. The basic judgement of the person is flawed, something in the way they were formed in their development was wrong. The Thinker can use their own logic excellently, but if their basic logic is flawed at it's core level they won't ever be able to stand back and see it.

Then again there's a question of organic brain damage. Like when my father had his major stroke, he didn't magically turn into a person who made his decisions based on his feeling, he still wanted to use logic but his logic was often disturbed by a lack of coherent brain function.

Their ability to use their brain might not have been as quick as another person's from the begining. That wouldn't affect a desire to use logic and N to solve problems, but up against a Feeler with a quicker brain yeah they would come out looking less intelligent. The Feeler's subconscious would be able to think for them and they would come up with the solution quicker---if their brain was truly better equiped and that really has nothing to do with preference for making judgments.

You are lumping basic intelligence, brain function and thinking preference for making decisions all into the same package and it just isn't that way at all.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I think there are also NTs that lack self-awareness, so they might not be unintelligent, but they might be damned stupid in the real world.
    Definitely a possibility but is that really stupidity?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    Definitely a possibility but is that really stupidity?
    I've met NTs who can barely dress themselves, don't know how to do laundry or cook for themselves, can't put together an intelligent argument, etc. I think that's stupid, by mainstream standards and my own. In my opinion brilliance or proficiency in one area doesn't exclude someone from being incapable in other areas. It's just a different kind of stupid.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

ThatGirl

Point 1: Everyone has their own brand of intelligence, yes. NTs should be able to acknowledge theirs without offending everyone else or making them feel inferior. Go ahead say it.

Admit it!

NTs are smart.....and it's okay.

They have worked hard at it, are probably naturally inclined, and are driven by intellectual pursuits. This is part of there personality. They pride themselves on their intellectual achievements. How can you deny NT intelligence?

Haters.