• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs Views on family values

Lightyear

My take on family values: Appreciate them, love them (if they deserve it, because they are not automatically better people just because they are your mom, dad or sibling)

Wow, in this thread constantly the if they deserve it vibe seems to be coming through, it makes me almost wish that I won't have an NT child since my kid might come to the conclusion that I am not deserving of its love. At least my NT mum loves me simply because I am her daughter (and she secretly even still cares about my brother even though they haven't spoken to each other in years) but an NT child seems to be a much harsher judge. This coldness is kind of scary and a big turn-off.

I find being around my INTP brother exhausting and difficult and he most certainly isn't my favourite person but I remember at one point me and my dad hadn't been able to reach him for quite a while via email or phone and since he had been lonely and depressed around this time I was seriously worrying that he had done something to himself. At that point my negative attitude towards him suddenly fell away, he was after all still my brother and though I didn't like spending time with him I still cared if he was alive and well or not. I think a lot of times when it really comes down to it blood truly is thicker than water.

L

Lasting_Pain

Hmm, family values are a waste of time. They differ for each family, and are overly subjective.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Wow, in this thread constantly the if they deserve it vibe seems to be coming through, it makes me almost wish that I won't have an NT child since my kid might come to the conclusion that I am not deserving of its love.

I find being around my INTP brother exhausting and difficult and he most certainly isn't my favourite person but I remember at one point me and my dad hadn't been able to reach him for quite a while via email or phone and since he had been lonely and depressed around this time I was seriously worrying that he had done something to himself. At that point my negative attitude towards him suddenly fell away, he was after all still my brother and though I didn't like spending time with him I still cared if he was alive and well or not. I think a lot of times when it really comes down to it blood truly is thicker than water.

1. Do you also think a dead person deserves respect from you, simply because he's dead? If that person wasn't somebody you respected while he was alive. I'm using the same logic with my family. If they don't deserve my love and respect as people, why should that change just because they are "family"?

2. I'm going though a similar situation with my kid sister right now. She's going through something mental, and she's putting everybody around her though hell to get her way. And she doesn't care about how her behaviour affects other peoples lives, including her "family". I'm putting up with her bullshit because I care for my parents and I know they want her alive. But as far as my sister goes, she's lost my respect for her and I can't say I'm very interested in how she's doing. She's treating me, my mom and dad like shit and she doesn't care, making it impossible for me to respect her. Let alone feel love for her. What does blood have to do with it?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd be willing to go as far as saying that family values are unhealthy and bad.

In our family everyone has to pull their own weight in life. None are carried. We've minimal family values and do not support each other purely for the sake of being family. Ofcourse if a family member does everything in his/her power and comes short, aid will come. But not before it is clear that they've done their part. I think this is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with this.

When people help family members out simply because they are family. People will grow up sheltered and dependant on one and other. And this could be considered unhealthy in many situations.

:p

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9

In our family everyone has to pull their own weight in life. None are carried. We've minimal family values and do not support each other purely for the sake of being family. Ofcourse if a family member does everything in his/her power and comes short, aid will come. But not before it is clear that they've done their part. I think this is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with this.

When people help family members out simply because they are family. People will grow up sheltered and dependant on one and other. And this could be considered unhealthy in many situations.

Agreed. I also believe in letting people learn from their own mistakes. So if a family member is having a hard time, like my kid sister who's out drinking and refusing to come home at night, I believe it's for her own good to let her learn her lessons the hard way by fucking up and paying the consequences. That's how most people develop problemsolving-skills anyway.

Grungemouse

Widdles in your cream.
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram

In our family everyone has to pull their own weight in life. None are carried. We've minimal family values and do not support each other purely for the sake of being family. Of course if a family member does everything in his/her power and comes short, aid will come. But not before it is clear that they've done their part. I think this is a good thing. There is nothing wrong with this.

:p

That's precisely how my family is. My parents tell me that say, if I was in a tight financial spot but I had my own job, they would give me help. If I didn't have a job, they'd put the phone down. If they've seen evidence of me trying to support myself, but falling short then they'd help in an instant. I also remember my mum telling me that if I fail my first year of University, I can forget about them helping with the funds; they don't want to waste any more money in what is clearly a "doss". It seems my mum believes that the sweat of a hard day's labour is thicker than blood.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Family values are instilled into the soul.

Given my new found enlightment, I'ld like to say:

I got my Se from Dad , my Fi from Mom and their million dollars they will get from me one day :)

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Wow, in this thread constantly the if they deserve it vibe seems to be coming through, it makes me almost wish that I won't have an NT child since my kid might come to the conclusion that I am not deserving of its love. At least my NT mum loves me simply because I am her daughter (and she secretly even still cares about my brother even though they haven't spoken to each other in years) but an NT child seems to be a much harsher judge. This coldness is kind of scary and a big turn-off.

Don't worry, in most cases the most logical thing to do is love and support our families ;)

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Don't worry, in most cases the most logical thing to do is love and support our families ;)
Assuming everything is equal, sure. When it becomes an issue is if someone behaves poorly. There's no reason to give them a special pass just because of the coincidence of genetics. If they prove to do more harm than good, it's more logical to just sever ties and let them go their own way.

I don't have the energy to put up with other people's bullshit; I've got enough of my own to figure out.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Assuming everything is equal, sure. When it becomes an issue is if someone behaves poorly. There's no reason to give them a special pass just because of the coincidence of genetics. If they prove to do more harm than good, it's more logical to just sever ties and let them go their own way.

:nice:

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
I think like most of the people who have posted here - if I like my family members as persons they are a part of my life. If not, there is no point to talk to them or visit them or whatever simply because we happen to share some genes.

Then again - it's not that absolute.

Being 'family' means that I am a little more patient with someone than I would be with a stranger, it also means that I can forgive more easily. But it also means that if I reject him, I probably reject him for real as I have really thought it through and reached a conclusion it's for the best. To make it short - being 'family' means that I pay more attention to given person and I feel a little stronger to him, be the 'feeling' forgiving, patience, hatred or whatever.

Luckily I either love most of my family or am feeling very positively neutral about them. I love my father's side of the family a lot, as they tend to be NT-s (both healthy or not-so-healthy) or very healthy NF-s. N is very high and valued. Asking questions, trying new things and hobbies is encouraged as is challenging each others' views on logical basis.

My father has taught me a lot, explained me everything from how the clouds form to different politic systems. My grandfather told me fairy-tales that he made up, took me out painting with water-colours when I was little and explained me how houses are built :p (he was an architect). My grandmother took me to the forest and taught me trees, animals and plants and explained how nature 'works'.

Any questions why I love them? :)

My father is definitely an NT but I can't decide which one. If I'm trying to type him letter-by-letter, I get ENTJ, but the description doesn't work on him. ENTP sounds much better, but in that case he is much healthier than me and also more J - and as much as I know family legends, he always has been a J.

But my brother fits the ENTJ description extremely well. He is intimidating to most of the people and he also wants to be. He is a director in an international company... and his nickname in that company is Czar (I think that tells a lot about his leading style :p). Too bad I'm probably the only one younger than him and female (GASP!!!) who is not afraid of him but actually tells him to cut the crap, stop being a wannabe alpha male and REALLY be a man for once. I have also told him several times that I am not his employee nor his girlfriend, I am his sister and therefore his equal - if he thinks I should do something he should EXPLAIN WHY not jut TELL ME.

I guess it all hasn't been a very good strategy to build a loving siblingly relationship. At this point we haven't seen or talked to each other for two years and I don't think it's going to change.

------------------

I forgot to quote you but I wanted to say something to Salt n' pepper. I don't know your story at all and I don't know what you have considered or not. But just in case your story happens to be similar to mine...

Just try to be a bit easier on your troubled sister. Talk to her and get HER side of the story too. Things are always not so black and white, even if they seem to be.

I have been in that role of your troubled sister and my brother reached a very similar conclusion as you did - not worth any respect. The thing is - he reached his conclusion only after listening to my parents. Who actually didn't have a very good idea of what and why I was doing.

Do you know how fairy tales and urban legends come to be? Someone tells another one something, perhaps not mentioning something important (as it is supposed to be something that 'everyone knows' - but the other one doesn't) therefore the other one gets a bit flawed impression... then the second person tells a third person the 'story', perhaps forgetting something in the process, and the third one doesn't quite understand, therefore gets a bit flawed impression... etc etc etc.

My brother's opinion was based on an urban legend, basically. I know this for a fact because he told me off once, telling me that I was not worth any respect for doing this and that... and these were things I had NEVER done.

He had his opinion based on an urban legend, basically. He never cared to ask ME.

But they listen to all parties even in the court before making a decision. Just think about it.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I forgot to quote you but I wanted to say something to Salt n' pepper. I don't know your story at all and I don't know what you have considered or not. But just in case your story happens to be similar to mine...

Just try to be a bit easier on your troubled sister. Talk to her and get HER side of the story too. Things are always not so black and white, even if they seem to be.

I have been in that role of your troubled sister and my brother reached a very similar conclusion as you did - not worth any respect. The thing is - he reached his conclusion only after listening to my parents. Who actually didn't have a very good idea of what and why I was doing.

Do you know how fairy tales and urban legends come to be? Someone tells another one something, perhaps not mentioning something important (as it is supposed to be something that 'everyone knows' - but the other one doesn't) therefore the other one gets a bit flawed impression... then the second person tells a third person the 'story', perhaps forgetting something in the process, and the third one doesn't quite understand, therefore gets a bit flawed impression... etc etc etc.

My brother's opinion was based on an urban legend, basically. I know this for a fact because he told me off once, telling me that I was not worth any respect for doing this and that... and these were things I had NEVER done.

He had his opinion based on an urban legend, basically. He never cared to ask ME.

But they listen to all parties even in the court before making a decision. Just think about it.

Thanks for the heads up! Trust me on this, I have first hand information and that's what I'm basing my decision on. Hope you're doing better now!

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Thanks for the heads up! Trust me on this, I have first hand information and that's what I'm basing my decision on. Hope you're doing better now!
Good to hear.
And my troubled past is... well... past. Rough puberty, you can say :p
(But I still wasn't as bad as my bro thought I was)

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Not really needed in my opinion. Having deep interpersonal connections with one's genetic relations is all well and good, but you shouldn't try to force the connection to exist if it doesn't already. I don't really interact with my family in a way I would consider meaningful. I live with them, so I try to be a good house-mate and ensure they don't have to put up with my bullshit and personal life. And I expect the same treatement in return.

I do have people I would consider family in the emotional sense of the word but its an random event. I never really know who will become of my trusted close companions, but I know it when I feel it.

freedom geek

MBTI Type
INTx
Enneagram
I've never really agreed with them and I don't think that is simply because I have no desire to have children whatsoever.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I love certain people in my family and have a great respect for them. Others, not so much.

Although, it's good to at least try to cultivate a good relationship with your family because they're a lot harder to get rid of then the average joe.

'Family Values' as the conservative talking point sound like they would work if everyone were a robot/were extremely dedicated to making things work. You know. Kind of like communism, I guess.