User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: How to Quit 101

MBTI
    ENTP

Default How to Quit 101

Currently I work in a law firm as a legal assistant. I head attorney is an ENTJ, his wife (attorney) is an EN-J, his brother (attorney) is an INFJ and his sister (legal assistant +) is an ENFJ. I am in charge of all of the organizational systems of the office and I have put papers in case and chronological order for 8 hour shifts for a year now. When I finish something it grows back and I never see any results to my work. I have always hated my work, but it got to the point where it is unbearable in about March. My employers are very kind to me and treat me like I am part of the family, but I am getting to a point where the hatred for the work is outweighing my love for my employers. If I were to quit I would most likely start making coffee or become a tutor for a bit more than half the pay per hour, but the work wouldnít be so mind-numbingly repetitive and boring.

If you were in my position, would you quit? How would you go about doing so?

The ENTJ/EN-J used to have their ENTJ and INTJ sons do my job but they hired me because they hated the work. I donít know if that is relevant.

I'm off to work

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bougal View Post
    If you were in my position, would you quit? How would you go about doing so?
    Yes, and I would tell them and give them the time needed to replace me with someone new.

I think it depends on how important the money is to you right now. If it's the difference between going to school and not being able to afford it, it might be best to try to find a way to make your work slightly more tolerable. Since they obviously know the work is boring, your employers might be more likely to allow more flexibility in your work schedule. Maybe you can bargain for a raise, working from home (if possible), or an additional day off? They know that hiring a temp might be more expensive due to service fees and training them on the current way of doing things.

On the other hand, will your current position help you get into law school? Will the law school admissions board ask why you quit your legal assisting job (I think they would.)? If your answer is, "I was bored," they'll be highly suspicious that you'll get bored with law school too. It might just be a matter of finding a better rationale though.

If the extra money is more of a want than a need, I'd quit and find something else. Just remember though that something else has its own negative aspects too. Identify those before you quit.

If it were me, I probably would have quit 6 months ago!

Edit:

If quitting, I would only feel obligated to give the minimum notice specified in my employment agreement. If you can extend more flexibility in this without impacting your new job, that would be a good thing though. At an absolute minimum, give two weeks notice in writing in a courteously-worded and appreciative letter.

Each manager is different, but your employers might actually appreciate you talking to them informally about your desire to change. If you want one of their recommendations for law school, I'd definitely do this. Discussing it with them diplomatically as if you want their advice on the change you desire would be important if you do need anything from them in the future.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Yes, i used to be in work that i didnt like, so i quitted. I rather have no extra money than be in a job that i dont like.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    Yes, and I would tell them and give them the time needed to replace me with someone new.
    For the win
    However, have another job in place before jumping ship
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Alwar View Post
    What he said.

If you don't like your job and you think you can get a new one that will make you a happier person, I would say do it. Just make sure that you give the respectful 2 weeks notice and remain on good terms, just in-case.
    The probability that I was procrastinating when I was typing this post:

P(have big assignment due) = 0.6
    P(posting on TypoC) = 0.2
    P(having big assignment due | posting on TypoC) = 0.7

P(posting on TypoC | having big assignment due) = .......

Eh, I'll finish it later.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I agree with Thursday, find another job first. It's rough out there.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I was in your exact shoes, hun, so I feel your pain. I had an awesome job (by most people's standards), excellent pay, and great employers. But the work was depressing me. It reached into other aspects of my life, and I dreaded waking up in the morning just because I knew waking up meant work. Since I was paying bills and living on my own, I needed the work, so you'd think this would outweigh the work itself. Negative. Some people just aren't meant to push papers, and I am one of those people. It sounds like you are too.

Feel better about your work by searching for another job (in my case, I found work at an auto body repair shop.. the total opposite of what I was doing lol), and give your two weeks notice once you do locate that job. I told my employers I just needed something closer to home, but that I appreciated everything and that I'd stay until they replaced me and help train the new person as well if they wanted.

Be responsible about it, but leave asap. Even though I didn't make as much money (and in retrospect I'd have called myself an idiot because I was literally without food for stretches of time..) I was happier to be out of that cage of a job, I did better in school, and my moral rose as much as it could at that time.

Good luck, and I wish you the best.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

First, I'd definitely make sure you could find another job if you left. A shitty job is, I think, better than no job at all, especially if you do have financial obligations to take care of. Then, I'd make sure that if you do have financial obligations, your second job would be able to cover those obligations. Finally, I think [?] you're planning on something in the legal field, so if there is any chance of advancement or better responsibilities at your current job, I think it would be worth it for the experience and in terms of how it would look on your resume. Also, examine how the unhappiness with your job affects your mental and physical health, schoolwork, work ethics, etc. I know when I have a rough stretch at work, the mental drain does carry over into other aspects of my life, so that's something to consider too.

Once you have good answers for these questions, you should be able to make the best decision.

MBTI
    ENTP

Thank you for all the advise.

At this point I am friends with the general manager at one of the local Starbucks and I am essentially already hired when ever I want to take the position. My two best friends are shift managers, and I hang out will all of the employees - when they have parties it is always starbucks people and Kendra I would be working with friends everyday.

I have been in the legal field since I was 16, so I am well past my 3rd year. I have had internships in family law working under the judges, in the filing unit of the court system and in the DAís office doing work that is exactly like what I am doing now. I have never had a "kid" job, and I think that it would be a refreshing change from mindless filing. I have plenty of other activities that look good on a resume like volunteer work, teaching workshops and mentoring. I am going to be a sociology major before I go to law school so focusing on work like that might be even more beneficial.

I would be making less money per hour, but I would work more hours. That firm just hired their sister to do the human resources part of my job, so I have reduced hours and my responsibilities have become fewer and more boring.

I donít really have any expenditures other than gas, car insurance and fun. Right now I am saving 2/3 of what I make so I donít need to work once I transfer to a University. I am also interested in saving to travel after I am done with my undergrad.

I'm not sure if they would hire another person to take my position over. I actually called the law firm and persuaded them to hire me originally. Before that the INFJ or one of the sons did the filing.

I think I will quit in couple of months so I can say that I was there a year and a half unless anything absolutely breaks me. Right now I hate to wake up and go to work. I dread it. Today I was supposed to come in at 8 but it ended up being 10Ö and now I am typing this instead of working. I feel myself getting bad at my job even though they are just starting to tell me Iím great at it. Iím not getting depressed, but I am getting annoyed and I feel like all of my talents are going unused, and I am hired to do a job that is accomplished by using skills that I am very weak at. Honestly Iím a bit of a slob. Every time they see me they thank me, buy me sushi and tell me that I am the one that makes the office function.

Ne > Ni > Ti > Fi > Te> Fe > Se > Si