User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default NT & religions (& God)

I have a curious question:
    how does NT view religions?
    what is the NT's notions of "God" ? can NT be as 'spiritual/religious' as most NF seems to be ?

and what does NT think , specifically, of Christianity concept of God? does it make sense? is it acceptable, or it is not acceptable for NT's rationale? and what's the reasons?

and for some unknown reason, is it true that NT's are more interested towards the New-Age-ism, or Buddhism, Hinduism, or even pantheism notion of "God" , rather than those Abrahamic religions (ie: Islam, Christianity, Judaism) ?
    does this have anything to do at all with one being an "NT" (as opposed to an SJ, or ST, or NF, etc ) ?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I am God.

I am the power of Christ. And much like Christ, I love the little children...they are delicious.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I am God. I am the power of Christ. And much like Christ, I love the little children...they are delicious.
    Oh, mighty Cthulhu -- please eat me first so that I might not suffer the long and bloody period of tribulation!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

You will suffer a long, bloody period of a different sort...

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I am God.

I am the power of Christ. And much like Christ, I love the little children...they are delicious.
    I enjoy you Uberfuhrer.

Quote Originally Posted by niki View Post
    what is the NT's notions of "God" ? can NT be as 'spiritual/religious' as most NF seems to be ?
    I think every NT you ask will have a different answer to this. I believe in something, but I don't think it's possible for humans to understand it. I'm not a fan of organized religion.

MBTI
    XNTX

and what does NT think , specifically, of Christianity concept of God? does it make sense? is it acceptable, or it is not acceptable for NT's rationale? and what's the reasons?

and for some unknown reason, is it true that NT's are more interested towards the New-Age-ism, or Buddhism, Hinduism, or even pantheism notion of "God" , rather than those Abrahamic religions (ie: Islam, Christianity, Judaism) ?
    does this have anything to do at all with one being an "NT" (as opposed to an SJ, or ST, or NF, etc ) ?
    Well, I'd expect most NT's to have a rational concept to justify their position on God / Religion etc.

Me, I know there are planetary systems 10b years older than ours.. and as such there could be life forms 10b years more advanced. I'd expect over that time they could lose the need for a physical presence (as it’s inefficient) and as such they could attain a God like status (to us).

One interesting concept I had, is that Aliens could believe in God because they might not even be able to point to the reason of their existence, perhaps that’s why they haven't come along invaded our planet and probed us all .

Seriously though, I'm open to most concepts, I just need some verifiable proof before I jump headlong into participating in a notional belief.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I really don't know about NT's. If they grew up in a culture or family where religion was very pervasive, I think they might be just as faithful as any other type. But I will say that I personally have trouble with a lot of the cut and dried ideas of God that most people accept. I would presume that with NT's, that would be even more pronounced because of their tendency to be so logical. I need only the right emotional justification, and I can't even find enough for that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm open to the possibility that a God might exist, but I don't feel comfortable behaving as if I know anything about such a being without any basis for that faith. I don't think less of people who do have strong faith, and would even be willing to pray with them if I'm asked to. After all, it makes them feel better, and I can't know that they aren't right.

I quote Han Solo here, about how I'm tempted to think: "I've seen a lot of strange stuff, but I've never seen anything to make me believe there's one all-powerful Force controlling everything. No mystical energy field controls my destiny."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was raised in a very pervasive conservative Christian subculture, so in essence I accepted what I was being told as true. While I had doubts about some of the specific interpretations and doctrines, I was still able to see potential patterns in nature. Conservative Christianity seems possible, perhaps even plausible.

As I got older and looked at things from other points of view -- even starting from scratch -- I saw that things were not nearly as clear-cut as I had hoped, and "hard evidence" was not nearly as pervasive. But much of my worldview was still based on Christian thought, and I had grown to value aspects of the Christian faith.

At the moment, I am not sure who or what God is. I know who I would like him to be. I just am not in a position where I ever want to be proselytizing or evangelizing or telling people what they are supposed to believe, ever again. I want to help them think through things for themselves and draw their own conclusions. I am an explorer, not a police officer.

Trying to do more than that is what had left me agonizing for years -- feeling like I had very much lost my intellectual integrity. I realized that, for me, I had to leave many things more ambiguous and open-ended to feel that I was being honest.

I would not be surprised if NTs struggled in general with this. What I have seen are three groups: Those who are brought up in the faith and see fine with the level of "proof" they have and rely on patterns to support their faith; those who are neutral and see positives/negatives but remain mostly agnostic; and those who are hardcore in the other direction and seemingly angry at religion or think of it very negatively because it offends their intellectual sensibilities. (perhaps there are other stances, but I know I have seen those in play.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ

Curiosity is a good thing.

I would guess as yet another subject of analysis, susceptible to be dissected using sociology and psychology.

what is the NT's notions of "God" ?
    Probably a social construct would be a common answer

can NT be as 'spiritual/religious' as most NF seems to be ?
    I can't think of a reason why they could not

and what does NT think , specifically, of Christianity concept of God?
    This one here thinks there's no way of knowing anything about its veracity.

does it make sense?
    Maybe it does?

is it acceptable, or it is not acceptable for NT's rationale?
    Neither

and what's the reasons?
    Insufficient data to form a conclusion

I don't see any reason against this.

It has to do with being N. N's tend to be more open to experience as defined in big 5 models of personality. People high in this dimension are more likely to explore other belief systems. People extreme in this dimension tend to hold fantastical and non-sensical beliefs.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    It has to do with being N. N's tend to be more open to experience as defined in big 5 models of personality. People high in this dimension are more likely to explore other belief systems. People extreme in this dimension tend to hold fantastical and non-sensical beliefs.
    I should point out that within MBTI, it is along the J/P access that seems to define opinion and openness to religion, or at least, Christianity (dominant religion in some studies). In short, Ps question.

Most notably it was ISTPs that were most anti-religion by a fair margin, which I found interesting. NTs were not particularily open or closed to religion as a whole or specifically.