User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Thread: Stupid NTs

MBTI
    GONE

Hmmmmm, no. And, wow.

You're basically saying that "NTs are smart because they are NTs".

You've defined the terms to fit your conclusion, which works in your model and I "get" what you saying and also what you seem to be implying and I totally disagree.

You're not saying that NTs are the most "intelligent type" (but you're just one extrapolation away) but you are saying that by definition an NT has to be intelligent. And I'm still not clear what your definition of "intelligence" other than an NT way of thinking?

Every MBT type describes a way a type understands the world and processes consciousness, which are forms of intelligence.

Just because you like making arguments on what you think is logic doesn't mean that they actually make sense to anyone else. Of course, you can just say that "everyone else is stupid" (which people do all time )

If you define "valuing rationality" or "strategic thinking" or Ti/Te the cognitive functions themselves as a high quantifiable amount of intelligence then sure, by your definition NTs will be intelligent just because they are NT.

However, I think - no, scratch that - I know it's possible to be an NT of average to below average (or impaired) intelligence. You just prefer a certain way to understand and relate to the world. Kind of like what Heart was saying with her story. And maybe your IQ is higher than your "EQ". But, does that make you "intelligent"?

Just like your own personal best subject in school is chemistry or music or PE, but that doesn't mean you excel in those subjects compared to other students. Or that you're even very good at them, they are just what you are personally best at.

And I will also say that looking at the quads, NTs are more likely than other types to define themselves based on intelligence or value their intelligence above most of their other attributes. So far you(r post and my brother) back that one up.

Bah, is any of this making sense?

But basically, no.

But maybe the definitions of "intelligent" that we're using are different.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

An origin of preferences would probably have something to say on origin of function order too, be the order standard or non-.

Does an origin of preferences theory have immediately to turn into neuroscience? If the creation and rise of preference is, as so seemingly, set in motion so very early in the growth of the person, then maybe we can skip as non-formative, though significant, stories of bouncing on uncle's knee, and maybe do have to take a closer look at brain function and growth.

Or not. I dunno.

In any case, what's up with not liking settled function orders? What is a function order, anyway? The end degree to which a given function's conscious product is present in the person's identity?

And ps. To anyone still watching: what NTs do is the stuff of being intelligent; what NFs do is the stuff of being moral... get over it. If you want to coopt my nice word for pissant things like emotional intelligence, then watch out for the new coinage coming to a street corner near you: intellectual morality. It refers to how far divorced from the actual basis of moral decision making your ethical schemes have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalach View Post

In any case, what's up with not liking settled function orders? What is a function order, anyway? The end degree to which a given function's conscious product is present in the person's identity?
    "Settled function orders" is an oxymoron to me.

I view the human brain as a work of art, if you will.
    So to take that masterpiece and turn it into a paint-by-numbers,
    is less than acceptable.

That aside, it would be all too easy to take 100 INTJs and test their function preferences independently.
    And when I say independently, I sure as hell don't mean that by preferring Ni,
    the test automatically subtracts points from the S counterpart!
    That still isn't fair testing.

I say abolish all assumptions, decouple the dichotomies, and let the chips fall where they may.
    In the end, you know damn well those 100 INTJs won't have the same function order.

How do I/you know? Ask your Ni and see what it tells you.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

If you're using MBTI to confirm your awesomeness then I think you're doing it wrong. Understanding MBTI and functions should be a humbling experience where you realise just how entrenched in your own bias you really are.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    I'm glad that I learned about Jungian studies on cognitive function before I learned about MBTI, and not the other way around.
    This should be standard method.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Take Ayn Rand, for example.
    A couple of her books are my favorites based on entertainment value alone, but she was an absolute nutter.

OP: Intelligence is dependent on how it's defined. MBTI has no empirical value. On the other hand, NTs aren't created equally. I imagine someone that is actually correct in their perception of how they operate, and scores closer to 100% of both N/T, will be closer to what you claim. Theoretically.

I know two brilliant ISFJ scientists. One is definitely more intelligent than my other NT friends and I. The other ISFJ about the same. Though, one of my ENTP friends fails hard in all areas of academics/life in general. I can tell he uses the main ENTP functions, but he's just plain stupid. My other ENTP friend is an aerospace engineer. It's a mixed bag of nuts. Go, figure.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    Point 1: Everyone has their own brand of intelligence, yes. NTs should be able to acknowledge theirs without offending everyone else or making them feel inferior. Go ahead say it.

Admit it!

NTs are smart.....and it's okay.

They have worked hard at it, are probably naturally inclined, and are driven by intellectual pursuits. This is part of there personality. They pride themselves on their intellectual achievements. How can you deny NT intelligence?

Haters.
    So? I could pride myself on my culinary abilities, but that doesn't make me any less of a shitty cook (which I am.)

Your assertion that NTs are intelligent because NTs are intelligent begs the question.

You need to stop conceptualizing "intelligence" as inherently equivalent to "everything NTs are good at"--IQ tests are not a measure of intelligence, only NT-type intelligence!

Abstract logical problem solving =/= intelligence

If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    So? I could pride myself on my culinary abilities, but that doesn't make me any less of a shitty cook (which I am.)

Your assertion that NTs are intelligent because NTs are intelligent begs the question.

You need to stop conceptualizing "intelligence" as inherently equivalent to "everything NTs are good at"--IQ tests are not a measure of intelligence, only NT-type intelligence!

Well, you've told us what intelligence isn't.

Anyone care to tell us what it is?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, you've told us what intelligence isn't.

Anyone care to tell us what it is?
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

even being American, I'm going to have to disagree.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]