User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Thread: Stupid NTs

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    This probably has something to do with why NTs are such pretentious douches; we're raised being told how brilliant and special we are and so we get into this ridiculous sort of complacent mindset where we don't think we even have to try at anything. It's pretty bad.
    Speak for yourself. One of my high school teachers said she thought I was a bit thick--in front of the whole class. She didn't realize I was sitting in the front row.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

hmhm, I am not quite convinced
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post
    It's not sarcasm. It's a well known fact that intuitive people have an advantage in science and philosophy. I thought it was obvious.
    Have you ever studied a field in great depth? Once you do, you'll recognize the many dimensions and facets within each field, i.e. there are some pockets in every field (no matter what the field) that cater to probably every type of intelligence. Intelligence aside, just because the first "gate" to get within the field might require more effort from someone with a different intellectual skillset doesn't mean that all the gates within the discipline require the same pass-key, if you will.
    Plus, like is clear in my example, my ISFJ grandpa is hella smart. He's probably able to understand a lot more than most NTs, and he's not the only SF to do that. Intelligence and type are not related.

You're really limiting your variables when you assert that personality types should be such deterministic predictors of where one can succeed. What about motivation, like Toonia referenced? Work ethic? Time management skills? The list goes on.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace_ View Post

Can you name one good ISFJ scientist? Or at least an average one?
    While some cases like Einstein or Feynman are prototypes of their NTPness, I'd wager that a lot of people are projecting the wrong type onto some individuals that are succeeding in fields that they're not "supposed" to be succeeding in.

Back to my ISFJ grandpa, for example--it's not like I'm bad at typing, he is just a supreme introvert (thus not displaying a lot of data from which to gather type-evidence) AND demonstrably intelligent in prototypical NT areas that I presumed he was INTP. He really looked the type, and had to explain to me his ISFJness once he read the description, which I then saw how it fit.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Have you ever studied a field in great depth? Once you do, you'll recognize the many dimensions and facets within each field, i.e. there are some pockets in every field (no matter what the field) that cater to probably every type of intelligence. Intelligence aside, just because the first "gate" to get within the field might require more effort from someone with a different intellectual skillset doesn't mean that all the gates within the discipline require the same pass-key, if you will.
    Amen. Type measures preference. While there seems to be (I don't remember the studies offhand) correlation between N and intelligence, that's most likely to have intelligence as the cause and N preference as the effect. People tend to prefer things they are good at and avoid those they're not good at. Correlation is not an absolute - here it merely means that, other things being equal, people with N preference are more likely intelligent, not that they absolutely will be. Take 1000 people with N and 1000 with S preference. The N group will have more gifted people but the S group will also have some.

You're really limiting your variables when you assert that personality types should be such deterministic predictors of where one can succeed. What about motivation, like Toonia referenced? Work ethic? Time management skills? The list goes on.
    Once you get past certain level, intelligence stops being a good predictor of success and is replaced by other things such as listed here. At each point, the skill you're relatively worst at will likely be the limiting factor. Once you are past the "required" intelligence, you're probably capable of scientific research. When your work ethic is good enough, you can perform consistent studies and hit deadlines for papers. If you're good at networking, you will have more opportunities for collaboration with your peers and higher chance of being cited in other papers. The list goes on.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Point 1: Everyone has their own brand of intelligence, yes. NTs should be able to acknowledge theirs without offending everyone else or making them feel inferior. Go ahead say it.

Admit it!

NTs are smart.....and it's okay.

They have worked hard at it, are probably naturally inclined, and are driven by intellectual pursuits. This is part of there personality. They pride themselves on their intellectual achievements. How can you deny NT intelligence?

Haters.

Hmmmm Lets see what the POST CONDENSOR 3000TM says:

"Im not a narccassist I just happen to be the greatest human being in the world."

"IM SMARTER THAN ALL OF YOU STOP CALLING ME STUPID I CANT BE STUPID CAUSE IM AN NT"

The POST CONDENSOR 3000TM detects 4% chance of a troll.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm an NT and I'm pretty viably stupid.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Hendo Barbarosa View Post
    I'm an NT and I'm pretty viably stupid.
    Same here. "viable" was just enough for me to put it in print.
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Plus, like is clear in my example, my ISFJ grandpa is hella smart. He's probably able to understand a lot more than most NTs, and he's not the only SF to do that. Intelligence and type are not related.
    (forgive anything I might've missed if I'm repeating other people's thoughts, I'm still catching up with this thread actively...)

Note that you said he UNDERSTANDS a lot more than most NTs (this is almost definitely true) but what other people in this thread have essentially been pointing out is that the intuitive streak (esp. secondary, semi-conscious INTP Ne) is better for taking said knowledge and creating new, previously unthought of connections with it. Interestingly enough a lot of the argument in this thread is that since he's Si dominant, (although incredibly adept and memorizing and utilizing the given body of scientific knowledge) he'll probably not be as good at using his inferior Ne to make the new and striking connections with that data that a "successful" (in the sense of being different or innovative, I suppose) scientist or philosopher would be defined by.

That said, people need to also respect the fact or idea that by the functions themselves, an INTP uses dominant Ti and Si to build their storehouse of knowledge (Si assists in the "encyclopedia" factor) and surprisingly enough, guess who uses Si and Ti in that same introverted-functional duo?

The ISFJ.

So there could be two possible reasons why he tested this way even given his extensive intellect:

a.) Maybe he has different ways of expressing and understanding his given type somehow, and that broke the test?

b.) He is in fact an ISFJ with (despite to the cries and wails of people on this board/chatroom) a higher functioning tertiary Ti that comes from ignoring more of his less conscious secondary function Fe and focusing instead on an SiTi configuration that would indeed look very similar (but would probably have subtle but striking differences of approach) to the INTP's way of analyzing the same problem.

Really the best way to know would be to take a valid INTP and get him to have a conversation with the ISFJ, while observing any comparisons and contrast...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    Hmmmm Lets see what the POST CONDENSOR 3000TM says:

"Im not a narccassist I just happen to be the greatest human being in the world."

"IM SMARTER THAN ALL OF YOU STOP CALLING ME STUPID I CANT BE STUPID CAUSE IM AN NT"

The POST CONDENSOR 3000TM detects 4% chance of a troll.
    For some reason my visceral response to this thread keeps being "Ayn Rand."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

This one time someone called her out on, of all places, the Phil Donahue show, and her response was (paraphrase mine) "So let me get this straight, just so I understand the situation correctly: Which one of us is famous/has a book and which one is just a person in the audience?"