User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Thread: Stupid NTs

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JonJT View Post
    If they can not perform any of these tasks then what are they proficient in? I'd almost suggest they these NTs you know have some sort of classifiable disorder and their inability to conform to the norm isn't really stupidity.
    Maybe my experience is skewed because many of the NTs I meet are my age (just graduated high school) or going to UC Berkeley (where you can meet plenty of talented engineering students who you can't have an intelligent conversation with). Also at the school I went to, tests and making the school look good were of primary importance, learning valuable skills came second.

I guess it isn't stupidity that comes from a lack of ability, but from a lack of experience or a lack of ever trying to do basic things because they've excused themselves from learning to do them. I think limiting yourself choosing only the intellectual over the practical is "stupid". It also ties in to what has been mentioned before, not considering other viewpoints (as opposed to being clinically unable to learn these things).

Of course people like that are still rare amongst NTs in my experience, but they're out there. Anyway that's just my take.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    This is all very true. But here we go with the NT stigmas and mindful equality again. Of course there are other types that can be more intellectual than an NT, but that does not make the NT less intelligent.
    yeh, I haven't met many stupid INTPs, even in friendship groups which aren't as academic. Like you see a group where you expect little intellectual discussion and next minute an INTP pops out of it and starts doing someone's homework for them.

The other possibility is that I might not be able to identify an INTP without that intelligence aspect because most INTPs I know are known through university. Just as I couldn't identify an ENTP or ENFP without seeing the Ne rip apart problems, and question everything. These become our cornerstones for identifying the type. Therefore no one who we see as the type can be stupid. We just type them as something else.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Define stupid.

Functional perspective:

Te: not having a clear line of thought
    Ti: not being accurate
    Fe: not considering the group
    Fi: not knowing what really matters
    Ne: not seeing the forest
    Se: not seeing the trees
    Ni: not considering implications
    Si: not considering what is already known
    i think that's an extremely useful approach. unfortunately also a reminder of how much hate there is in the world.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think it's necessarily an oxymoron. Normal distribution virtually guarantees the existence of some below average NT's. I do find it rather hard to fathom what a truly stupid NT would be like though. Anyone care to write a description of below average IQ (or even average IQ) NT here?

Note: We're talking about intelligence, not person's worth here. Inane complaints about multiple intelligences or IQ being meaningless are best directed at /dev/null.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

^I know plenty of NTs because of my area of work and stupid ones certainly exist. Most of the NTs I know are average/somewhat intelligent, but above all else "learned," which I don't equate with inherent intelligence. Stupid NTs look like any other stupid person would. When they open their mouth it makes you go .

(In other news, you might want to check this forum for other examples of NTs that don't quite cut it...)

At first I was surprised too, that there was an iNtuitive of any type that wasn't bright. But there is something not right about thinking that if a person is inclined to a certain way of processing, that they will always be smart by society's standards. One can prefer intuition and "thinking," yet not have a good grasp on how to use them in a manner that will produce the best results.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think the NT = smart correlation can be explained by looking at the MBTI test itself:

You often think about humankind and its destiny?
    You easily understand new theoretical principles?
    You often contemplate about the complexity of life?
    etc.

^ Stupid people don't do any of this.

Some of the questions that indicate N and T (especially N) can be related to intelligence. For instance, being able to "understand new theoretical principles" is definitely a sign of intelligence, and is also a sign of N.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Some of the questions that indicate N and T (especially N) can be related to intelligence. For instance, being able to "understand new theoretical principles" is definitely a sign of intelligence, and is also a sign of N.
    But how long does it take the person to understand these new theoretical principles? It could take 5 minutes or 5 years.

Also, you must allow for lower preferences. If a person has N and T preferences of 60% each (yes we all know percentages don't have a clear meaning, but work with me here), they are still NT yet do not have strong preferences. And that will certainly effect the way in which information is processed.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Ashley View Post
    ^I know plenty of NTs because of my area of work and stupid ones certainly exist.
    I didn't mean to imply that a stupid NT would be an extreme rarity. I was merely saying that I have a hard time figuring out how such NT would appear and act in real life (and how they would differ from the "great unwashed masses"). My friends tend to be above or well above average intelligence and the more average ones are SP or SJ as far as I can tell. I'm interested in the real life case more than online since forums have different dynamics and more opportunities for misconception (not to mention that stupid people of all types are much harder to avoid online ).

Ps. Definitely agree about the "makes you go "

Edit: I should have added that I know several SJs and SPs that are well above average intelligence, so that is by no means restricted to NTs.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

I don't think anyone is hearing heart's posts here.

"Smart" and preferences are not necessarily tied. The hard-wiring of your brain can be affected throughout your life by any external or developmental factors, but your preference order would still be the same, even if you were not capable cognitively to utilize them.

I do know many NT's who think they are the smartest cookies in the jar, and their preference order makes them especially prone to this delusion (even though they generically as a type are very effective in certain areas and I love them dearly for it). Being NT simply doesn't make an individual most intelligent by default. And it sure doesn't matter how brilliant you are if you can't communicate with the outside world in a meaningful, capable way. If everyone around you thinks you are a pompous, arrogant ass, you won't be able to effect much progress or change!

We would surely all agree that getting around in the world take a combination plate of skills, and capabilities as defined by MBTI, IQ or other parameters are only slices of the life skill pie. Tasty ones, but only slices nonetheless.

One must be so careful not to assign some elitist view to MBTI and preference order.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Intelligence, knowlegde, wisdom. Is not definable by a zero to hero scale.

Although I would agree that per definition, NT's are more prone to have a higher IQ intelligence than other types. In truth the scale is two sided. We each develop ourselves in our own unique way. Some may excel in ways we see as intelligent, while others excel in many different ways, not seen as intelligent per se, but still a development.

How a person develops is a subjective choice different to each person. The person that speaks of stupidity by choosing a path far from his/her own chosen path, does not truely understand the path he/she took herself. Or the so-called stupidity would never have been an issue for that person.

Blah blah blahdi blah. Yada yada, el caramba.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf