Eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Blood is not important to me.
    What kind of demon are you?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

My take on family values: Appreciate them, love them (if they deserve it, because they are not automatically better people just because they are your mom, dad or sibling) and do try to rise to the occasion, since that's what I'd generally try to do for people I care for. But don't make them apart of your decision making process. And that's key and the only way I could imagine having a healthy relationship with my family. Up to a certain age you have to, of cause, but I'm 23 now and that age has long passed. Also, I think it is important, for your own development, to not feel like you owe them anything. I get pissed when people think that I'm obligated to feel a certain way, or do a certain thing for them - "because they are your family". Honestly, that statement doesn't make much sense to me, and I don't think I understand it.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Same.

The only family members I like, are individuals I'd choose to be acquainted with even if we didn't share genes. I find it irrational to be close to anyone because I'm "supposed to".
    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I agree with this.
    +1

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Mm. It's not like anyone ever asked to be born. One can be grateful to be born into a circumstance where one happened to be treated well, until such a point as one was self-sufficient. But I don't see where obligation comes into that. No one signed a contract.

As for me, now I have to deal with this damned life, almost completely unprepared. I can be grateful that I wasn't treated more poorly, as so many people are. And that is something. But that's about all there is.

And I'm going to be saddled with this for, what, another fifty years, maybe? Thanks, guys. Now get away from me and let me figure this out.

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

In retrospect, it's kind of interesting that my father would on a daily basis drum into me how lucky I was that he didn't beat me. Not everyone was fortunate enough to grow up under those conditions, he'd tell me.

And, well. Technically he was correct.

Widdles in your cream.
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    In retrospect, it's kind of interesting that my father would on a daily basis drum into me how lucky I was that he didn't beat me. Not everyone was fortunate enough to grow up under those conditions, he'd tell me.

And, well. Technically he was correct.
    You should have retorted with, "Wow, you're lucky you didn't beat me as well. Because when you're old and too frail to look after yourself, I'm the one in charge of your welfare. Later on we'll see who 'fell down the stairs'."

MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

Nice thought. Wouldn't work. Too much of a guilt complex going on.

Not allowed to complain about anything or hope for better because however bad it gets it'll never be the worst possible scenario. Also, there's nothing I can do about it.

This lesson has served me well in later life.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Aderack View Post
    Mm. It's not like anyone ever asked to be born. One can be grateful to be born into a circumstance where one happened to be treated well, until such a point as one was self-sufficient. But I don't see where obligation comes into that. No one signed a contract.
    My thoughts exactly. And honestly, I was thinking about this yesterday. Life, existence, is like this gift that you never asked for. Like the huge easel your grandmother gave you last Christmas, that you never wished for, and now she wants you to "do something with it". (gah pressure, expectations). You can either try to paint something nice on it, sell it, make a profit. Or you can ignore it, let it stay in the corner and collect dust. Or, you can return it. Either way, it's yours now and you can do whatever the hell you want with it. Because if I knew that life was a gift that came with strings attached, I would have never accepted it.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Family values have to come from both sides. Therefor, I do not value family-ship, but rather choose to either respect or disrespect a family member based on his/her worth.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Family values have to come from both sides. Therefor, I do not value family-ship, but rather choose to either respect or disrespect a family member based on his/her worth.
    Well put.