• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] How to Quit 101

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Currently I work in a law firm as a legal assistant. I head attorney is an ENTJ, his wife (attorney) is an EN-J, his brother (attorney) is an INFJ and his sister (legal assistant +) is an ENFJ. I am in charge of all of the organizational systems of the office and I have put papers in case and chronological order for 8 hour shifts for a year now. When I finish something it grows back and I never see any results to my work. I have always hated my work, but it got to the point where it is unbearable in about March. My employers are very kind to me and treat me like I am part of the family, but I am getting to a point where the hatred for the work is outweighing my love for my employers. If I were to quit I would most likely start making coffee or become a tutor for a bit more than half the pay per hour, but the work wouldn’t be so mind-numbingly repetitive and boring.

If you were in my position, would you quit? How would you go about doing so?

The ENTJ/EN-J used to have their ENTJ and INTJ sons do my job but they hired me because they hated the work. I don’t know if that is relevant.

I'm off to work :wacko:

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
If you were in my position, would you quit? How would you go about doing so?

Yes, and I would tell them and give them the time needed to replace me with someone new.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
I think it depends on how important the money is to you right now. If it's the difference between going to school and not being able to afford it, it might be best to try to find a way to make your work slightly more tolerable. Since they obviously know the work is boring, your employers might be more likely to allow more flexibility in your work schedule. Maybe you can bargain for a raise, working from home (if possible), or an additional day off? They know that hiring a temp might be more expensive due to service fees and training them on the current way of doing things.

On the other hand, will your current position help you get into law school? Will the law school admissions board ask why you quit your legal assisting job (I think they would.)? If your answer is, "I was bored," they'll be highly suspicious that you'll get bored with law school too. :) It might just be a matter of finding a better rationale though. :D

If the extra money is more of a want than a need, I'd quit and find something else. Just remember though that something else has its own negative aspects too. Identify those before you quit.

If it were me, I probably would have quit 6 months ago! :D

Edit:

If quitting, I would only feel obligated to give the minimum notice specified in my employment agreement. If you can extend more flexibility in this without impacting your new job, that would be a good thing though. At an absolute minimum, give two weeks notice in writing in a courteously-worded and appreciative letter.

Each manager is different, but your employers might actually appreciate you talking to them informally about your desire to change. If you want one of their recommendations for law school, I'd definitely do this. Discussing it with them diplomatically as if you want their advice on the change you desire would be important if you do need anything from them in the future.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, i used to be in work that i didnt like, so i quitted. I rather have no extra money than be in a job that i dont like.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, and I would tell them and give them the time needed to replace me with someone new.

For the win
However, have another job in place before jumping ship

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP

What he said.

If you don't like your job and you think you can get a new one that will make you a happier person, I would say do it. Just make sure that you give the respectful 2 weeks notice and remain on good terms, just in-case.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I agree with Thursday, find another job first. It's rough out there.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I was in your exact shoes, hun, so I feel your pain. I had an awesome job (by most people's standards), excellent pay, and great employers. But the work was depressing me. It reached into other aspects of my life, and I dreaded waking up in the morning just because I knew waking up meant work. Since I was paying bills and living on my own, I needed the work, so you'd think this would outweigh the work itself. Negative. Some people just aren't meant to push papers, and I am one of those people. It sounds like you are too.

Feel better about your work by searching for another job (in my case, I found work at an auto body repair shop.. the total opposite of what I was doing lol), and give your two weeks notice once you do locate that job. I told my employers I just needed something closer to home, but that I appreciated everything and that I'd stay until they replaced me and help train the new person as well if they wanted.

Be responsible about it, but leave asap. Even though I didn't make as much money (and in retrospect I'd have called myself an idiot because I was literally without food for stretches of time..) I was happier to be out of that cage of a job, I did better in school, and my moral rose as much as it could at that time.

Good luck, and I wish you the best.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
First, I'd definitely make sure you could find another job if you left. A shitty job is, I think, better than no job at all, especially if you do have financial obligations to take care of. Then, I'd make sure that if you do have financial obligations, your second job would be able to cover those obligations. Finally, I think [?] you're planning on something in the legal field, so if there is any chance of advancement or better responsibilities at your current job, I think it would be worth it for the experience and in terms of how it would look on your resume. Also, examine how the unhappiness with your job affects your mental and physical health, schoolwork, work ethics, etc. I know when I have a rough stretch at work, the mental drain does carry over into other aspects of my life, so that's something to consider too.

Once you have good answers for these questions, you should be able to make the best decision.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Thank you for all the advise.

At this point I am friends with the general manager at one of the local Starbucks and I am essentially already hired when ever I want to take the position. My two best friends are shift managers, and I hang out will all of the employees - when they have parties it is always starbucks people and Kendra :) I would be working with friends everyday.

I have been in the legal field since I was 16, so I am well past my 3rd year. I have had internships in family law working under the judges, in the filing unit of the court system and in the DA’s office doing work that is exactly like what I am doing now. I have never had a "kid" job, and I think that it would be a refreshing change from mindless filing. I have plenty of other activities that look good on a resume like volunteer work, teaching workshops and mentoring. I am going to be a sociology major before I go to law school so focusing on work like that might be even more beneficial.

I would be making less money per hour, but I would work more hours. That firm just hired their sister to do the human resources part of my job, so I have reduced hours and my responsibilities have become fewer and more boring.

I don’t really have any expenditures other than gas, car insurance and fun. Right now I am saving 2/3 of what I make so I don’t need to work once I transfer to a University. I am also interested in saving to travel after I am done with my undergrad.

I'm not sure if they would hire another person to take my position over. I actually called the law firm and persuaded them to hire me originally. :) Before that the INFJ or one of the sons did the filing.

I think I will quit in couple of months so I can say that I was there a year and a half unless anything absolutely breaks me. Right now I hate to wake up and go to work. I dread it. Today I was supposed to come in at 8 but it ended up being 10… and now I am typing this instead of working. I feel myself getting bad at my job even though they are just starting to tell me I’m great at it. I’m not getting depressed, but I am getting annoyed and I feel like all of my talents are going unused, and I am hired to do a job that is accomplished by using skills that I am very weak at. Honestly I’m a bit of a slob. Every time they see me they thank me, buy me sushi and tell me that I am the one that makes the office function.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm, I may need to consider something along these lines as well. I still want to wait till October to see what the fate of my job may be; but after that I have at least from then till April to find something new if I don't get a different (more satisfying) position.

chegra

MBTI Type
INFJ
Is it me or are there too much Intuitives in that work place.

It seems like a job that ESTJ or any other SJ would like.

But I think most Intuitives would be bored.
(It seems dominated by NJ - They need variety )

But yea, follow Thursday advice

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
They like me because I am similar to the EN-J wife at the age of 19 or 20. I think they see me as a pet project they are helping get into law school. They are some of the nicest people I have ever come in contact with. That is why I am hesitant about quitting. The couple lives by the philosophy that the children's lives they touch is their legacy so they generously help any teen if they can. They take their son's friends to take the assessment test for the local JC and help them buy their books and they rent rooms at reduced prices to teens so they can save for school.

I was telling my mom (ESfJ) about my job and why I hated it, and she said that she would find it very fun. It is a job for an SJ. The other people that do my job in the suite are both ESFJs.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
It is much clearer now: quit. :D

(As long as it doesn't hurt your chances of getting into law school somehow.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Impossible !

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QUjGxgbC68"].[/YOUTUBE]

locus8

MBTI Type
INTP
I would suggest carefully examining the alternatives before taking a decision. Not only is it important to weigh the pros and cons, but to try to picture yourself in the alternative and how you would feel. I don't think it's easy to do this naturally, and it takes some work, hence the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome.

MBTI Type
INxJ
First, I'd definitely make sure you could find another job if you left. A shitty job is, I think, better than no job at all, especially if you do have financial obligations to take care of.

Spot on. It's better to eat and have a roof over your head. That's first priority. If you can ensure that elsewhere, put in your 2 weeks notice.

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
I'd try to leave on as good of terms as possible, since that's quite a chunk of time to put into something without getting a good reference. I might even considering lying as for the reason I'm leaving if they pressured me and it came down to that.

LostInNerSpace

MBTI Type
INTP
The grass is greener where? I already said I will not help the other side win. I'm simply going to quit this forum and quit trying to help you. What needs to be weighed?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
If they're like family, I'd simply tell them what you've told us. Just tell them that you think they're wonderful, and you appreciate the amazing opportunity they've given you, but that the monotony of the actual task is starting to get to you, and that you really need some variety when you come to work every day. Maybe tell them that as a lawyer, you'd get to analyze situations and how best to attack them and win the case, which is a mental challenge you'd appreciate. But filing, no matter how great the environment, isn't giving you the challenge you need, and it's absolutely nothing personal, but you feel like it's time to find something else.

I think they'll understand. Heck, they may even try to find something around there that would suit your personality better. But likely, at the very least, they'll hate to see you go, but ultimately understand and wish you well.