User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Thread: Stupid NTs

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    But how long does it take the person to understand these new theoretical principles? It could take 5 minutes or 5 years.
    Well the test asks if you "easily" understand new theoretical principals, which should indicate a short span of time.

Also, you must allow for lower preferences. If a person has N and T preferences of 60% each, they are still NT yet do not have strong preferences. And that will certainly effect the way in which information is processed.
    Yeah that's true.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

<------- I'm wit stubid !
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well the test asks if you "easily" understand new theoretical principals, which should indicate a short span of time.
    "Easily" is subjective. If it took you several months to learn all of the principles of physical chemistry, I would say you learned it pretty easily. Yet someone else could learn it in a few weeks. That's the thing about the MBTI: it is asking you to give your opinion on yourself. Now if you consider yourself intelligent (which may or may not be true), you will answer these questions in a certain manner.

MBTI
    INTP

Easily is subjective. If it took you several months to learn all of the principles of physical chemistry, I would say you learned it pretty easily. Yet someone else could learn it in a few weeks. That's the thing about the MBTI: it is asking you to give your opinion on yourself. Now if you consider yourself intelligent (which may or may not be true), you will answer these questions in a certain manner.
    Yeah that's one of the potential biases I see in the test. Someone just looking for positive feedback might be more likely to test N on some questions, just like a male F might be more inclined to test T because of gender norms. I know a couple obvious NF guys who claim to test as NTs, but I'm fairly certain they're mistyped.

But if a bias gets in the way of one question, there are 60 other questions on the test that will hopefully make up for it.

MBTI
    INTP

You approach a new problem and are told to use a principle X and that you should just accept that X is the way it is.

You might say I can't just accept that. I need to know the why behind X. Ok, so X is a result of Y. So why is Y is that way? Y is because of A, B, and C. Now you might want to know the why behind A, B, and C, but at least you have a better chance of understanding the original problem without necessarily completely understanding A, B and C.
    If going into the problem you understand A, B, C and maybe Y, you will understand the problem much faster than if you had no context to work with.

Some people might be able to solve problems quickly by just looking at the surface and accepting principles at face value without fully understanding why they are that way. I need the big picture. I will be initially slower learning new things than people who can take things at face value, but I will have much deeper insight when I know enough to understand the problem. Probably much more than I need for that problem but the additional information adds to my overall big picture understanding.

I have become faster at solving problems with age because I have had more time to build up my big picture. I have a lot of context to work with. I had a hard time learning new things in high school. On reflection, I see it was because I did not have the big picture understanding I needed. I could not accept things at face value, which is the way I was being taught. It was an inadequate learning style for me.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So the test basically asks if you are smart, and if you answer "yes" then you are an NT? If that is the case, then the MBTI tests should be skill based and not a self-reporting view of oneself.

This seems to come down to the question of whether or not MBTI is measuring cognitive functions as skills or preferences.

Edit: The self-reporting test is an effective way to measure someone's preferences if they answer honestly, but it is not designed to measure skill. An individual might value using empathy to solve problems, but they aren't accurate when trying to identify someone else's feelings or viewpoint. Another person might value using an external, impersonal measure, but their ability with logic is quite poor.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    So the test basically asks if you are smart, and if you answer "yes" then you are an NT? If that is the case, then the MBTI tests should be skill based and not a self-reporting view of oneself.

This seems to come down to the question of whether or not MBTI is measuring cognitive functions as skills or preferences.
    Some kind of skill based MBTI tests sounds interesting actually. But I don't know how you would test E/I or T/F as skills on a simple test.

I think self-reporting can suffice in many instances though. If someone doesn't have a totally skewed view of themselves, and if they are answering the questions honestly and understand the questions, self-reporting the answers will be more accurate than not.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah, there are stupid NTs. You know how I know?

Because I've outsmarted them! If I can outsmart them, they must be stupid, because I'm not all that smart.

MBTI
    INTJ

Are there stupid NTs?

I wouldn't know.

And generally it's nicer to see people being intelligent rather than merely laying claim to it.

EDIT: how does an NT go about saying, sure, yeah, there are slow-witted NTs out there? Does he include a disclaimer? Does he go over-drive being objective to show how slow-witted he isn't? Does he say, pffft, and go view some other thread? Does he expect the OP to substantiate her claim or does he jump up and down on the springboard of his own insecurities?

Today's theater: "Lets see who can take being nominated not necessarily not dumb!"

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

There are those who think I'm smart and intelligent, and there are those who think I am stupid as well.

It all depends on how much I care.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf