User Tag List

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: NT & religions (& God)

I am completely uninterested in group think and I am completely uninterested in any religion that gives the notion of a God human characteristics, like anger, veangeance, petty dislikes etc. Why? Because to my mind, if there is an omnipotent force out there it would not be bothering itself with issues that afflict the human conditoin much. It has many species, planets, galaxies under it's dominion, why give a shit about someone being gay, or drinking alcohol etc? Makes no sense but it makes perfect sense when you think about humans in general getting pissy with other human's about petty grievances. Most religous texts smack of petty grievances and sectarian control. So I threw out all membership and books associated with religions of the organised sort, eastern and western varieties.

But does that mean I don't believe in an ominoptent force holding the universe together? No it doesn't. I do ardently believe in something greater than me and what my limited mind can conjure. It would be the greatest arrogance to call myself knowledgable in all things and pretend I have all the answers. It also brings me comfort to think that I am not the highest end product of evolution. We would all be in dire shit in I was.

So I have my own religion if you like that I adhere to....

Belief in an omnipotent presence in the universe.
    Belief that self-discovery of what that means to me is important.
    Refusal to become evangelical about it.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Im no NT but I remember being taken to a church many times as a child by my mother.

The oddest thing was I never developed a belief in a deity of any kind. I noticed the institution surrounding the religion and I noticed the religion and it's relationship to the institution. But nothing more. If anything I usually found the place very boring.

Although I will admit I loved lent-lunch and it's free meals.

My belief is actually similar to @WhoCares as it makes little sense to me that an omnipotent force created the incomparable immensity that is the universe just so 'it' could focus on an egotistical race of creatures inhabiting a small rock orbiting a rather small star.

If anything we are the bacteria on the universe's toe. Let's hope it doesn't start a course of intergalactic anti-biotics.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Avik View Post
    To understand the origins of the God concept, we must first keep in mind that all the Religions theories were put forward at a time when the knowledge of Science, and also, the common sense of the general masses, were at their nadir. I find, that the concept was cooked up with the intention of keeping said masses under control. To instill the fear of something great into them, something greater than humankind itself. Given that the mortality rate was far higher during the birth of the religions, when the knowledge of the scientific realm was negligible, it gave people something to hope for. Something to pat them on the backs and assure them things would be alright. Another theory I believe in, suggests that God was the easy way out when explaining the hordes of mysteries that surrounded them.
    I'm unaware of what the other NTs feel about Pantheism, but I find it not much different than Theism. What DOES differ, is the definition of God. An Omniscient, Omnipresent and Omnipotent, mighty being, as opposed to an Omnipresent energy.
    A person's personality type is a large deciding factor for their beliefs. An SF, for example, is more susceptible to the poeticism of Pantheism, while an NT would choose a theory that is backed with tangible evidence.
    All things considered, I opt to not discuss Religion in person. Either, the person will agree with me, in which case there's no point to the discussion, or the person will disagree, but won't go about their side of the argument in a rational way, so it'd be a waste of my time and energy. The conclusion being my having accepted the attitude of an ISTP- 'Live and Let Live'.
    The highlighted is incorrect. Bahai faith is a good example of a religion that came into being during a time of significant scientific discovery. Also, I don't know of any religion which was founded in order to control the masses, though most have been (mis)used for that purpose once they had garnered sufficient followers. In essence, they were co-opted by the powerful, or those seeking power. You are correct that divine or metaphysical explanations were offered when scientific ones eluded our understanding and experience. The history of science is to some degree a tale of how we brought more and more of these questions into the realm of scientific rather than religious discussion.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

Senior Member Array The Great One's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    I think that's the most realistic definition of Christian.

But how could I possibly know?
    I don't see how it's possible for an Ne dom not to have at least a touch of agnosticism.

I think being interested in new age or buddhist beliefs has less to do with being NT than it does living in the world today which popularises those things or at least is alienated from the familiar, traditional or "old fashioned" and attracted by the unfamiliar, novel or different.

What is the christianity concept of God? I've studied world religions for a while and the variety and diversity of views about God even, apparently, within single denominations of the single faith is always surprising.

I've come around in time to feel that all faiths, and atheism, could have their value, they are not uniformly valuable I must say, and I'm still disposed to Franis Bacon, one of my personal heroes, view of atheism, that given the choice I'd prefer to believe every spiritual idea as believe in none.